Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around his ATOI. It's definitely up this season thus far but still really behind Connor/Laine. Connor averaging more than 3 min a game feels like a lot if it's just the product of special teams. I'll continue to bang the "he is under utilized/Paul is holding him back" drum.
If it’s pk time it makes sense. Ehlers should be on 1 pp. wheeler should either be front guy as he’s bigger than Connor or 2nd pp.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around his ATOI. It's definitely up this season thus far but still really behind Connor/Laine. Connor averaging more than 3 min a game feels like a lot if it's just the product of special teams. I'll continue to bang the "he is under utilized/Paul is holding him back" drum.
Connor gets 1.5 minutes of extra powerplay time each game by virtue of being on the first unit, and a full minute of PK time per game (Ehlers doesn't kill penalties).

Even strength they're pretty close (Connor gets about 30 seconds more per night). 15:37 to 15:04.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers is a different player this year in my opinion. He's playing with something he hasn't had before, and that's "confidence", and it's showing on the scoresheet. He's shooting a lot more, instead of skating around, and passing it off quickly, or trying to break thru the defense.

I think he has a very good shot at scoring 40 goals this year, and at a minimum of 35. This will be his best year so far as a Jet, and he's improving every year with maturity. Who knows what his ceiling will be at his prime when he's 26 or 27 years old ? Be fun to watch.

It's really good to see this happen to a really good guy and a team player, who also really likes being a Jet.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers is a different player this year in my opinion. He's playing with something he hasn't had before, and that's "confidence", and it's showing on the scoresheet. He's shooting a lot more, instead of skating around, and passing it off quickly, or trying to break thru the defense.

I think he has a very good shot at scoring 40 goals this year, and at a minimum of 35. This will be his best year so far as a Jet, and he's improving every year with maturity. Who knows what his ceiling will be at his prime when he's 26 or 27 years old ? Be fun to watch.

It's really good to see this happen to a really good guy and a team player, who also really likes being a Jet.

personally I think he has found more consistency this season but I actually don’t think there is that big a difference from 2nd half of last season outside of puck luck.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
About last game and his 12mins, I know he got a 2 min, but so did Laine, and still played 20 odd minutes.

There was not a lot of PK last game and KC still got the odd 20 mins.

I like the lines, but I do wonder why Eehls never gets consistent line 1 minutes or pp1. Guy has imo been the best winger on the team this year, yes even better than Laine.

Whodey204

Oct 2, 2017
It's crazy that Ehlers gets so much less ice time than Connor. I dont think Maurice has ever been a fan of his game and his ice time has always reflected that.

If Maurice didn't coddle the veterans, Ehlers would be replacing Wheeler in that same spot on PP1 almost instantly. Would be nice to have his shot on that side, and having him and Laine both open for one timers.

Knowing Maurice, he will blind luck stumble into trying this eventually, but only in the event of a Wheeler injury!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
^^ Well by all accounts Ehlers was offered time on the top PP unit this season but declined it to continue his role in the 2nd unit.

Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If Maurice didn't coddle the veterans, Ehlers would be replacing Wheeler in that same spot on PP1 almost instantly. Would be nice to have his shot on that side, and having him and Laine both open for one timers.

Why do people assume that a player can just blast one timers from his off wing? That is not a common skill and not one I might add that Ehlers has demonstrated. Even on the 2nd unit he plays on his strong side and seems to like that role. My guess is that he prefers having the puck on his stick and generating that way as opposed to being on his weak side for one timers where he'd have less of an opportunity to do that.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Why do people assume that a player can just blast one timers from his off wing? That is not a common skill and not one I might add that Ehlers has demonstrated. Even on the 2nd unit he plays on his strong side and seems to like that role. My guess is that he prefers having the puck on his stick and generating that way as opposed to being on his weak side for one timers where he'd have less of an opportunity to do that.

Disagree -- he's scored plenty of goals this way. Just a few examples:

Ehlers drills home a one-timer

There are more. It's definitely a skill he has demonstrated. Nik may not be quite the sniper that Laine is, but he's lethal in and around the circle and as a lefty sees more of the net and slot than a righty would. Main problem is receiving and making passes to the near slot.

He may well prefer the strong side and have other reasons for wanting to stick with PP2, but he's definitely a threat from either side (being ambidextrous helps).

Gotta See It: Ehlers' crazy ambidextrous dekes - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Really? Ehlers is well known for an excellent one timer, and even from far out. If it wasn't for Laine, Ehlers would be the go-to guy and shooter on the Jets (Maurice willing). Connor OTOH doesn't have a great one timer from further out, but he is lethal from in close, because of his quick hands.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
By objective measures, Ehlers and Scheifele have been the Jets two best and most productive top 6 offensive forwards at 5v5 not only this year, but for a couple of years actually. They are the line drivers.

I can see two (rational) reasons for Ehlers getting less TOI than *Scheifele's wingers*:

1) Being the line drivers, Maurice wants Ehlers and Scheifele on separate lines (like Kane and Toews have been mostly separated AFAIK).

2) This is my own theory:)
I am sometimes wondering about Ehlers endurance.
I have seen (visual) signs, that he seems quite gassed in the end of a single shift, a game, and maybe a season (I haven't checked stats to see, if it is backed up).
Being an extremely explosive athlete, it could make sense, he may not be the most enduring player?
So, maybe Maurice is seeing/knowing something we don't, and is careful not to overplay Ehlers, because based on impact on the game, him and Scheifele should certainly play the most at 5v5.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
By objective measures, Ehlers and Scheifele have been the Jets two best and most productive top 6 offensive forwards at 5v5 not only this year, but for a couple of years actually. They are the line drivers.

I can see two (rational) reasons for Ehlers getting less TOI than *Scheifele's wingers*:

1) Being the line drivers, Maurice wants Ehlers and Scheifele on separate lines (like Kane and Toews have been mostly separated AFAIK).

2) This is my own theory:)
I am sometimes wondering about Ehlers endurance.
I have seen (visual) signs, that he seems quite gassed in the end of a single shift, a game, and maybe a season (I haven't checked stats to see, if it is backed up).
Being an extremely explosive athlete, it could make sense, he may not be the most enduring player?
So, maybe Maurice is seeing/knowing something we don't, and is careful not to overplay Ehlers, because based on impact on the game, him and Scheifele should certainly play the most at 5v5.
i agree with pairing him with Wheeler off the jump as Wheeler got acclimated to C. Pair your best 5v5 winger with a guy has only played <20 games at C over the last 10 years. But now that (IMO) Wheeler's individual game at C is starting to come around, i'd welcome a KC and Ehlers switch

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Ehlers is maturing. as I've said for the last few years If his mind catches up with his feet he's gonna be incredible. He's just hitting his prime now. He has all the gifts to be a star he just needed to grow up a little(and I say that knowing full well just how good a player he has already been).

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers usage numbers at even strength are fine. I'd like to see him get more PP1 time, just because he's a master of gaining the zone.

Although since Ehlers is also a master of drawing penalties, it stands to chance that his line was just out right before the powerplay began. That's probably too 3-D Chess to be a real argument for keeping him on PP2 though.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers usage numbers at even strength are fine. I'd like to see him get more PP1 time, just because he's a master of gaining the zone.

Although since Ehlers is also a master of drawing penalties, it stands to chance that his line was just out right before the powerplay began. That's probably too 3-D Chess to be a real argument for keeping him on PP2 though.
if he draws more penalties than all of our Fwds (which he does), i think we can afford to have him out there a bit more at 5v5. He's our best/most efficient 5v5 forward in almost every stat.

I do think he should be on PP1. If we were to switch to Ehlers, i really don't think there's a huge fall off, if any, in the things KC does on the PP (assumption obviously is that we switch Ehlers and KC)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think we need a mash-up of all the Ehlers goal cellies where he gets to hug everyone taller than him with that chin poking into their neck-guards while grinning like crazy. There is no player in the league more obviously happy to see a goal scored. It's Christmas morning several times a game for our Saint Nik.

Actually wouldn't be surprised to see him skate over and high-five the opposition, so long as it isn't Jamie Benn.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I thought he looked great down low in the previous pp setup. His mobility and agility really allowed him to go east/west quickly and set up either side. Wouldn't mind seeing him there instead of KC and would be awesome to have three options for setting up the Laine clapper.

In terms of turning down pp1 time, if I remember correctly (which I might not) Paul wanted him in the slot where he ended up putting Frenchy and I'd agree that would be a complete waste with his frame and strength.

I think ATOI all comes down to Paul just not being a big fan of his style of play. He is pretty much never out at any crucial parts of the game though he is arguably better at defending than most of our top 6 forwards and as good offensively.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
if he draws more penalties than all of our Fwds (which he does), i think we can afford to have him out there a bit more at 5v5. He's our best/most efficient 5v5 forward in almost every stat.

I do think he should be on PP1. If we were to switch to Ehlers, i really don't think there's a huge fall off, if any, in the things KC does on the PP (assumption obviously is that we switch Ehlers and KC)

Penalties drawn/penalties taken +/-

Ehlers +11
Copp +10
Laine +5
Perreault +3
Gustafsson +3
Wheeler +2
Lowry +1
Roslovic +1
Scheifele +1
Bourque +1
Appleton +/- 0
Luoto -1
Connor -3

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I thought he looked great down low in the previous pp setup. His mobility and agility really allowed him to go east/west quickly and set up either side. Wouldn't mind seeing him there instead of KC and would be awesome to have three options for setting up the Laine clapper.

In terms of turning down pp1 time, if I remember correctly (which I might not) Paul wanted him in the slot where he ended up putting Frenchy and I'd agree that would be a complete waste with his frame and strength.

I think ATOI all comes down to Paul just not being a big fan of his style of play. He is pretty much never out at any crucial parts of the game though he is arguably better at defending than most of our top 6 forwards and as good offensively.
You’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t think Ehlers is our best forward this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad