Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Do you have have link to penalties drawn league wide?

Penalties drawn/taken ranked by drawn:

WPG:
Penalties takenPenalties drawn+/-
Ehlers619+13
Copp315+12
Wheeler89+1
Scheifele990
Laine58+3
Perreault26+4
Roslovic46+2
Pionk660
Beaulieu76-1
Lowry 5 5 0
Morrisey 6 4 -2
Connor 8 4 -4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

League wide:

penalties takenpenalties drawn+/-
B.Tkachuk1422+6
Eichel821+13
Pettersson421+17
Lemieux1921+2
Larkin720+13
Pastrnak1319+6
Ehlers619+13
Cirelli719+12
Marchand1618+2
Dubois1318+5
McDavid1017+7
McAvoy917+8
Wood1417+3
Hathaway1317+4
MacKinnon316+13
Barzal916+7
M.Tkachuk1116+5
Kadri1916-3
Goodrow1316+3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
naturalstattrick.com has them.
E: The site has though been really slow lately.

Interesting to look at. Lemieux only a +2....but lots of numbers in both columns.

Elias Pettersson the run away leader at +17

Radulov, Jeff Carter and Nick Ritchie all looking bad at -11.

Ehlers at +14 and Copp at +12 were the Jets best. Conner the worst at only -3.

I typically remove the Majors and Misconducts out of such reviews....that is what these numbers are based upon.

Reactions: hn777

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Interesting to look at. Lemieux only a +2....but lots of numbers in both columns.

Elias Pettersson the run away leader at +17

Radulov, Jeff Carter and Nick Ritchie all looking bad at -11.

Ehlers at +14 and Copp at +12 were the Jets best. Conner the worst at only -3.

I typically remove the Majors and Misconducts out of such reviews....that is what these numbers are based upon.

If you remove majors from taken, you need to remove majors from the drawn too... Ehlers stays at +13

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The under/misuse of Ehlers alone should get Paul fired. If they aren't going to actually utilize him they should really trade him for a defensemen. Currently they are wasting True North's money and Ehlers career. This is clearly an over reaction but I'm now convinced Paul has something against him. Regardless of how much he improves he will never have a prominent role under Paul and always be his scapegoat.

IMG-2498.jpg

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The under/misuse of Ehlers alone should get Paul fired. If they aren't going to actually utilize him they should really trade him for a defensemen. Currently they are wasting True North's money and Ehlers career. This is clearly an over reaction but I'm now convinced Paul has something against him. Regardless of how much he improves he will never have a prominent role under Paul and always be his scapegoat.

View attachment 298897

Agreed, I generally don't mind Maurice but if he's never going to play Ehlers, we could maybe use a change

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
You could argue that Maurice is using Ehlers perfectly and that is a huge reason he has such a high xGF/60.

Of all forwards playing yesterday there were only 4 that average more TOI/game Than Ehlers and all of them play PP1 time(let’s not forget Ehlers said he’d rather play on PP2 in the postilion he wants instead of adapting to PP1)

Edit:I’ll also add all 4 have a higher P/GP also 3 out of the 4 have more even strength points on the season.

however Ehlers does have the highest P/60 out of all of them. Actually the only forward with a higher P/60 is old washed up not good enough to be a 2C Bryan little.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The difference in ice time between Connor and Ehlers is almost entirely due to special teams. Ehlers plays about 30 seconds less per game at 5v5 than Connor, and actually plays more than Wheeler at 5v5.

Connor is on the PK and #1 PP. That accounts for most of the difference in ice time.

Still, I think Connor gets more ice than he should, in comparison to Ehlers. Connor is good offensively, but Ehlers is way better defensively.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
c4ryv.jpg

Is this latest round of complaining because of something that happened in the game yesterday? Did Ehlers get benched again?

It happens most games, but last game for example he got zero seconds of PP time and I believe zero seconds of overtime time as well. Even when they pulled the goalie, I think Lowry started (to take the faceoff) before finally switching with Ehlers.

Also, the appropriate image to use is:
URfxIGP.png

:P

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
You could argue that Maurice is using Ehlers perfectly and that is a huge reason he has such a high xGF/60.

Of all forwards playing yesterday there were only 4 that average more TOI/game Than Ehlers and all of them play PP1 time(let’s not forget Ehlers said he’d rather play on PP2 in the postilion he wants instead of adapting to PP1)

Edit:I’ll also add all 4 have a higher P/GP also 3 out of the 4 have more even strength points on the season.

however Ehlers does have the highest P/60 out of all of them. Actually the only forward with a higher P/60 is old washed up not good enough to be a 2C Bryan little.

It's definitely possible that Paul is utilizing him perfectly right now but we won't know until he gives him more opportunity.
I think P/60 makes most sense to judge by considering the difference in opportunity.

I've seen the bolded posted a couple of times. Per Paul Maurices interview below he was asked to play in the slot (Where MP ended up playing) out of "respect" for being the top scorer. I don't know about you but Ehlers is probably one of the last players I'd want to play in the slot. The fact that Paul thought it was a good idea only makes me question his coaching more.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
If Ehlers was to go to the first unit he would have to be put in Wheelers spot and for better or worse that ain’t happening. I’m fine with Wheeler being there as long as he and the unit are moving the puck quickly. When they don’t they get in trouble. Right now we’re running thin on a full 2nd unit as well. Maybe mix and match a bit to get Ehlers out there.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
If Ehlers was to go to the first unit he would have to be put in Wheelers spot and for better or worse that ain’t happening. I’m fine with Wheeler being there as long as he and the unit are moving the puck quickly. When they don’t they get in trouble. Right now we’re running thin on a full 2nd unit as well. Maybe mix and match a bit to get Ehlers out there.

I actually really enjoyed him down low with Scheifele and Connor as triggermen when Paul ran that for some games. He get's from side to side so quickly that it made that whole pp's movement a lot more unpredictable. I also wouldn't mind running all forwards and putting him on the point but know that will never happen :laugh:

I can live with him not being on pp1 but think he has to be one of the first over the boards at 4v4 and 3v3 as it's his bread and butter.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
For me the issue is the disparity between pp1 and pp2. If pp1 is slow and turning the puck over, start pp2. Make it a competition.

This. There is no shame in being on PP2. But PP1 should have a leash esp when it doesn't look as godly as it did in the years past. If the issue is wanting to have their best goalscorers in Scheifele and Laine out for as much of the PP as possible then have them stay the full 2 mins in certain situations and play with PP2 if they have the stamina to pull that off.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

View attachment 298897

I see the Great Dane is still fighting hard for his fellow countryman and trying to get him traded. Although he may have a small point to make, Ehlers is having a good year, and will likely score around 35-38 goals, and will probably have his best season ever. I think he has been groomed properly by the Jets. The best is yet to come from him, as he's still evolving, and maturing. The only reason why Laine is getting more ice time, is because he's now playing on the Scheifele line, and if he wasn't, his ice time would be the same as Ehlers. One key injury can change all this.

I'd say your point is only valid when it comes to 4-4 or 3-3 Hockey, and that's where Ehlers is being misused at the moment -- but things change. You have to be a little patient.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
In a month or so, we’ll have Little back and expect at that point, Ehlers will get a regular shift in OT. I agree though... he definitely needs more TOI in 3v3 and 4v4.

Reactions: GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
In a month or so, we’ll have Little back and expect at that point, Ehlers will get a regular shift in OT. I agree though... he definitely needs more TOI in 3v3 and 4v4.
I'd start running 3 forwards in 3v3. We have the talent to do it

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Selfish Euro. Cut his ice-time already. That boy Connor needs to play.]

If only there was another top line winger position other than Connor’s where Ehlers could take a few shifts to get more ice time. If only.

Great stuff, Nik! Even when he's off he's on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad