Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
One thing is clear tho, Jets have the 6th worst PP in the league and Ehlers has the most PP goals on the team despite having almost half the ice time of the other Top 6 guys. What does the coaching staff have to lose by putting Ehlers out there? Looking at these PP stats is just depressing considering the Jets have had one of the best PP's by the numbers in the last years, there's other things that need to start happening to turn it around like Laine putting the puck to the net like he's used to but having Ehlers out there would certainly help too.

The players on the current #1 PP should be able to fill the net without Ehlers - that's what I'd work on.
As you pointed out, Laine needs to score more and so do Scheif and Connor - they obviously have the talent - why are they all of a sudden unable to get it done on the PP when they have in the past? Figure it out - gets this group in sync, keeps moving them around, get Laine the puck more often, get someone in front of the net, use the down low body more often, stop being predictable.

Ehlers appears to like PP2 - I'd guess it's because he has a lot more freedom with the second crew than he will with the 1st bunch.
I'd leave him there and let him continue to do what he's doing - which is score. He's all over the place when he plays the PP and that seems to be how he likes to play - more opportunity for that kind of play on PP2 (IMO).

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
The players on the current #1 PP should be able to fill the net without Ehlers - that's what I'd work on.
As you pointed out, Laine needs to score more and so do Scheif and Connor - they obviously have the talent - why are they all of a sudden unable to get it done on the PP when they have in the past? Figure it out - gets this group in sync, keeps moving them around, get Laine the puck more often, get someone in front of the net, use the down low body more often, stop being predictable.

Ehlers appears to like PP2 - I'd guess it's because he has a lot more freedom with the second crew than he will with the 1st bunch.
I'd leave him there and let him continue to do what he's doing - which is score. He's all over the place when he plays the PP and that seems to be how he likes to play - more opportunity for that kind of play on PP2 (IMO).

I would say missing Buff plays a big part but Pionk and Morrissey are along with Laine the top point producers for the Jets PP. That's the only changed variable from past years. At first I thought their shot count was low but Connor and Scheif have 24 shots each, Laine has 22 then Wheeler has 14. Compare that to the best PP in the league in Oilers, McDavid 27 shots, Draisaitl 28 shots, Neal 25 shots and RNH with 20 shots. Not a big difference in volume but they put the puck to the net. Everyone except Ehlers (and Roslovics 12% with 8 shots) has less than 10 % shooting percentage which is atrocius on the PP. Shot quality just isn't there, Ehlers however has sweet mitts and the best zone entries so he could really help that PP out.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I would say missing Buff plays a big part but Pionk and Morrissey are along with Laine the top point producers for the Jets PP. That's the only changed variable from past years. At first I thought their shot count was low but Connor and Scheif have 24 shots each, Laine has 22 then Wheeler has 14. Compare that to the best PP in the league in Oilers, McDavid 27 shots, Draisaitl 28 shots, Neal 25 shots and RNH with 20 shots. Not a big difference in volume but they put the puck to the net. Everyone except Ehlers (and Roslovics 12% with 8 shots) has less than 10 % shooting percentage which is atrocius on the PP. Shot quality just isn't there, Ehlers however has sweet mitts and the best zone entries so he could really help that PP out.

You answered a question I was considering -
If they are getting that many shots, they are fine - there is no reason to think this bunch are going to continue shooting under 10%.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I think the pp this season worked the best when pp1 wasnt as top heavy, but since Wheeler found Laine that one time we will probably see this line-up till our eyes bleed.
I liked the more mobile look the pp units had for a while, instead of the stationary game when its scheif, Laine, Wheels and KC. Switch KC with a guy like Perrault and make the PP2 better with KC and give pp2 more looks

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Since I posted the "discussed" stat to begin with I'll explain :D I went to nhl.com to check out the points rankings, scrolled down to the Jets players and when I reached Ehlers I noticed something that looked different. Most players that had the same amount of pts as him had significantly more icetime. I then scrolled back up to see how many players above him played less than him. I found 3. Super simple :laugh: This wasn't a master plan to show he is better than X player. It was just a realization. Regardless of special teams he produces as players that play several minutes more than him each game. It made me wonder what he could do with Connor/Laine/Wheeler minutes.
I mean he only played around 8 min. less then Connor in each of the Games against Dallas:cool: Emagine having 2 1. lines LW in Connor and Ehlers and you view them so differently.. dont get me wrong i think Connor is a fantastic player and a 1. line winger like Ehlers.. but its not like he is Patrick Kane right.. then you can talk about Connor playing on PK but that should not make it 3,20 min more toi pr. game.
Any other coach would put Ehlers out more with the way he is performing.... even Copp have more toi then Ehlers :help::laugh: well difficult to criticize Maurice when we are winning, and i actually think he has done an amazing job with team defence this year and finally breaking up Wheeler and Scheifele:thumbu: but i still get the feeling that we will win the Stanley Cup when there is a coaching change in a couple of years with a slightly better defence:DD im just shaking my head sometimes... like what can Ehlers do to get more toi???? But hey we are winning so all is good:DD

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I mean he only played around 8 min. less then Connor in each of the Games against Dallas:cool: Emagine having 2 1. lines LW in Connor and Ehlers and you view them so differently.. dont get me wrong i think Connor is a fantastic player and a 1. line winger like Ehlers.. but its not like he is Patrick Kane right.. then you can talk about Connor playing on PK but that should not make it 3,20 min more toi pr. game.
Any other coach would put Ehlers out more with the way he is performing.... even Copp have more toi then Ehlers :help::laugh: well difficult to criticize Maurice when we are winning, and i actually think he has done an amazing job with team defence this year and finally breaking up Wheeler and Scheifele:thumbu: but i still get the feeling that we will win the Stanley Cup when there is a coaching change in a couple of years with a slightly better defence:DD im just shaking my head sometimes... like what can Ehlers do to get more toi???? But hey we are winning so all is good:DD

In the loss against Dallas, KC played 8.68 mins more than Ehlers only 1.31 of that was SH.

That makes 7.37 mins more than Ehlers in one game alone.

In the win, KC played 8.16 more than Ehlers, only 46 seconds of those were SH.
Both served a 2 min.

It’s pretty apparent Mo just favours one over the other - the disparity is insane.

Why is a player like KC even on the pk? Id like to see Ehlers with his speed on the pk, ala Grabners pk function.

KC is imo a very lucky player, Mo loves the kid.

Not very good defensively, yet plays the pk, not all that effecient on the PP, yet stays on the 1st unit.
Had a slow start to the year without 1st line minutes or linemates, yet gets promoted year after year and stays there, even tho Ehlers did quite fine there before.

It wouldn’t bother me as much, if the toi distribution wasn’t so skewed in favour of the top line and pp1, as I think Ehlers can do well on any line.

But the last few games, he has played least of all top 9 fwds.. It boggles me...

Last edited:
Reactions: FFHockey and hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
In the loss against Dallas, KC played 8.68 mins more than Ehlers only 1.31 of that was SH.

Both served a 2 min.

It’s pretty apparent Mo just favours one over the other - the disparity is insane.

Why is a player like KC even on the pk? Id like to see Ehlers with his speed on the pk, ala Grabners pk function.

Not very good defensively, yet plays the pk, not all that effecient on the PP, yet stays on the 1st unit.
Had a slow start to the year without 1st line minutes or linemates, yet gets promoted year after year and stays there, even tho Ehlers did quite fine there before.

It wouldn’t bother me as much, if the toi distribution wasn’t so skewed in favour of the top line and pp1, as I think Ehlers can do well on any line.

But the last few games, he has played least of all top 9 fwds.. It boggles me...
I think most of us on here are in agreement and you’re just preaching to the choir Ehlers is our best forward right now. Laine will probably be in time, and deserves a lot more playing time.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Both served a 2 min.

I mean, it's not like Connor isn't fast. Remember the breakaway goal on the Canucks?

Connor is also really good on the PK. AFAIK, there isn't really anything indicating that you have to be good 5v5 to be a good PKer. Statistically, I'd put him top 3 among our forwards in terms of stopping goals, and he does add a threat offensively, as you correctly point out that Ehlers would.

There are valid reasons for wanting Ehlers to get more ice time than Connor. Wanting Connor off the PK is not one of them.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Both served a 2 min.

It's pretty apparent Mo is trying to get the lines set to best support the strength of each player - he's trying to get 2 top lines humming.

Ehlers and KC have very different games - and they will play better with certain players.

Ehlers likes to roam so him with Roz makes a lot of sense - Roz is usually the guy who working the boards with Wheels using his quick reversals - Ehlers has become the shooter with these 2. Wheels as the center also helps keep this pair grounded to an extent which provides a little more structure to the line

KC is a player that is very good with his stick and very slippery when playing down low - which happens to be where Scheif also likes to play - you need 2 to play that type of game with someone high to shoot - that's where Laine comes in (although they haven't got all the knots out of that system yet).
He's on the PK because of his quickness and stick - you need both when you are trying to plug lanes when up against a team that can throw the puck around well on the PP.

Sometimes there is more to player placement than how many goals they have, TOI or how they are playing (in this case, very well).
And sometimes you simply need to leave things alone when they are working and assume coaching knows what the are doing.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
The biggest reason for Ehlers lower toi 5on5 is that Maurice is a matchup coach and I think he wants to shelter Wheeler a bit. Scheifele line constantly gets matched against the best players and they naturally play the most. Personally I think EWR could handle tougher opposition.

Reactions: hn777

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't know why posters are so obsessed with who gets more "ice time" --like Connor or Ehlers.It doesn't really matter, unless your pulling for your "favourite player" as opposed to the team.

Since Wheeler has moved down to center, we're a very good team, and Ehlers also matches up with Roslovic very well.

I'm an Ehler's fan and he's doing fine where he is, and getting decent ice time. If the lines start to fail, I'm sure Maurice will make changes.

Why rock the boat ? and sweat the small stuff --as the lines are working fine right now, and they've been better than last years lineups.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I mean, it's not like Connor isn't fast. Remember the breakaway goal on the Canucks?

Connor is also really good on the PK. AFAIK, there isn't really anything indicating that you have to be good 5v5 to be a good PKer. Statistically, I'd put him top 3 among our forwards in terms of stopping goals, and he does add a threat offensively, as you correctly point out that Ehlers would.

There are valid reasons for wanting Ehlers to get more ice time than Connor. Wanting Connor off the PK is not one of them.
Don't get me wrong, taking Connor of the PK, is probably the most farfetched, id just like to see Ehlers speed on that PK.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don't know why posters are so obsessed with who gets more "ice time" --like Connor or Ehlers.It doesn't really matter, unless your pulling for your "favourite player" as opposed to the team.

Since Wheeler has moved down to center, we're a very good team, and Ehlers also matches up with Roslovic very well.

I'm an Ehler's fan and he's doing fine where he is, and getting decent ice time. If the lines start to fail, I'm sure Maurice will make changes.

Why rock the boat ? and sweat the small stuff --as the lines are working fine right now, and they've been better than last years lineups.

There is no obsession, and like I wrote earlier, the team is doing well, so who am I to complain.
The disparity in toi is just growing, and I personally just do no understand why Ehlers thru every season so far, get's the short end of the stick every single time.

I don't care how the lines are, as long as they work, and I don't really care that Ehlers is on the 2nd, what I find weird is him getting so little toi and it has been dropping for a few games now - So imo, his toi isn't decent. Like I wrote, 3 games now where he was lowest among the top 9 fwds.

You better believe I am pulling for the team, but I do wonder still why Ehlers always seems to be the first to get shuffled, never gets a good long look at PP1 which isn't really that effective(26 out of 31), never got to try out the PK, and why he always gets' "demoted" from the 1st line when he is doing well (And the line has been working when he was one it, ESW and ESL) - If that makes me a person that isn't pulling for the team, I don't know what to say.

Btw, if the lines do fail, I still do not believe Ehlers will benefit from that, it has been the same Every season so far.

It's pretty apparent Mo is trying to get the lines set to best support the strength of each player - he's trying to get 2 top lines humming.

Ehlers and KC have very different games - and they will play better with certain players.

Ehlers likes to roam so him with Roz makes a lot of sense - Roz is usually the guy who working the boards with Wheels using his quick reversals - Ehlers has become the shooter with these 2. Wheels as the center also helps keep this pair grounded to an extent which provides a little more structure to the line

KC is a player that is very good with his stick and very slippery when playing down low - which happens to be where Scheif also likes to play - you need 2 to play that type of game with someone high to shoot - that's where Laine comes in (although they haven't got all the knots out of that system yet).
He's on the PK because of his quickness and stick - you need both when you are trying to plug lanes when up against a team that can throw the puck around well on the PP.

Sometimes there is more to player placement than how many goals they have, TOI or how they are playing (in this case, very well).
And sometimes you simply need to leave things alone when they are working and assume coaching knows what the are doing.

I do partially agree with the first statement of yours, but imo, that does not discount that Mo can favour a player over the other - This is not just a thing from this season, it also happened last season with Ehlers and KC after Ehlers was off to a hot start.

Like I mentioned above, I have no problem with the lines, this is purely about TOI, and Ehlers TOI is going down, and he seems to get "punished" more than other players in TOI for some reason.

I tend to think that Ehlers has looked very good in his stints with both ESW and ESL, yet has still been demoted every time.
This is just me being curious and a bit boggled at why KC always seems to get the better looks compared to Ehlers.

With regards to the PK, we are 27 out of 31 teams, I think, so imo it wouldn't hurt to try something else.

Hope this all makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and Hulide

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There is no obsession, and like I wrote earlier, the team is doing well, so who am I to complain.
The disparity in toi is just growing, and I personally just do no understand why Ehlers thru every season so far, get's the short end of the stick every single time.

I don't care how the lines are, as long as they work, and I don't really care that Ehlers is on the 2nd, what I find weird is him getting so little toi and it has been dropping for a few games now - So imo, his toi isn't decent. Like I wrote, 3 games now where he was lowest among the top 9 fwds.

You better believe I am pulling for the team, but I do wonder still why Ehlers always seems to be the first to get shuffled, never gets a good long look at PP1 which isn't really that effective(26 out of 31), never got to try out the PK, and why he always gets' "demoted" from the 1st line when he is doing well (And the line has been working when he was one it, ESW and ESL) - If that makes me a person that isn't pulling for the team, I don't know what to say.

Btw, if the lines do fail, I still do not believe Ehlers will benefit from that, it has been the same Every season so far.

I do partially agree with the first statement of yours, but imo, that does not discount that Mo can favour a player over the other - This is not just a thing from this season, it also happened last season with Ehlers and KC after Ehlers was off to a hot start.

Like I mentioned above, I have no problem with the lines, this is purely about TOI, and Ehlers TOI is going down, and he seems to get "punished" more than other players in TOI for some reason.

I tend to think that Ehlers has looked very good in his stints with both ESW and ESL, yet has still been demoted every time.
This is just me being curious and a bit boggled at why KC always seems to get the better looks compared to Ehlers.

With regards to the PK, we are 27 out of 31 teams, I think, so imo it wouldn't hurt to try something else.

Hope this all makes sense.

Ray Ferraro mentioned that the PK was so bad to start the year (before Sbisa and Beaulieu joined the lineup), that the Jets will linger in the bottom as a result. Said you had to draw the line in the sand. And since that line was drawn there has been positive numbers. At one point we were 8th best over a stretch, which is pretty good I think, the recipe to success.

I don't think Ehlers is suited for the PK, as you don't really want him blocking shots, and he still tends to go diagonally, instead of north/south. I would suspect that Wheeler probably chose Connor as his running mate. I'll tell you I would rather see Connor than Scheif on the PK, Scheif just doesn't seem to be in the right lanes often, and he definitely is not looking to block shots, which is advantage shooter. To spread out the ice time I would suspect the 4th line with Shore and whoever rides shotgun gets some more reps.

I could see an argument putting Ehlers on the 1st PP over Connor, but not on the PK.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Well when we're winning it's all good, but it's just weird how KC get so much more time than Ehlers when they are similar calibre of players. Don't get me wrong, KC is an awesome player but I think Ehlers could probably be even better with the same opportunities and I'd like to see Maurice at least give it a try. Moreover, I recall back to the year when we had an extended spell of Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine as a line, which was probably the most exciting line we've had yet IMO. Laine obviously plays well with Scheif and Ehlers adds a nice dynamism there (although Connor's currently playing well in that spot). That was also back when Laine was scoring many goals.
In summary, Connor is awesome as well but the disparity in ice time is what annoys me.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Love Ehlers , he's a very good player and so is Connor . They both have their strengths and weakness's and i don't care who is on what line when we are winning . When we start losing games then change up the lines , right now leave well enough alone . Ehlers is getting less ice time because he's our tough guy now without Buff playing . :naughty:

Reactions: larmex99

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know will I be bannished from you, but ... that was kinda nice fight. I don't know the history of Winnipeg and the Ducks (I mean, only from the standpoint of Selänne). This wasn't dirty. Ehlers willing to fight. He's been like a man. Upping his material. Way more attack and now not backing off from Getzlaf.

But when it comes to fights and dirty people on the ice, Getzlaf really showed some class. When he had the opportunity to... really do damage at the end to Ehlers, he hold back. In that position, that could have been much worse if it wasn't like that. Like the commentary said.

Love that Ehlers is ...blossoming? Should that word be used in hockey? Either way. My view of the point stands. Respect each other. It's a hockey game, not some kind of battle to the death.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Getz could have hospitalized Ehlers. Thank goodness he decided to just rag doll him at the end instead of rearranging his face. Good on him.

He is a gamer, but someone needs to add an intelligence clause into Ehlers contract. If you want to drop the gloves, stay relatively close to your weight class. We need him on the ice not on LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad