Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Mark yes, Marty no.

You could be very well right -- I forget which Howe was better. I think you get my point though - "blood lines" have to be taken into consideration, as they increase the chances of success. Just like in thoroughbred horse racing -- it's all about pedigree. In Nolan Patrick's case, he was rated "tops" above all other juniors ( 2nd overall) He could really turn out to be a winner, with little risk to the Jets, for a guy like Trouba, who we're losing anyways.

BTW -- I only named a few -- but there's a lot more. With that said, there is certainly no guarantees.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Lol, Oilers fans, again wanting to trade for Ehlers.

Off-Season Targets: Nikolaj Ehlers

Wow what a garbage offer.

I still don't understand the argument that if a team needs to make a trade for salary purposes that they should trade a young talented player on a great deal to get there. Why would we move a good contract like Ehlers?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I still don't understand the argument that if a team needs to make a trade for salary purposes that they should trade a young talented player on a great deal to get there. Why would we move a good contract like Ehlers?
because people over-value picks and prospects. they think trading Ehlers (a proven player on a great deal) for picks+prospects is better than trading a contract like Kulikov or Perreault where you might have to attach a low-end pick or prospect to move

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016

Right? Imagine signing Ehlers today... Or last summer at least.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Thinking big picture it doesn’t really make sense to have 4 high priced wingers...Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler and Connor. Add in a 5th with Perreault making over $4M. Especially with C and D being more important positions. IMO, you almost have to trade one out.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Thinking big picture it doesn’t really make sense to have 4 high priced wingers...Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler and Connor. Add in a 5th with Perreault making over $4M. Especially with C and D being more important positions. IMO, you almost have to trade one out.
It's something of an odd management of money. That said, Perreault should be first to go. I'm not sure that Ehlers should be second. That deal is going to look so good moving forward, allowing you to allocate more to C/D.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Feels like there is a bit of smoke about him being shopped around... I can't wait to see what the team looks like come September!
I don't think Chevy is shopping Ehlers. That would be stupid, if only because it would reduce his market value. I would bet that quite a few GMs are inquiring about Ehlers, though, and that Chevy is listening to everything at this point. If a GM knocks his socks off with an offer like a young stud 2C or a legit top-pairing D, he'd be tempted to move Ehlers, but short of that I think it's likely all just talk.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't think Chevy is shopping Ehlers. That would be stupid, if only because it would reduce his market value. I would bet that quite a few GMs are inquiring about Ehlers, though, and that Chevy is listening to everything at this point. If a GM knocks his socks off with an offer like a young stud 2C or a legit top-pairing D, he'd be tempted to move Ehlers, but short of that I think it's likely all just talk.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's just talk either but I do think Chevy will need to fill the hole (if) Trouba leaves and the only non-touchable players that would return anything close to that is Connor/Ehlers imo. With how those to have been played it would appear Connor is highest in the pecking order and that leaves Ehlers. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ehlers team has asked to be shipped out but that's speculation.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers and a 2nd to the Ducks for Lindholm.
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The idea of trading Ehlers or Connor depends greatly on how high the Jets are on Vesalainen. If they think he is a legit top-6 LW then it makes some sense to move a LW to strengthen their positional gaps - primarily C and RD.

I am quite high on KVes. If the Jets do move a LW I would prefer to keep Ehlers over Connor.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Any scenario where the Jets trade Perreault they will probably lose the trade. He’s still a good player. You don’t get better by trading good players. Trade or buy out Kulikov and don’t re-sign Myers or Chiarot to overpaid deals and the cap issues are mostly solved. As long as Connor and Laine aren’t overpaid.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
KC and a 3rd and I'd do it.
Lindholm Morrissey Niku Samberg...that side would look very good if they don't have problems signing Morrissey.

I really don't think the Jets need to add a third there at all. KC is a young player coming off his ELC and put up back to back 30+ goal seasons. Lindholm is 3 years older and closer to UFA.

Niku is a RD.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Here's a "Wild" proposal...

To MINN: Trouba + Connor (Ehlers)
To WPG: Dumba + Zucker

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Further to the "wild" proposal...

upload_2019-6-15_1-35-3.png

upload_2019-6-15_1-39-22.png

Evolving Hockey GAR (past 3 seasons):

upload_2019-6-15_1-51-46.png

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Matthew Perreault on his own has negative value. 39 points last year and 30 points this year. Declining production and a $4 million cap hit for the next 2 seasons. The Jets would have to give up a second or third rounder to rid themselves of his contract.

Sure, a team like Ottawa will be looking to reach the cap floor in all likelihood. However, there will be other teams like the Jets in a cap crunch that will be looking to dump players that no longer fit in their player budget. Ottawa can simply play the teams off one another to see who would offer the most enticing deal for a cap dump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad