Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He's Myers but consistently know and play like he's big (unlike Myers who rarely plays like he's 6'7)

Expecting some punishing hits, some penalties and occasional chaos giareffe moment

According to his underlying numbers, pretty decent at defence and transition, somehow had 14 goals last season

I expect Allvin to resign him next off-season, this is a long-term move like Hronek

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He's Myers but consistently know and play like he's big (unlike Myers who rarely plays like he's 6'7)

Expecting some punishing hits, some penalties and occasional chaos giareffe moment

According to his underlying numbers, pretty decent and defence and transition, somehwo had 14 goals last season

I expect Allvin to resign him next off-season, this is a long-term move like Hronek
Yes if he works out I suspect he is kept to replace Cole as a bottom pair D who can play top 4 sparingly

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Fill in the blank: “Nikita Zadorov is a number BLANK defenceman.”.

Poll done two weeks ago, so no anti-Canucks bias.

Seems that most people see him as a bottom pairing guy.

On this team he’d definitely be second pairing caliber though.

He's a 4/5 like Soucy. Ideally he's your #5, but he can suit up into your top 4.

I like this deal. We needed NHL caliber defensemen on this roster. What does our defense look like now when healthy?

Hughes-Hronek
Zadorov-Cole
Soucy-Myers

Is what I'm guessing

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Wow. Canucks are locked and loaded, defence completely revamped!

Hronek, Soucy, Zadorov, Cole all added in 1 season! Defence will be very good with Quinn Noris as #1 and Myers playing comfortable minutes on the 3rd pairing. Zadorov is a big addition. This team looks scary good, only problem is half the D is a UFA at the end of the season.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Fill in the blank: “Nikita Zadorov is a number BLANK defenceman.

Always appreciate your stats/data related based posts @SillyRabbit including the more subjective ones. We’re fortunate to have you as a regular contributor to our board.

This was a great distraction during my break from a longer than usual work day. Thank you @Knight53
IMG_5288.gif

ps. Thank you for starting this Thread @Kryten

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
He's a 4/5 like Soucy. Ideally he's your #5, but he can suit up into your top 4.

I like this deal. We needed NHL caliber defensemen on this roster. What does our defense look like now when healthy?

Hughes-Hronek
Zadorov-Cole
Soucy-Myers

Is what I'm guessing

Just went from an awkwardly small defence to a sizeable one (I think we'll let Hughes's size slide).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Big hits aside (some of which look pretty damn borderline), how good is he at actual hockey and playing defense, though? Is he in the same ballpark as Soucey, or is he actually another Myers, just with physicality?

Also, what's his cap hit?

Last edited:

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Big hits aside (some of which look pretty damn borderline), how good is he at actual hockey and playing defense, though? Is he in the same ballpark as Soucey, or is he actually another Myers, just with physicality?

Also, what's his cap hit?
Good skill level, good skater with mobility for his size, and even good defensively…

…but makes mistakes that can cost you by trying to do too much or thinking he’s more skilled than he is.

Also takes too many minor penalties.

If Tocchet can get him to play a simple safe game, he’s a really nice addition.

Just based on size, when he makes a mistake it will stand out so there will definitely be some Myers to his game…but even Myers can be extremely useful when he’s not trying to do too much, and playing further down the lineup.

Zadorov is another #5 though. If you’re expecting him to be a top 4 staple that’s bound to lead to disappointment. Yes, he should be able to play in the top 4 for periods of time but ideally you want him on your 3rd pair (unless he makes one of Hronek or Hughes that much better).

Played his best hockey ever under Sutter who likes his d-men to play safe and simple hockey, so he may excel under Tocchet (and playing beside either Hronek or Hughes where its clear what his role is).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Fill in the blank: “Nikita Zadorov is a number BLANK defenceman.

Voted him as a #5 guy in that poll and still ahven't changed my mind.

I guess we will wait and see but really is this team any better with him in and Anthony Beauvillier out?

I don't really think so but who knows sometimes a certain player is a better fit for a certain team sometimes not.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Voted him as a #5 guy in that poll and still ahven't changed my mind.

I guess we will wait and see but really is this team any better with him in and Anthony Beauvillier out?

I don't really think so but who knows sometimes a certain player is a better fit for a certain team sometimes not.

I think getting Juulsen out of the line-up and replacing Beauvillier's minutes with a guy like Hoglander is probably a net positive, but I don't think it's super material.

Reactions: MarkMM

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Good skill level, good skater with mobility for his size, and even good defensively…

…but makes mistakes that can cost you by trying to do too much or thinking he’s more skilled than he is.

Also takes too many minor penalties.

If Tocchet can get him to play a simple safe game, he’s a really nice addition.

Just based on size, when he makes a mistake it will stand out so there will definitely be some Myers to his game…but even Myers can be extremely useful when he’s not trying to do too much, and playing further down the lineup.

Zadorov is another #5 though. If you’re expecting him to be a top 4 staple that’s bound to lead to disappointment. Yes, he should be able to play in the top 4 for periods of time but ideally you want him on your 3rd pair (unless he makes one of Hronek or Hughes that much better).

Played his best hockey ever under Sutter who likes his d-men to play safe and simple hockey, so he may excel under Tocchet (and playing beside either Hronek or Hughes where its clear what his role is).
Accurate summary.

He reminds me of Graves (in a bad way) in that he tries to pull off these Bobby Orr rushes too often. Likes to shoot too often. When he plays up the lineup, he gets exposed when doing this and makes mistakes. He'd be better if he played within himself. But he's volatile (like Myers) and that's just how he plays.

Yep, he's a #5. If he's in the top-four, it will not be ideal. His contract ask will be at minimum $4M x 4, and there's no way Allvin should pay that.

As a short-term stopgap to solidify the blueline, I don't mind him filling some minutes and keeping the Juulsens out of the lineup. I don't want to see him on the team next season. Given his size and mobility you'd think he could be a rock solid top-four guy, but he's 28 and isn't one yet, so I don't expect it to happen. Paying him to be a top-four guy will be a mistake.

Reactions: vanuck

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

Hughes-Hronek
Zadorov-Cole
Soucy-Myers

Is what I'm guessing
They're going to juggle the 2nd and third pairing a lot before they find something that works, but every combination of those bottom two pairings can be big and scary.
That's gotta be the biggest bottom-4 in the league.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think getting Juulsen out of the line-up and replacing Beauvillier's minutes with a guy like Hoglander is probably a net positive, but I don't think it's super material.
Yes I agree and thought about this after I posted as well.

The Canucks do have an over abundance of singers but in a vacuum I think both players have the same type of overall value.

Reactions: TruGr1t

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Wow. Canucks are locked and loaded, defence completely revamped!

Hronek, Soucy, Zadorov, Cole all added in 1 season! Defence will be very good with Quinn Noris as #1 and Myers playing comfortable minutes on the 3rd pairing. Zadorov is a big addition. This team looks scary good, only problem is half the D is a UFA at the end of the season.
I still think Benning was a better assesser of dmen:

Myers
Gudbranson
Sbisa
Pouliot
Barkowski
Juolevi
Larsen
Etc

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca