Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I would not mind trading Zadorov and a pick to Calgary for Tanev and then Calgary can flip Zadorov to either Dallas or Toronto for some picks, might make sense especially once Soucy comes back and then we can have

Hughes-Tanev
Soucy-Hronek
Cole-Myers
Juulsen.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I just dont see the Canucks moving Zadorov. Tocchet has gone on and on about how much he likes the big and mobile Vegas defence.

Hughes- Hronek
Soucy - Cole
Zadorov - Myers
Juulsen

Is a pretty big and punishing back end. It’s been a long time since we’ve had something like this and it will be necessary in the playoffs

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If we can resign Zadorov at a reasonable price I'd love to keep him. I think he's actually played really well for us. Keep in mind that he's having to play with Myers and seems to have been able to help Myers not make as many mistakes by constantly giving him an out to pass to if in trouble, and also when Myers does make a mistake, Zadorov has been great at covering for him. Would love to go into next season with Hughers/Hronek/Soucy/Zadorov as a core on our D and maybe add a Tanev as well.

I would love to see what a pairing of Zadorov/Tanev would be like. With Tanev there instead of Myers, we might be able to see Zadorov open up a bit offensively knowing that he doesn't have someone like Myers to cover for all the time.
Agree.

I'm shocked how stable he has been.

My viewings (limited) before he became a Canuck was a Tyler Myers like chaotic play with less offense and much more physical play.

Reactions: Uhmkay and Bgav

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
People wanting to shop Zadorov before the playoffs are, in my opinion, wrong. This guy is a key piece of a playoff contender. Physical, punishing, disruptive players like him have a disproportionate impact come playoff time.

Think:

Raffi Torres in 2011
Dustin Byfuglien in 2009
Ryan Reaves in 2020
Michael Ferland in 2015

At this point in the season, no way I am trading Zadorov for anything less than a bonafide Top 4 RD 25 or under with a couple years of term left.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Zadorov might have been a more important addition to the lineup than Lindholm, because he brings such an intimidating presence on the back-end.

You could see it in that Chicago game, where some of the Hawk forwards were taking serious runs at the Canuck blueliners. Zadorov dishes out so much punishment along the wall, that forecheckers hesitate when they're coming into the Canuck zone.

And kinda' surprising that he doesn't look half bad when he decides to rush the puck into the offensive zone. I really hope the Canuck find some way to get him re-upped and back in the lineup next season.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If this version of Zadorov is the one that shows up for the playoffs, then he's 'money'. I really think that like a lot of Canuck blueliners this season, he's really benefiting working with the likes of Foote and Gonchar.

Both guys have a wealth of knowledge on what it takes to be an effective blueliner in the NHL, and all the d-men seem to be soaking it up. I mean you can look at Myers. He just doesn't look like the same guy who struggled off and on for five years previously.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If this version of Zadorov is the one that shows up for the playoffs, then he's 'money'. I really think that like a lot of Canuck blueliners this season, he's really benefiting working with the likes of Foote and Gonchar.

Both guys have a wealth of knowledge on what it takes to be an effective blueliner in the NHL, and all the d-men seem to be soaking it up. I mean you can look at Myers. He just doesn't look like the same guy who struggled off and on for five years previously.
Hes had a rough 5-10 games but seemed to get back on track vs B.

Awesome player to have when on his game.

Reactions: Grantham

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
After watching him lead the rush last night against Boston, anyone wanna give Zads one game as a winger just to see? It was a little nail biting watching because he did cough it up a few times at centre or Bostons blueline, with a forward having to cover. But if he's on as a forward barrelling down the boards like that, suddenly a turnover isn't nearly as worrisome. He was creating havoc when he rushed the puck. Big guy has some speed.

I know I know, it's a dumb idea, but it'd be fun to try at least once.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

yes pls!

you knew damn well, bostom players were trying their best to get out of his way. No joke. that's the presence having a guy with so many open ice hits as youtube highlites. Please sign this guy AV.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's only one game, granted.......but the version of Zadorov playing against the Bruins is a 'unicorn' A 6'6", 250 pound guy who hits a ton in the d-zone and leading rushes into the offensive zone.

I mean, are you kidding me? How do you not move and heaven and earth to get this guy's signature on a contract extension?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It's only one game, granted.......but the version of Zadorov playing against the Bruins is a 'unicorn' A 6'6", 250 pound guy who hits a ton in the d-zone and leading rushes into the offensive zone.

I mean, are you kidding me? How do you not move and heaven and earth to get this guy's signature on a contract extension?
He's a volatile player because he'll have games where he looks like a typical bottom pairing dman and then he'll have games like this vs Boston.

Really fun to watch when he's on his game, I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings in the playoffs.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong

He's quite literally what Benning saw in Gudbranson.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
He's a volatile player because he'll have games where he looks like a typical bottom pairing dman and then he'll have games like this vs Boston.

Really fun to watch when he's on his game, I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings in the playoffs.

So tonight he’s come down to earth after a fantastic game. Last two games are sort of a microcosm for his career. I’d be fine with Soucy money but am sorta iffy on re-signing him.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Volatility is generally not a good thing for the playoffs. Especially when it comes to penalties taken.

I hope they do not re-sign Zadarov. It's not worth the money to re-sign him and put him in Cole's spot next year, even if he takes Soucy/Cole money. Let him go.

Edit: Irfaan "Game 1 of the playoffs, Zadorov is getting taken out of the line-up over Juulsen".

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Canucks jumped on Zadorov because they felt they needed some 'meanness and truculence' on the back end. And you'd have to say he's delivered that in spades.

But consistency is an issue. He can look 'all world' in one game and then come crashing down to earth in the next. Not sure what the future holds for him in Vancouver, but he might be priced out because of cap issues with the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00