Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Really? I love Ehlers, but I still think it's Laine.
And you’d be wrong. Ehlers drives a line in a way Laine can’t. Laine is playing with 2 superstars and both lines are about equal. Laine is also much more careless with the puck. And before anyone says he’s 21 that doesn’t change who is currently better at this minute.
Also at this point Ehlers has more goals and it would be hard to make an argument that they are not harder to come by than assists.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
And you’d be wrong. Ehlers drives a line in a way Laine can’t. Laine is playing with 2 superstars and both lines are about equal. Laine is also much more careless with the puck. And before anyone says he’s 21 that doesn’t change who is currently better at this minute.
Also at this point Ehlers has more goals and it would be hard to make an argument that they are not harder to come by than assists.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great post and well said --and I second that exactly. Really, I don't even think it's close right now.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great post and well said --and I second that exactly. Really, I don't even think it's close right now.
Funny thing is I liked Connor better last year and was wrong.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Also, Ehlers plays way way less than Laine, and is not really on the PP1.

Even with 2 games more than Laine, he has still played 30mins less - And the disparity in toi is growing, as Ehlers toi is shrinking, and Laines is rising.

I love our team atm, but can't help feel a little sorry Nik.

But, who am I to complain, I was fully expecting a trainwreck of a season, and here we are, pleasantly suprised.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Same every season but last.

In the two before, he was top 5 in pts within his toi.

Very efficient player he is.

What does that even mean?

Ehlers pts/60:

15-1616-1717-1818-1919-20
all strengths143th40th52nd115th48th
5on5164th22nd53rd122nd19th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
What does that even mean?

Ehlers pts/60:

15-1616-1717-1818-1919-20
all strengths143th40th52nd115th48th
5on5164th22nd53rd122nd19th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It means what I wrote - that f.eks. with players having played a max of 18mins avg. He was top 5 in pts.

In his 16-17 season, he was #5 in pts, for players having played an avg. of 18 minutes or less.

Laine also does very well on that front - he was #4 that year - But I believe he played pp1.

pts60 is imo, a horribly skewed stat. I never use it.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Ehlers’ chin reminds me of this dude :)

upload_2019-12-6_17-38-30.jpeg

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Ehlers and Laine are apples and oranges imo. I love them both and I'm so happy that they are both on the Jets.

They've both made huge improvements to their games this year, the only difference being that Ehlers is probably closer to being fully developed than Laine. Ehlers will still improve I'm sure, but the big jumps in improving his ability are probably behind him now.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Disagree -- he's scored plenty of goals this way. Just a few examples:

Ehlers drills home a one-timer

There are more. It's definitely a skill he has demonstrated. Nik may not be quite the sniper that Laine is, but he's lethal in and around the circle and as a lefty sees more of the net and slot than a righty would. Main problem is receiving and making passes to the near slot.

He may well prefer the strong side and have other reasons for wanting to stick with PP2, but he's definitely a threat from either side (being ambidextrous helps).

Gotta See It: Ehlers' crazy ambidextrous dekes - Sportsnet.ca

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
It means what I wrote - that f.eks. with players having played a max of 18mins avg. He was top 5 in pts.

In his 16-17 season, he was #5 in pts, for players having played an avg. of 18 minutes or less.

Laine also does very well on that front - he was #4 that year - But I believe he played pp1.

pts60 is imo, a horribly skewed stat. I never use it.

So you think drawing an arbitrary line at 18 minutes which leaves out a player with 17:30 ES+PP, but has 31s SH time is better than /60 when talking about efficiency... A player that scores 100pts, but plays 18:50. How is /60 skewed?

Reactions: Halberdier

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
By objective measures, Ehlers and Scheifele have been the Jets two best and most productive top 6 offensive forwards at 5v5 not only this year, but for a couple of years actually. They are the line drivers.

I can see two (rational) reasons for Ehlers getting less TOI than *Scheifele's wingers*:

1) Being the line drivers, Maurice wants Ehlers and Scheifele on separate lines (like Kane and Toews have been mostly separated AFAIK).

2) This is my own theory:)
I am sometimes wondering about Ehlers endurance.
I have seen (visual) signs, that he seems quite gassed in the end of a single shift, a game, and maybe a season (I haven't checked stats to see, if it is backed up).
Being an extremely explosive athlete, it could make sense, he may not be the most enduring player?
So, maybe Maurice is seeing/knowing something we don't, and is careful not to overplay Ehlers, because based on impact on the game, him and Scheifele should certainly play the most at 5v5.

I would go with theory #1.

Reactions: hn777

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So you think drawing an arbitrary line at 18 minutes which leaves out a player with 17:30 ES+PP, but has 31s SH time is better than /60 when talking about efficiency... A player that scores 100pts, but plays 18:50. How is /60 skewed?
I think that seing who else plays the same amount of minutes, and being meazured against them is a good measure of how you use your toi compared others in the same range - and no, it doesnt mean taking out players with 17:30 mins, it’s 18 mins flat, and less.

for me to explain why I do not like p60 would take a whole novel, and I don’t about you, but I wasn’t exactly looking for a discussion on this matter ;)

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I think that seing who else plays the same amount of minutes, and being meazured against them is a good measure of how you use your toi compared others in the same range - and no, it doesnt mean taking out players with 17:30 mins, it’s 18 mins flat, and less.

for me to explain why I do not like p60 would take a whole novel, and I don’t about you, but I wasn’t exactly looking for a discussion on this matter ;)

Just PM me the details if you don't want to do it in public... Your arbitrary "model" most certainly takes away players who play SH. Not to mention players who play 18:01 ATOI.

All strengths pts/60 is bullshit, I'll give you that. I just included it for your pleasure.

Reactions: Halberdier

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Special teams. Use P/60 at even strength.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Which accounts would 'all accounts' be?

Roslovic wants respect of a veteran … Ehlers declines job on first power-play unit … Lowry says he won’t change

"THANKS, BUT NO THANKS
Another interesting note coming out of the San Jose post-game yak sessions was the revelation from Maurice that Ehlers turned down a spot on the No. 1 power-play unit.
“Nikolaj didn’t want to be there,” Maurice said. “That’s not a negative thing. He would prefer to run downhill on his natural side on the other unit.”
A day earlier, Maurice had said Ehlers would take a front-line spot on the No. 1 unit as a reward. He’s the team’s leading scorer, after all.
“And then the power-play guys talked and Nikky came back and said, ‘I prefer to be on the other unit on my natural side.’ It happens,” Maurice said. “Everybody by the time they get to the NHL is usually fairly specific about what they’re good at on the power play.
“Not a lot of guys want to work the slot, anyway. That’s the dark hole there.”"

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad