Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I thought he's been excellent...made some pretty high end plays and was very solid in his own zone. Even the one giveaway you could understand what he was trying to do, would have helped create a clean breakout if it worked, just a little high risk and got deflected. Unlike some of the plays by Myers and Cole which defy all logic.

I think when evaluating defensive value not enough emphasis is placed on breakout ability, which is crucial to suppressing chances against. I hate so much the soft dumps up the boards right to the opposing defenseman, better just to ice it at that point because at least you're 50/50 to win a faceoff. Zadorov seems like he can actually make high end breakout plays unlike Myers or Cole or even Soucy.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs fan here, some of us loved him in Colorado where he got the nicknames of Big Z or Vitamin Z. He was loved, but that doesn't mean he doesn't go without his faults. He thinks he's a way better stick handler than he really is, but the biggest issue with him is that he's got super heavy strengths and weaknesses. He could be a top 5 defenceman in the league when it comes to off-the-rush chances, at times he was given the task to mark McDavid and he shut him down almost every time (since Connor is all about skating). The problem is he's one of the worst defencemen when it comes to defending against the cycle. His brain thinks too slowly and he gets too prone in puck watching and why he loses his man in coverage against heavy cycling teams. I am not sure if playing him and Myers together is a recipe for success though, that seems like a weird combination IMHO. Just let him play to his strengths and I think you lot will do alright.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So far Zadorov comes pretty much as advertised. He delivers some thunderous checks and can stop the cycle in its tracks......but is prone to the odd brain-cramp from time to time.

Pairing him Myers is a puck disaster waiting to happen.....needs to play with more of a skilled, playmaking blueliner. But still for the price they paid for him, he's a great addition as a 5-6 d-man.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if the comparable for Zadorov is Graves in the eyes of his agent.

Friedman's 32 thoughts today says he wanted term.

Graves has a 6x4.5.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I wonder if the comparable for Zadorov is Graves in the eyes of his agent.

Friedman's 32 thoughts today says he wanted term.

Graves has a 6x4.5.

I know the cap is going up but that would be a Benning contract unless Zadorov somehow is an absolute force for the rest of the season and even then I'd be very wary.

Soucy type 3x3 makes sense to me.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
So far, head looked like a Myers+. Better mobility and some snarl, but still subject to dumb, dumb plays, and arguably, over handling the puck. Really don't need him and Myers together. At the cost, I don't mind the pickup, but need to pair him with someone stay at home...

Bond

May 10, 2012
I know the cap is going up but that would be a Benning contract unless Zadorov somehow is an absolute force for the rest of the season and even then I'd be very wary.

Soucy type 3x3 makes sense to me.
I was just checking in this thread to see how he was settling in. I liked him as 5D on the Flames and if he would have signed 3x3 he would still be a Flame. Rumoured ask was 5x5 on CalgaryPuck, no idea how legit it was but that’s why I was fine with the Flames moving on

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If you can sign him to 4x4, I’d probably do it.

Again.

It depends on what management thinks is the best course of action in regards to the make up of our defense. If they believe Hughes can anchor this defense and want to just surround him with 4/5 guys who can play defense, then Zadorov/Soucy on the left side for the next 3-4 years is fine on the contingent that they get another top 4 rhd OR split Hronek and Hughes and find Hughes a serviceable 4/5 defenseman similar to a Tanev type.

If they would much rather have a higher end defensive group that will assuredly take minutes off Hughes to about 21-22 minutes a night, then signing Zadorov doesn’t make sense and they would need to go out and grab 2 legitimate top 4 defenseman.

Vegas defense ran with Hague, McNabb, Whitecloud, and Martinez who are all 4/5th defenseman but the key difference is that all of those guys are capable defenseman that can be trusted in all situations. None of those guys were depth/6th calibre defenseman. So yes, you can definitely run a defense group of 4/5 defenseman after Hughes/Hronek and have a defense by committee. St Louis and Pittsburgh had something similar, as well as Florida and 2018 Vegas.

