Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think the Canucks jumped on Zadorov because they felt they needed some 'meanness and truculence' on the back end. And you'd have to say he's delivered that in spades.

But consistency is an issue. He can look 'all world' in one game and then come crashing down to earth in the next. Not sure what the future holds for him in Vancouver, but he might be priced out because of cap issues with the Canucks.
He looked as good as he has ever looked for the first handful of games but has now regressed back to his usual play of bad penalties and puck blunders.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
He is a good dood.
Everything he says is genuinely interesting, and not the same-old from a hockey player, especially one not speaking his native language. It's really refreshing. And you can tell he came to North America earlier than most Russians... the way he speaks (I mean in vocab/turns of phrase) is so amusingly North Americanized for a guy who still has a noticeable accent. He is a really interesting dude.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Re-sign him
(but not for too much - show him the Gudbranson posts so he knows what he risks if he falls from our grace)

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Loved listening to his interview, what an interesting well spoken young man. Zads is insanely bright and I loved his views on the war in Ukraine, why it's important to dress sharp and his hit on Raymond that got his first suspension. Zadorov brings fear into his opponents, something that the Canucks haven't had in years on the backend. Would love to have this resigned immediately. Such a good dude.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Zadorov is prone to decision making errors. I wouldn’t be comfortable paying too much.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
6 years @ 6mil

6 million will be equivalent to 4 million in 3 years so a bargain when he is just 31 years old.

Maybe even 6.5 mil.

Easy peasy. Take Myers 6 mil cap hit and give it to Zadorov.

Take Cole's 3 million and give it to Myers that leaves Zadorov's current 3.75 mil to be used to add a bit to both and still leave some on the table.

All about being cap as neutral as possible and keeping the beginnings of a very good defence corp together.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
6 years @ 6mil

6 million will be equivalent to 4 million in 3 years so a bargain when he is just 31 years old.

Maybe even 6.5 mil.

Take Cole's 3 million and give it to Myers that leaves Zadorov's current 3.75 mil to be used to add a bit to both and still leave some on the table.

All about being cap as neutral as possible and keeping the beginnings of a very good defence corp together.
$6M to (essentially) a 2nd/3rd tweener pairing D man..?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I love big Z and hope they can re-sign him. That said, Soucy is making $3.25M and is the more valuable player. Zadorov won't take a cut but maybe they can get him at $3.9M by giving him term.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I generally do not prefer the volatility in Zadorov's game, but then you get a game like you did last night and you have to give him credit. He did everything you could ask of him.

Reactions: Canucker

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I generally do not prefer the volatility in Zadorov's game, but then you get a game like you did last night and you have to give him credit. He did everything you could ask of him.
Sure there's some 'volatility' in his game...but the Canucks have endured 'volatility' in Myers game for the last six years.

Maybe Zadorov morphs into the second coming of Zdeno Chara, who didn't really hit his stride with the Bruins until he was in his 30's and finally playing for a good team.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
6 years @ 6mil

Maybe even 6.5 mil.

This is a horrible take. Also, I have no idea how you determined 6M will be equal to 4M in 3 years. Are you expecting the cap to go up by 50% in 3 years?

Reactions: MarkMM

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
$6M to (essentially) a 2nd/3rd tweener pairing D man..?
Who else? This isn't a fantasy game where it's just pick this up here or there.
The future will say that 6 million is not much. Give the cap increase 15 to 20 million over the next 3/4 years or less.

6 million will be barely 6% of the cap by then.

The cap could be well over 100 million in 3 1/2 years.

Vancouver isn't beating away players who want to be here with sticks.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
REally excited to see what he brings come playoffs............I really would love for us to resign this guy. He's been a bit inconsistent but he has the ability to change games for us with his size and physicality.

I'd try for 3 years of high 3's and if we can get that I'd sign and be happy.

Reactions: MarkMM and Regal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Sure there's some 'volatility' in his game...but the Canucks have endured 'volatility' in Myers game for the last six years.

Maybe Zadorov morphs into the second coming of Zdeno Chara, who didn't really hit his stride with the Bruins until he was in his 30's and finally playing for a good team.

Chara was a Norris runner up with Ottawa at 26. I doubt we’d see major upside with Zadorov at this point though I could see him continue to refine his game for a couple more years. I think the biggest question is whether you want to tie up so much money into the left side of the defense along with Soucy and Hughes, even if they can move over if need be

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Chara was a Norris runner up with Ottawa at 26. I doubt we’d see major upside with Zadorov at this point though I could see him continue to refine his game for a couple more years. I think the biggest question is whether you want to tie up so much money into the left side of the defense along with Soucy and Hughes, even if they can move over if need be

Chara was getting Norris votes as far back as 01-02, and played in the ASG and was an end-of-season All-Star with the Sens.

Also, those Sens teams up to and around the lockout were pretty decent. To claim that Chara was only "finally playing for a good team" when he went to the Bruins is kind of absurd.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
would love to have him signed for 4mil 3 years.

5 years 20 M

6 years @ 6mil

Maybe even 6.5 mil.

$4M / year is the highest I'd go, it's not as simple as giving Myers's money to Zadorov because we have to account for the raises for the likes of Petersson, Hronek, either Lindholm or someone else in the top six, Joshua or his replacement, keep space for eventual raises for the likes of Hoglander, another top four RHD, and once we're getting into long-term deals account for raises for Hughes and Demko.

Not to mention the awkward years of the jump in OEL's buyout, and no, the rising cap alone doesn't cover for all of that, not even close.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
$4M / year is the highest I'd go, it's not as simple as giving Myers's money to Zadorov because we have to account for the raises for the likes of Petersson, Hronek, either Lindholm or someone else in the top six, Joshua or his replacement, keep space for eventual raises for the likes of Hoglander, another top four RHD, and once we're getting into long-term deals account for raises for Hughes and Demko.

Not to mention the awkward years of the jump in OEL's buyout, and no, the rising cap alone doesn't cover for all of that, not even close.
Hronek is the priority of the yet-to-be-signed RFAs. Podkolzin will get a raise but probably only to Hoglander's 2nd deal (1.1).
Of the UFAs I would look to sign at the right price I would put them in the following order: Joshua ($3M), Zadorov($4M), Lindholm ($6M), Blueger ($2.0), Lafferty ($1.2). In brackets is the maximum or they look to deploy the cap space elsewhere. I would think long and hard before signing Lindholm for $6M though. I expect he will get it from someone. I would rather take the $6M, add $1M (from DeSmith/Silovs difference?) and sign a $7M top 6 forward that still has some offense left in him. At these maximums I don't think they can sign all of these players. Choices will have to be made. I think they'll try to slot in some elcs in at least one of these slots.

I wouldn't re-sign Myers. Friedman or someone like him can be slotted in for league minimum. I'd love to have DeSmith back but they are better deploying the extra money elsewhere and Silovs may be ready.

I believe that's all the UFAs and RFAs on or near the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: alternate

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Maybe your comparison is the wrong players.
The concept of STOPPING goals is not flashy or sells many tickets, it just wins championships.
Petey's raise is accounted for.
Switch Zadorov and Myers contracts around and there is no more, additional cap space used.

If cap space is needed then trade one or both of the players that have asked a multitude of times to be traded, Boeser and Garland. That would save over 11 million in cap space and create enough extra space to go big game hunting.

Ya, ya but, but ,but Boeser scored 35+ goals! So? Horvat was on pace for 40 and he was replaced. Boeser is a one dimensional complimentary player. He isn't even "sniping" goals anymore, tips and 5 foot shots, hardly any from more than 10 feet away. Used to "snipe" those but misses the net entirely if 20 feet out.

Pretty sure 11+ million can find 50 goals during a season, but would the team really need to find that many if the prospects step it up? Maybe find 25 goals or build a defence that stops an additional 30 goals against.

But at least you are thinking logically, about logistics. Where things come from, how to get things, ramifications, impacts, etc..

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Stop comparing Zadorov to Myers unless you're using the comparison to suggest that Zadorov shouldn't be paid top 4 money on a long term contract. Myers is a RHD who was signed to a contract that few if anybody in hindsight likes.

For those proposing something ridiculous like 6 years & $6M, are you envisioning Zadarov as a long term fit on the 2nd pairing behind Hughes? Zadorov has been behind Cole, Myers, and now even Soucy practically all year. This isn't a slight on Big Z. He's a good defenseman. But like Soucy, he hasn't proven himself to be a top 4 Dman either in consistent ability or usage. I rather trust that management can find value on D rather than overpay to keep Big Z.

Zadorov is an intelligent and entertaining speaker. He knows what to say. It's easy to like him. But that should be worth close to $0 in contract negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad