Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
It seems to me that 95% of players never reach their 'full potential'.
Serious question, what's anybody's 'full potential'? Is it what they actually accomplish, or what a bunch of people in front of keyboards say it is? Because unless everyone is a bunch of psychics, how could anyone possibly know?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm at the point where I hope they trade him, free up some cap space, and bring in a 2C or Trouba replacement. Seems like a win/win.

The problem with trading Ehlers, is that we'd lose the tremendous contribution the Dashing Dane makes here on our forum. I don't know if we can afford this to happen. :huh: -- this would be devastating to our board here.

Reactions: sipowicz

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Ehlers and Trouba to the Flyers for Sanheim, Patrick and their 1st?
NO! Patrick is even nowadays overrated. Not really that skilled, and an awful risk also through being way too injury prone. I would avoid him by all means. I know he’s originally a local boy, but he just isn’t sadly worth of throwing Ehlers away. Even though I’m not the biggest fan of the way that Ehlers has been playing for the last two seasons, he has still way more skill and potential than Patrick has.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It seems to me that 95% of players never reach their 'full potential'.
Serious question, what's anybody's 'full potential'? Is it what they actually accomplish, or what a bunch of people in front of keyboards say it is? Because unless everyone is a bunch of psychics, how could anyone possibly know?

Ehlers looked like he was going to become elite in his first couple seasons with the Jets, lately he is beginning to look slightly better than average but with long scoring droughts, guy isn't untouchable.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Ehlers looked like he was going to become elite in his first couple seasons with the Jets, lately he is beginning to look slightly better than average but with long scoring droughts, guy isn't untouchable.

Most players would run into scoring slumps without pp1 ice time. That being said, Ehlers had a disapointing year, but wasnt as bad as most of his team mates. He was a net positive player, not many Jets were. His 17/18 season was terrific though.

I hope he will be traded and finally be on pp1 and get more minutes. Will be good for his development.
(Fwiw, I do not think it is a mistake Ehlers isn’t on pp1, I think Maurice is using the correct pp1 line-up)

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Ehlers needs more time in the NHL - hoping he starts seeing the ice better and uses his line mates more effectively.
He plays like he's still in Halifax - trying to do too much, hanging onto the puck too long.
If he figures it out, he will be dynamic -
I think the Jets recognize this and will be patient with him.

Connor is similar in that he needs to figure a few things out as well - I'm still looking at both of them as the future of the org but with a ways to go yet.

I'll continue to stick to this POV rather than harping on how he's under utilized, poorly coached, wrong line mates or not enough ice time.

Reactions: Ippenator and GNP

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Ehlers and Connor both went through stretches of drought.
Connor I believe has had more opportunity to succeed overall.
Ehlers is amazing with zone entries he needs to stay... Connor too
I’m semi loopy .
What was the question again?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
NO! Patrick is even nowadays overrated. Not really that skilled, and an awful risk also through being way too injury prone. I would avoid him by all means. I know he’s originally a local boy, but he just isn’t sadly worth of throwing Ehlers away. Even though I’m not the biggest fan of the way that Ehlers has been playing for the last two seasons, he has still way more skill and potential than Patrick has.

Interesting post there IPP, and I view you as someone with a good eye for hockey talent. I don't understand your post though ? but you could be right on Patrick ? Can you explain why you think he's overrated ?

What your saying is that you believe you are right over all the pro hockey scouts, who had Nolan Patrick rated # 1 overall for a period of time, so he must have some decent talent.

I have not got a chance to watch him, as I only watch Jet's games, but don't you think it's to early to call him a bust ? Look how long it took Scheifele and other 1st round picks to get into their primes. Some guys take some time.

Patrick may or may not be a risk, but I would think "most" 1st or 2nd overall picks become pretty good NHLr's . There are exceptions to the rule though with Yakapov, Daigle, Wickenheiser, and guys like Burmistrov, with the Jets.

Why do you feel this way about Patrick ? -- or is it just a gut feel ?

There's one thing I'm sure of - trading Ehlers, who will be a reliable 60 point plus player, for an unproven Patrick, would be outright dumb. Trading Trouba for Patrick would be "smart", as Trouba is only here for another year, and likely will be traded before that.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Interesting post there IPP, and I view you as someone with a good eye for hockey talent. I don't understand your post though ? but you could be right on Patrick ? Can you explain why you think he's overrated ?

What your saying is that you believe you are right over all the pro hockey scouts, who had Nolan Patrick rated # 1 overall for a period of time, so he must have some decent talent.

I have not got a chance to watch him, as I only watch Jet's games, but don't you think it's to early to call him a bust ? Look how long it took Scheifele and other 1st round picks to get into their primes. Some guys take some time.

Patrick may or may not be a risk, but I would think "most" 1st or 2nd overall picks become pretty good NHLr's . There are exceptions to the rule though with Yakapov, Daigle, Wickenheiser, and guys like Burmistrov, with the Jets.

Why do you feel this way about Patrick ? -- or is it just a gut feel ?

There's one thing I'm sure of - trading Ehlers, who will be a reliable 60 point plus player, for an unproven Patrick, would be outright dumb. Trading Trouba for Patrick would be "smart", as Trouba is only here for another year, and likely will be traded before that.
Yes, I think that Patrick is still quite clearly overrated. I have seen him play in about 40 games altogether and I haven’t really liked that much what I have seen. Of course some good plays, goals and passes too, but in general I don’t see him having that much skill to be excited. Sure he might develop to even a second line center one day, but I honestly don’t see him really that close to that level at the moment, and with his pretty bad injury history, it’s also very uncertain how his development will go in the future.

Patrick’s injury history and the lack of any real special skills were to me that obvious red flags why I can't understand what the hell so many scouts saw in him to seriously see him even close to a number 1 pick in his draft. I had already before his draft Hischier, Heiskanen, Pettersson and Makar all clearly ahead of Patrick, and with looking at those players now I think it’s pretty hard to say that all those scouts were right and I was wrong. I would pretty much say the opposite.

Of course I have been sometimes even badly wrong about some talent. Thinking about three years ago that I was pretty sure that Mikko Rantanen wouldn’t become better than a good 3rd liner in the NHL, or at best a mediocre 2nd liner. I didn’t really ever doubt his skills though, but I seriously did doubt if his intensity and will to improve would be good enough to ever be a true NHL star. Oh how wrong about him I was!

But in general I have been pretty right with most of the talents that I have followed still. Never liked Puljujärvi that much, and I questioned especially his hockey IQ quite much already years ago. Mostly scouts were praising his hockey IQ then. Now you will for sure not find many of them thinking very highly of his hockey IQ at the moment. I was also never high on Crouse and thought that he was seriously overrated as a prospect, and seems pretty much that my thoughts about him have been correct.

Of course as I already said, I’m not anything like perfect, and I might as well be wrong about Patrick in the end (just like I was about Rantanen), but honestly right now it’s not looking that great for Patrick yet (especially with his injury proneness). He might even be an average class 2nd line center in the NHL one day, but I really don’t see him ever being anything better than that. And the Jets need something clearly better as their number 2 center in my opinion. And if Ehlers is really traded, I would want something better in return too. But only time will tell really if I’m right or wrong about him. This is just how I think about him at the moment though.

Oh, and I do agree with you for sure about your point for trading Trouba for Patrick, although with Patrick’s injury history, I would still want to get some 2nd round pick in return though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommigun and GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes, I think that Patrick is still quite clearly overrated. I have seen him play in about 40 games altogether and I haven’t really liked that much what I have seen. Of course some good plays, goals and passes too, but in general I don’t see him having that much skill to be excited. Sure he might develop to even a second line center one day, but I honestly don’t see him really that close to that level at the moment, and with his pretty bad injury history, it’s also very uncertain how his development will go in the future.

Patrick’s injury history and the lack of any real special skills were to me that obvious red flags why I can't understand what the hell so many scouts saw in him to seriously see him even close to a number 1 pick in his draft. I had already before his draft Hischier, Heiskanen, Pettersson and Makar all clearly ahead of Patrick, and with looking at those players now I think it’s pretty hard to say that all those scouts were right and I was wrong. I would pretty much say the opposite.

Of course I have been sometimes even badly wrong about some talent. Thinking about three years ago that I was pretty sure that Mikko Rantanen wouldn’t become better than a good 3rd liner in the NHL, or at best a mediocre 2nd liner. I didn’t really ever doubt his skills though, but I seriously did doubt if his intensity and will to improve would be good enough to ever be a true NHL star. Oh how wrong about him I was!

But in general I have been pretty right with most of the talents that I have followed still. Never liked Puljujärvi that much, and I questioned especially his hockey IQ quite much already years ago. Mostly scouts were praising his hockey IQ then. Now you will for sure not find many of them thinking very highly of his hockey IQ at the moment. I was also never high on Crouse and thought that he was seriously overrated as a prospect, and seems pretty much that my thoughts about him have been correct.

Of course as I already said, I’m not anything like perfect, and I might as well be wrong about Patrick in the end (just like I was about Rantanen), but honestly right now it’s not looking that great for Patrick yet (especially with his injury proneness). He might even be an average class 2nd line center in the NHL one day, but I really don’t see him ever being anything better than that. And the Jets need something clearly better as their number 2 center in my opinion. And if Ehlers is really traded, I would want something better in return too. But only time will tell really if I’m right or wrong about him. This is just how I think about him at the moment though.

Oh, and I do agree with you for sure about your point for trading Trouba for Patrick, although with Patrick’s injury history, I would still want to get some 2nd round pick in return though.

You may well be right on Nolan Patrick, and the Flyers must be feeling the same way as you are. Your record is pretty good from what you say except for Rattanen. Nobody can be right about every player. Boston gave up on Wheeler, and I think Bufflein was an 8th rounder, who we got from Chicago, for not that much.

Here is the importannt part to this deal - if it were to happen. Firstly, we're not going to get a "proven" top notch young 2nd line center for Trouba, as Trouba only has 1 year left.

If this deal were to be made --we're gambling a bit , that Patrick will mature and turn out the way the scouts thought he would. The Flyers would be gambling that Trouba will resign. Both clubs would be gambling. The Jet's wouldn't be gambling that much, because we're losing Trouba anyways, as he's not resigning here.

At the very worst, I think with Patrick's pedigree he should work out to be at least a 2nd line center equal to Little in his prime, and if that happens, we get a "real good return" for Trouba. We could end up getting nothing, or just risky picks for him, so this is not a bad deal, trading for Patrick. If I were the GM -- I'd be giving this some serious thought, considering the situation.

I just wouldn't want to give up one of our young proven players, but I wouldn't care to much losing Trouba, and getting the best we can for him. Maybe Patrick could turn out to be a Rattanen -- and we could come out a big winner. It's possible your wrong on him - hope so, if the Jet's trade for him -with Trouba, as a trade return to Philly.

Patrick's father, and his father's brother were both great NHLrs, and that Hockey bloodline runs in the family. I saw his Uncle play, and he was a fantastic defenseman.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We saw how well bloodlines worked out with Lukas Sutter.

Well yes, and we saw how bloodlines worked out with Brett Hull, Gordie Howe's 2 sons ( Mark and Marty), and Peter Stastny's son - Paul was not that bad either. Just to name a few. Good chance of a hit here, but no guarantees.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Well yes, and we saw how bloodlines worked out with Brett Hull, Gordie Howe's 2 sons ( Mark and Marty), and Peter Stastny's son - Paul was not that bad either. Just to name a few. Good chance of a hit here, but no guarantees.

Mark yes, Marty no.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad