Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Nice title change. I'm going to be so happy when he gets his Gordie Howe hattrick.
I'm concerned about the "Glass Joe Hattrick"... a goal, an assist, and a funeral.

source.gif

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
IIRC, Ehlers was forged in the mean streets of Danish football, no doubt following the hard-man example of noted hooligans Jesper Gronkjaer, Stig Tofting and Thomas Gravesen.

Tiny he may be, but The Danish Chin turtles before no man...

1_PA-518996.jpg

what-was-nikolaj-ehlers-thinking-fighting-a-guy-like-ryan-getzlaf-this-is-almost-a-60-pound-difference-recap-postgame.jpg

Last edited:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
IIRC, Ehlers was forged in the mean streets of Danish football, no doubt following the hard-man example of noted hooligans Jesper Gronkjaer, Stig Tofting and Thomas Gravesen.

Tiny he may be, but The Danish Chin turtles to no man.

1_PA-518996.jpg

what-was-nikolaj-ehlers-thinking-fighting-a-guy-like-ryan-getzlaf-this-is-almost-a-60-pound-difference-recap-postgame.jpg

God I loved Gravesen :laugh:

him and Tøfting would have been great enforcers. Absolute madmen

Last edited:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Wasn't sure where to post these since I haven't seen an advanced stats thread in a while. But since slick Nik is leading the way (besides helle) I figured here could work. @garret9 posted these on twitter.

View attachment 296485 View attachment 296487

1st line should be E S L.

I'm tired of Connor taking the place of Ehlers, whether it be on the PP,1st line, 5v5,4v4 or 3v3. Ehlers has desersed it, Connor is there just by default.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

I'm tired of Connor taking the place of Ehlers, whether it be on the PP,1st line, 5v5,4v4 or 3v3. Ehlers has desersed it, Connor is there just by default.

I actually don't hate the current configuration at 5v5. When Frenchy is back I would like to see him take KC's spot and have KC with Lowry and Copp. I think that is the most balanced top 9 we could field and distributes the shooters better. As I've stated for years... I definitely think Paul needs to find more icetime for Nikky regardless of how and feel he has gotten the shortest end of the stick of any skill forwards thus far.

Reactions: hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

That’s a little harsh. Eels gets lots of minutes 4 on 4 and 3 on 3. Connor has been very good.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I actually don't hate the current configuration at 5v5. When Frenchy is back I would like to see him take KC's spot and have KC with Lowry and Copp. I think that is the most balanced top 9 we could field and distributes the shooters better. As I've stated for years... I definitely think Paul needs to find more icetime for Nikky regardless of how and feel he has gotten the shortest end of the stick of any skill forwards thus far.

Perreault-Scheifele-Laine worked in the past... I think Connor is "wasted" on the 1st line since it would be just as succesful with Perreault on it(or more IMO). Connor on the other hand could really spark the goal scoring on the 3rd. Slotting Ehlers on the 1st would take the line on another level, but would the 2nd line work without it's driver? Who cares, 1st would light it up :naughty:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think MP at this point in his career can provide enough to truly compliment Scheifele and Laine. Ehlers would be the best option on the 1st, but more balance is provided having Connor there over Ehlers. Maurice will always want a shut down line with Lowry as the center and this is not a good fit for Connor.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
That’s a little harsh. Eels gets lots of minutes 4 on 4 and 3 on 3. Connor has been very good.

I agree. Connor consistently puts up pts regardless of what everyone thinks about the rest of his game and I actually think he might have moved to the underrated category on this board.

Nikky usually isn't out before Connor in any situations as far as I'm aware though and averages 3 min less per game. So I also think it's fair to want to see Nik getting more looks in all the situations like stated above.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I agree. Connor consistently puts up pts regardless of what everyone thinks about the rest of his game and I actually think he might have moved to the underrated category on this board.

Nikky usually isn't out before Connor in any situations as far as I'm aware though and averages 3 min less per game. So I also think it's fair to want to see Nik getting more looks in all the situations like stated above.
I would love to see Connor pulled off the pk. I would be willing to see Ehlers on pk as an interesting experiment. He definitely deserves to be on the top powerplay unit and I am clearly in team Ehlers. Nevertheless, Connor is still a top 6 player and as long as Ehlers line is producing I'd hate to switch them.

Reactions: DashingDane

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Connor still gets more:

ES TOI other than 5v5
Connor 32:16
Ehlers 25:28

edit: I just realized that Connor put up 7 pts during that 32:16 and Ehlers only 1 with 25:28... youwerepropablyright this time.

Reactions: DashingDane

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't think MP at this point in his career can provide enough to truly compliment Scheifele and Laine. Ehlers would be the best option on the 1st, but more balance is provided having Connor there over Ehlers. Maurice will always want a shut down line with Lowry as the center and this is not a good fit for Connor.

Not sure I agree. All MP would need to do is forecheck hard, pass the puck and be responsible defensively. Basically what he is doing with Lowry and Copp imo. I think he still does that very well but I also have a soft spot for him.

I think Connor adds finish (which they really need) to the third line while being able to play their cycle game. I'd imagine Copp and Lowry's defensive games would compensate enough for Connor lack of it. I'd love to see it tried.

Reactions: NotCommitted

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Copp could warrant a look on the 1st IMO. Might lack too much on the offense, but it would be worth a shot, otherwise he would compliment Scheif & Laine well I think. Roslovic would be another option. Perrault worth a try as well.

I think it's probably wise to keep Ehlers on the 2nd since he can drive that and be the shooter there. Or Connor - Wheeler - Ehlers could be pretty ok as a 2nd line. E-S-L would totally deserve to happen, but that might be stacking the 1st too much. I think it should be given a look at some point though.

As for Connor, I don't think anyone can fault him much for offensive side of the game, but a lot of the times he plays in a way that if Ehlers or Laine would've done that, they would've found themselves on the 3rd or 4th line - and did at times. Given that he hasn't really shown more offensive talent than Ehlers, yet alone Laine, it's a bit odd that he gets a free pass. I guess Mau & Co really watch for something else than I do, as far as two-way game, being a complete player and all that goes.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Not sure I agree. All MP would need to do is forecheck hard, pass the puck and be responsible defensively. Basically what he is doing with Lowry and Copp imo. I think he still does that very well but I also have a soft spot for him.

Perrault used to be like the perfect complimentary player to Scheif & Laine, who knows, maybe he still could be. Perrault really made things happen in O-zone and with the finishing ability of Scheif and Laine, when things happen there, goals happen as well. Perrault is wasted on a line where there are no good finishers.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Perrault used to be like the perfect complimentary player to Scheif & Laine, who knows, maybe he still could be. Perrault really made things happen in O-zone and with the finishing ability of Scheif and Laine, when things happen there, goals happen as well. Perrault is wasted on a line where there are no good finishers.

Last years MP wouldn't work but I've been impressed with his play this year. Almost feels like the MP of past. I think Laine and Scheif need a strong forechecker that can pass. MP and Wheels are the two best guys on the team I think of with that criteria though Rosie has certainly showed that as well this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad