Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Like the player but does he really deserve a raise on his current contract?

I think he is best suited in a 4/5 role so his current 3.75m/yr already seems fair to me...

Maybe something like 3.75m x 4?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
4x4 if he gives a discount. He probably gets 4x5 on the open market MINIMUM. Soucy he's very similar to Soucy, but Soucy signed a bargain contract.

He's an average #4 defenseman. If he's your #5 defenseman your defense is in great shape, and that IMO is his ideal role. It's a shame he isn't a RHD, he would look fantastic next to Hughes IMO.

Reactions: lawrence

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I really liked him the first 2 games, actually haven't like him as much since then. Some questionable decisions and not finishing guys as often on the walls as I would like. Haven't seen as many of those high-end outlet passes since then. Still takes up a lot of space and is hard to get away from especially around the net, and Myers seems to have stabilized a bit playing with him. I do wonder if Bear would have been a better fit overall, but they maybe didn't have the luxury to wait for Bear.

Agree that he shouldn't get a big contract.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really liked him the first 2 games, actually haven't like him as much since then. Some questionable decisions and not finishing guys as often on the walls as I would like. Haven't seen as many of those high-end outlet passes since then. Still takes up a lot of space and is hard to get away from especially around the net, and Myers seems to have stabilized a bit playing with him. I do wonder if Bear would have been a better fit overall, but they maybe didn't have the luxury to wait for Bear.

Agree that he shouldn't get a big contract.

His 2nd game was the NJD game which to me was his worst game by far.

I've liked every other game he's played and he's been a terrific addition so far. Really stabilized Myers again and will be interesting to see if it's Soucy or Zadorov who is paired there when Soucy returns.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Zarorov has shown more poise with the puck than I expected based on the reports of him being Myers-esque from time to time. He's got all the tools, he's not a fire drill in his own zone, and he's just hitting his prime. I hope they extend this guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Big Z is a perfect 'fit' with this Canuck team. He's popular in the dressing-room and will go war for his team-mates. And with 14 goals from the back-end last season, he's not totally devoid of offense.

He's a hulking presence in the D-Zone and everybody has to keep their head up when they coming over the blueline. I thought initially that the Myers-Zadorov pairing had not chance of success.

But they seem to compliment one another. And Myers is playing the best hockey of his Canuck career. Still, it all comes down to money, whether or not Zadorov is back next year. But I hope Allvin can get it done.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There are some rumours about Zadorov not being a good fit in the locker room. I wonder if that's more of a media perspective rather than actual player perspective (like the source is someone from the media).

Zadorov comes across as a guy who will say what the media wants to hear but he also comes across as someone who is direct and doesn't BS (typical of Russians). I could see that in his mind he deserves more minutes and a contract offer. Usually these things are understandable though. Players typically want to play more and have financial security. He did apologize to the fans in Calgary for their poor play and maybe that is seen by some players and having thrown them under the bus? But regardless that's Calgary.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He started off well, but you can see the warts in his game more apparently now. He's not a fit beyond mere insurance, IMO. And they can get an insurance depth LHD that has a much cheaper ticket.

What's more, Foote doesn't trust him. You can see it in how he gets benched/not played as much.

They should try to move him in a lateral trade for a RHD or a LW.

Reactions: vanuck

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
There are some rumours about Zadorov not being a good fit in the locker room. I wonder if that's more of a media perspective rather than actual player perspective (like the source is someone from the media).

Zadorov comes across as a guy who will say what the media wants to hear but he also comes across as someone who is direct and doesn't BS (typical of Russians). I could see that in his mind he deserves more minutes and a contract offer. Usually these things are understandable though. Players typically want to play more and have financial security. He did apologize to the fans in Calgary for their poor play and maybe that is seen by some players and having thrown them under the bus? But regardless that's Calgary.
The only person saying that was Don Taylor, no one backed up his claim. Most people said they have not heard that

Reactions: biturbo19

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The only person saying that was Don Taylor, no one backed up his claim. Most people said they have not heard that

Don Taylor has been voted cause there ain’t no drama coming from the locker room, no leaks. So he’s pretty much making stuff up cause CLICKSZZZaz

Reactions: Bgav

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Don Taylor has been voted cause there ain’t no drama coming from the locker room, no leaks. So he’s pretty much making stuff up cause CLICKSZZZaz
I really like Don Taylor, I find him witty/funny...but he's had some terrible takes lately...Right up until November, he was saying the Canucks should do a rebuild...The recent Z trade rumour as well (JR was on the show, and roasted D@D over it..'who made that up..you guys?').

Reactions: Bgav

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I really like Don Taylor, I find him witty/funny...but he's had some terrible takes lately...Right up until November, he was saying the Canucks should do a rebuild...The recent Z trade rumour as well (JR was on the show, and roasted D@D over it..'who made that up..you guys?').

Don Taylor must be bored cause he makes up too much shit. Dhaliwal can’t stop shutting the f*** up, glad they got called out.

Also, let’s talk about these two whom seem all they want is doom and gloom. Getting sick and tired of these has beens causing too much shit for no reason.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I can't wait to see him level people in the playoffs. One of the best open ice hitters in the league

it will be a momentum game changer in the playoffs. if he knocks out a team's top superstar could shift the series to vancouver's favour. vancouver hasnt had a hitter like that since torres but this time on defence.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Zadorov's MO is that there would be shifts or games where he looks really impressive out there and then there would be shifts or games where he completely disappears.

Maybe he finds a spot alongside a great defensive partner one year where he has a season where he played like a legitimate top 4 Dman. But he's probably not a plug and play top 4 Dman you can rely on to play 20 minutes on your second pairing and contend.

He started off well, but you can see the warts in his game more apparently now. He's not a fit beyond mere insurance, IMO. And they can get an insurance depth LHD that has a much cheaper ticket.

What's more, Foote doesn't trust him. You can see it in how he gets benched/not played as much.

I think you're too harsh. Zadorov is averaging over 18 minutes a game. He's a legitimate NHL Dman who isn't as prone to being absolutely terrible as some of the other Dmen we've seen come through here. I think if there is a "top 4 insurance upgrade" out there the Canucks should look into it but a lateral trade for a RHD is likely difficult to find without paying a high price. I wouldn't give up defensive depth for a LW.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Foote uses him the same way he uses every defenceman not named Hrnoek or Hughes

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Foote uses him the same way he uses every defenceman not named Hrnoek or Hughes

That benching after the Blues scored on their PP suggested otherwise. Maybe something like that has happened to Juulsen? (iirc)

I think you're too harsh. Zadorov is averaging over 18 minutes a game. He's a legitimate top 4 Dman who isn't as prone to being absolutely terrible as some of the other Dmen we've seen come through here. I think if there is a "top 4 insurance upgrade" out there the Canucks should look into it but a lateral trade for a RHD is likely difficult to find without paying a high price. I wouldn't give up defensive depth for a LW.

If DeBrusk can be had, they should pack Zadarov's bags. Vatrano would be a tough call.

The lateral trade assumes that something of value will be coming back for Zadarov first, that they can then peddle for Walker/other RHD.

Zadarov averages 17:46 TOI/GP, 5th among Canucks Dmen. That's 142nd for TOI/GP, and the top4 cut off is 128th. He's a #5 dman that is more luxury than necessity. They need a RHD hedge against Myers.

Reactions: Canucker

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That benching after the Blues scored on their PP suggested otherwise. Maybe something like that has happened to Juulsen? (iirc)

If DeBrusk can be had, they should pack Zadarov's bags. Vatrano would be a tough call.

The lateral trade assumes that something of value will be coming back for Zadarov first, that they can then peddle for Walker/other RHD.

Zadarov averages 17:46 TOI/GP, 5th among Canucks Dmen. That's 142nd for TOI/GP, and the top4 cut off is 128th. He's a #5 dman that is more luxury than necessity. They need a RHD hedge against Myers.

Whoa I don’t know what happened there. I did not mean to say he is a legitimate top 4 Dman. He is not. I think defensive depth is a necessity.

Reactions: rea

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Myers, Cole, Soucy and even Hughes has been benched at times. I think the only one that has not been benched is Hronek. The coaching staff is pretty fair when it comes to benching players when they aren't playing that well in any particular game. It's silly to try to infer trust from that unless you see a Kuzmenko like treatment where they are sent to the pressbox for multiple games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can't wait to see him level people in the playoffs. One of the best open ice hitters in the league
A huge bounce-back effort for Zadorov in Carolina tonight. The guy is simply a beast in his own zone. For forechecking forwards, it's like hitting a cement-mixer when you run into him.

He's going to be a big factor for the Canucks in the playoffs.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
He did play the least in toi last night vs the cane's, but having said that, he's exactly the type of body you want back there in a playoff series. You need those warriors punishing players in the corners, in front of the net, and after whistle bs, when the refs don't call shit. This is historically a factor, and we felt it vs the bruins.

The team needs rhd, but I don't think you sacrifice it while losing depth. If there's a play to add, the back end is not where I'd subtract from, because if the moment arises that some injuries hit, I'd hate to be running juulson in a top 4 spot.

Reminder of the fact that after losing hamhuis in the finals, that Aaron Rome suspension really ended that back end hard. And we are talking about Aaron Rome. You can never have too many dmen when it comes down to it.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
If we can resign Zadorov at a reasonable price I'd love to keep him. I think he's actually played really well for us. Keep in mind that he's having to play with Myers and seems to have been able to help Myers not make as many mistakes by constantly giving him an out to pass to if in trouble, and also when Myers does make a mistake, Zadorov has been great at covering for him. Would love to go into next season with Hughers/Hronek/Soucy/Zadorov as a core on our D and maybe add a Tanev as well.

I would love to see what a pairing of Zadorov/Tanev would be like. With Tanev there instead of Myers, we might be able to see Zadorov open up a bit offensively knowing that he doesn't have someone like Myers to cover for all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad