Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I love the physical element this guy brings to the team. He's not going to break someone's face like Chara would, but he's can answer the bell against almost anyone, and his ability to throw devestating, clean hits is a rare skill.

As others have said, I think his reputation for gaffes is overblown. He's such a good skater and is so big that he's always able to buy himself enough space to make a play, so when he does make a mistake it looks unforced compared to a player like Stetcher who will battle with every fiber of his being, and when he gets outmuscled it looks more like the other player is great rather than Stetcher is bad.

He's also pretty young still. I think our coaching staff could unlock another level from Zadorov if he sticks around and they can keep on working with him.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
to me, the D is pretty easy to figure out cap wise. Zadorov can fit right in.

Myers + Hronek is almost a wash. Hronek gets 7, Myers gets 2.9. their combined cap hit saves us 500k from prior year.
Give this 500k and Cole's money to Big Z.
Now you have
Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Zadorov, Myers and Juulsen under contract.
This is your base for moving forward. 3 lefties, three righties.
Nothing added to the cap.
Now, if you save money elsewhere and can upgrade go for it but Zadorov fits in nicely

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
to me, the D is pretty easy to figure out cap wise. Zadorov can fit right in.

Myers + Hronek is almost a wash. Hronek gets 7, Myers gets 2.9. their combined cap hit saves us 500k from prior year.
Give this 500k and Cole's money to Big Z.
Now you have
Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Zadorov, Myers and Juulsen under contract.
This is your base for moving forward. 3 lefties, three righties.
Nothing added to the cap.
Now, if you save money elsewhere and can upgrade go for it but Zadorov fits in nicely
Cap neutral. That's necessary because the Canucks have 2.4 million less than other clubs next year.

Boeser should be easier to trade next year and Garland too.
That's an additional 11.5 million right there.
Joshua get his raise, to 1.5 mil, Then the decisions on Lafferty, Suter and Blueger.
Pods get a raise, maybe 1.2 mil or a lot less, 900K?

Then really work for a trade for Crouse, this kid will be a handful over the next 5 years.

Get playoff sized. Crouse and Barron, both 6'4" 220, maybe try for Josh Anderson, 6'3" 218. For the same cap hit as Garland and Boeser. One big FU****N line, all closer to Petey's age, two of the three "protect" team mates.

Would be great to get a Rempe type. Just for the prom you see.

Hopefully Silvos or Tolopilo are ready for back up work next year, they may even be needed this year. Demko's injury is clouded IMO. It could be worse than reported by the team.
It odd that this injury will be healed at the start of playoffs, sort of like saving him for then?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Cap neutral. That's necessary because the Canucks have 2.4 million less than other clubs next year.

Boeser should be easier to trade next year and Garland too.
That's an additional 11.5 million right there.
Joshua get his raise, to 1.5 mil, Then the decisions on Lafferty, Suter and Blueger.
Pods get a raise, maybe 1.2 mil or a lot less, 900K?

Then really work for a trade for Crouse, this kid will be a handful over the next 5 years.

Get playoff sized. Crouse and Barron, both 6'4" 220, maybe try for Josh Anderson, 6'3" 218. For the same cap hit as Garland and Boeser. One big FU****N line, all closer to Petey's age, two of the three "protect" team mates.

Would be great to get a Rempe type. Just for the prom you see.

Hopefully Silvos or Tolopilo are ready for back up work next year, they may even be needed this year. Demko's injury is clouded IMO. It could be worse than reported by the team.
It odd that this injury will be healed at the start of playoffs, sort of like saving him for then?
You have zero grasp of contract estimating and knowing who is even under contract next year. Thats the nicest way I can put it. Maybe listen more than talking here for a while

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
You have zero grasp of contract estimating and knowing who is even under contract next year. Thats the nicest way I can put it. Maybe listen more than talking here for a while
I will direct you to Cap Friendly where all the NHLPA contracts are listed with terms as well. Signing dates, clauses salary vs cap hit, LTIR's, IR's, Buyouts, dead cap space, bonus overages, and of course the cap amount. They even have a CBA FAQ section.
For more info there is NHL Reference and the NHL home website.

While guessing what might happen can be twitchy, know who has a contract next year NOW is simple, read it. Then you know who is contracted next year, no guessing at all.

Canucks have a 2.4 million dollar cap hit from the OEL buyout next year and year following two years it's 4.7 million.

Some CBA rules also have minimums listed for raises.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I will direct you to Cap Friendly where all the NHLPA contracts are listed with terms as well. Signing dates, clauses salary vs cap hit, LTIR's, IR's, Buyouts, dead cap space, bonus overages, and of course the cap amount. They even have a CBA FAQ section.
For more info there is NHL Reference and the NHL home website.

While guessing what might happen can be twitchy, know who has a contract next year NOW is simple, read it. Then you know who is contracted next year, no guessing at all.

Canucks have a 2.4 million dollar cap hit from the OEL buyout next year and year following two years it's 4.7 million.

Some CBA rules also have minimums listed for raises.
I know, I can also read there that Suter is under contract next year so no decision is needed for him this summer. Like you say, its pretty simple to know

Reactions: theguardianII

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I like Zadorov but I can easily see him price himself out. I like his physicality and simple game but if hes asking for like $4M or more I think thatd be too rich. I'd keep him for between $2-3M for sure as long as it's not pricing out other players I'd keep over him like Blueger, Joshua, Hronek, etc.

Reactions: MarkMM

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
6X6 or 6X8

6 mil will be a bargain in a year and going forward.

Relatively healthy, reliable, under30 yrs old, large, hits not bumps, still shows there are aspects to his game yet, offensively, good to great first pass.

The team's size needs to be at least the league average or larger. Smaller teams do fairly well in the easy season but are not in the real season.

Zadorov is a important part of the defensive corp. He is being used primarily defensively but could expand his repertoire a little with some more PP time and practice.

All these large humans should be practicing one timers from the point. Sometimes NOT being too sure where the puck is going can help if everyone is ducking out of the way.

We are so used to the flat cap that 6 million seems too much but 35 yr old Cole is getting 3 million and Hronek is about to get round 8+ mil if he is kept.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Frankly I'd like to see the Canucks make contract offers to both Lindholm and Zadorov.....but don't think it will happen.

If it turns our they're just rentals.....it'll have cost the Canucks quite a few draft picks. But that's just the price you have to pay for loading up at the deadline.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Would still avoid signing this player. Mileage, age, etc. If we’re overpaying for anyone with size and physicality, it has to be Joshua.
At the start of next season, he'll be the same age as Chara was when he signed with Boston. He played another 16 seasons. Zadorov is like a big diesel engine and should age well, built to absorb punishment. I'd have no problem giving him 5 years.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
pay the man. but depends how much. maybe 5mil 4 years his worth will be in the playoffs where he can deleiver punishing hits to oncoming forwards. but he has to be careful to not get suspended. but since playoffs are a whole different game than regular season. it could be a advantage for him. could change a series or a game with his hits

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The thing is, the entire team seems to play 'bigger' when Zadorov is in the lineup. If you mess with one of the Canucks top players, then you're going to have to deal with 'Big Z'.

It's not like he's a great fighter, but his punishing hits along the wall keep teams honest. It's like having an 'enforcer' in your lineup, but a guy who can also play. You gotta' pay the man, don't you?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm with other posters on this one.......I think re-signing Zadorov should be a higher priority than even inking Hronek.

Hronek is a rare right-shot d-man who's good for 40-50 points a season. He'd fetch a pretty penny on the trade market, even as an RFA. And the Canucks do have another promising right-shot d-man in the system in Tom Wilander.

But where are you going to find the combination of size and nastiness embodied in Zadorov? Forget about it, you simply can't.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I would pass on Hronek at over 7.5 and I wouldn’t sign Zadorov at all. He’s not signing anything reasonable. Lot of miles.

I‘m putting a lot of stock into if Hronek sits this week. If he does, he’s not hitting 50 points. And being content with that means he’s okay shaving a few hundred k off his next deal.

And if he plays 25 minutes in each game, squeezing every penny means he’s not in Vancouver next year.

I already have a guess that VAN’s blueline has Tanev, Dillon, and Juulsen taking Myers, Zadorov, and Cole’s spots next year.

I’m not concerned with this management’s ability to identify the right fits and get them signed at fair deals

Reactions: Grantham

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I would pass on Hronek at over 7.5 and I wouldn’t sign Zadorov at all. He’s not signing anything reasonable. Lot of miles.

I‘m putting a lot of stock into if Hronek sits this week. If he does, he’s not hitting 50 points. And being content with that means he’s okay shaving a few hundred k off his next deal.

And if he plays 25 minutes in each game, squeezing every penny means he’s not in Vancouver next year.

I already have a guess that VAN’s blueline has Tanev, Dillon, and Juulsen taking Myers, Zadorov, and Cole’s spots next year.

I’m not concerned with this management’s ability to identify the right fits and get them signed at fair deals
It all depends on what big Z wants. I would go near to 5x5M$ I think he is the sort of character a team needs. We could really use a forward that nobody wants to mess with added next, assuming he can actually play hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad