Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Also, how many times does KC give up possession dumping and chasing pucks he never should have dumped in the first place. KC is like a dog playing fetch by himself.
Lol I love the guy, but that’s a pretty accurate description of his zone entry attempts. He does it almost every time.

Sometimes I feel like he is underestimating his own ability to deke his way through while holding on to the puck, but then again he shows flashes of that capability. I think it’s just a case of making the safe play that makes Mo happy and keeps Connor on the first line.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I think his production lines up quite well with his toi and no pp1.
Don’t think we will ever get more out of him unless he gets pp1/more toi.
Makes a lot of sense. I wonder if a new Center at #2, one with proven offensive skills but has also evolved into an above 50% face-off man with a solid 200 foot game, positionally responsible would drive Ehlers'scoring more and result in more ice-time because the coach would have no choice but to play them more. Who could that Center be?? Hearing lots of talk about Max Domi from Mtl. My eye-test in 2 games this August restart says he has shown glimpses of close to star level play.
Another one I hear for a younger player just starting to prove his capabilities and shown NHL fit already is Anthony Cirelli, in TBL. NOT sure of his offensive chops but if he could feed Ehlers and Laine and control the middle, maybe? Can we pry him out of Tampa??

Reactions: hn777

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Lol I love the guy, but that’s a pretty accurate description of his zone entry attempts. He does it almost every time.

Sometimes I feel like he is underestimating his own ability to deke his way through while holding on to the puck, but then again he shows flashes of that capability. I think it’s just a case of making the safe play that makes Mo happy and keeps Connor on the first line.
I think more coaching control and efforts on "changing" Connors play is more appropriate lately, than trying to change Ehlers style to fit coaches "mantra". Connor is showing way too much, "WTFudge-cake-brownies do I do now that I've deked almost everybody out?" Just shoot for your spots when your free for the 1/2 second you've created with your dazzle and speed. He is the one not shooting now and giving the puck away too often, not Ehlers as much.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
A good center is one of the things the pro scout in The Athletic article mentions. It's all about opportunity and then him actually stepping up when he gets it. I think he has consistently stepped up when he plays with Scheifele but still waiting for him to click with another center.

Mastering the game-within-a-game: Nikolaj Ehlers scores his first playoff goal

This was also interesting

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 2.53.03 PM.png

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You’re way overanalyzing one play and extrapolating that throughout two games. We can’t get too caught up on any individual plays right now good or bad. We’re two games in after a 4 month layoff. Gotta take the positives and build on those because there’s been a lot of mistakes. We’re not watching polished hockey right now from either team.
You don't want to be too hard on the players and yet in the other thread you were talking about how useless you think Roslovic has been even though he has already 2 points which is great for a bottom 6 guy, yet, you want to give one of your superstars a pass and chalk it up to rust. :huh: I personally hold our stars to a higher standard.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think more coaching control and efforts on "changing" Connors play is more appropriate lately, than trying to change Ehlers style to fit coaches "mantra". Connor is showing way too much, "WTFudge-cake-brownies do I do now that I've deked almost everybody out?" Just shoot for your spots when your free for the 1/2 second you've created with your dazzle and speed. He is the one not shooting now and giving the puck away too often, not Ehlers as much.
I think you are being too kind to Ehlers and hard on Connor who has been one of our better players the 2 games.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think you are being too kind to Ehlers and hard on Connor who has been one of our better players the 2 games.
Connor has been terrible. WTF shoots on a 2 on 0 and doesn't score. Connor really shows his weakness when he's not out there with a play driver or puck control center. He's great in tight, but he's pretty weak in his own end and carrying the puck on the rush.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
A good center is one of the things the pro scout in The Athletic article mentions. It's all about opportunity and then him actually stepping up when he gets it. I think he has consistently stepped up when he plays with Scheifele but still waiting for him to click with another center.

Mastering the game-within-a-game: Nikolaj Ehlers scores his first playoff goal

This was also interesting

View attachment 357799

Thanks for this. Nice to see that one NHL head coach sees that elite ability in Ehlers, maybe even has a great centre in mind to play alongside him.

I wonder if Nik reads this article and maybe dials up his agent...

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I remember after last year, lots of people online were suggesting trading Ehlers and I remember saying that if the Jets gave up on him this early they'd come to regret it. He's still SO young and figuring out his playoff game. Stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00