Having a #1, #2, #3, #4 defenseman is certainly the ideal way however it’s just not always possible. You can build a respectable defensive group with a bunch of Soucy’s and at least a Hronek type defenseman somewhere in there. Fortunately, we have a top 5 defenseman in the league as an added luxury.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If you can sign him to 4x4, I’d probably do it.

Again.

It depends on what management thinks is the best course of action in regards to the make up of our defense. If they believe Hughes can anchor this defense and want to just surround him with 4/5 guys who can play defense, then Zadorov/Soucy on the left side for the next 3-4 years is fine on the contingent that they get another top 4 rhd OR split Hronek and Hughes and find Hughes a serviceable 4/5 defenseman similar to a Tanev type.

If they would much rather have a higher end defensive group that will assuredly take minutes off Hughes to about 21-22 minutes a night, then signing Zadorov doesn’t make sense and they would need to go out and grab 2 legitimate top 4 defenseman.

Vegas defense ran with Hague, McNabb, Whitecloud, and Martinez who are all 4/5th defenseman but the key difference is that all of those guys are capable defenseman that can be trusted in all situations. None of those guys were depth/6th calibre defenseman. So yes, you can definitely run a defense group of 4/5 defenseman after Hughes/Hronek and have a defense by committee. St Louis and Pittsburgh had something similar, as well as Florida and 2018 Vegas.

Having a #1, #2, #3, #4 defenseman is certainly the ideal way however it’s just not always possible. You can build a respectable defensive group with a bunch of Soucy’s and at least a Hronek type defenseman somewhere in there. Fortunately, we have a top 5 defenseman in the league as an added luxury.

I think this is fair, as long as there’s cap room for that other top 4 RH defenseman. I think more than anything they need to figure out a way to have a second pairing that can be counted on to play consistent minutes, whether, like you said, that means splitting Hughes and Hronek and bringing in a new Hughes partner or finding someone who can solidify a pairing a next to Zadorov or Soucy. I still think there’s a question of how well Hronek can solidify a second pairing on his own though. One reason Vegas works is because both Theodore and Pietrangelo can do that with 4/5 types as partners. If he can’t, it’s probably harder to find someone who can than someone who can fit next to Hughes. And that might mean you need more of that Zadorov cap.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I think this is fair, as long as there’s cap room for that other top 4 RH defenseman. I think more than anything they need to figure out a way to have a second pairing that can be counted on to play consistent minutes, whether, like you said, that means splitting Hughes and Hronek and bringing in a new Hughes partner or finding someone who can solidify a pairing a next to Zadorov or Soucy. I still think there’s a question of how well Hronek can solidify a second pairing on his own though. One reason Vegas works is because both Theodore and Pietrangelo can do that with 4/5 types as partners. If he can’t, it’s probably harder to find someone who can than someone who can fit next to Hughes. And that might mean you need more of that Zadorov cap.
We very likely have that other top 4 RHD coming in 2 years with Willander. Outside shot at Hunter Bruz being a top 4 guy as well. Probably just need a stop gap for next year - maybe a Tanev/Pesce/Bear on a 2-3 year deal in free agency will allow Willander to come into the lineup at his own pace.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
with the cap going up, 4x4 is doable for a #5 that can step up to a #4 and some spot PP2 duty. Vancouver is an attractive city if youre rich, and the team is on the upswing with plenty of opportunity for him to move up if he can handle it. I can see him being okay with it.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

the difference is hague, mcnabb and whitecloud make under 8m combined. zadorov and soucy are gonna approach that between them if not exceed it. you can't really rely on hughes bargain contract to offset either because vegas are only paying theodore 5.2m

i'm not saying a defense with soucy, zadorov, hughes, hronek and someone like tanev or cole can't work but vegas aren't really an example of something like that working

Reactions: Indiana

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I agree with others that a 4x4 seems fair. And I do think he's a guy that you could get more out of in a better situation. Playing with Myers is far from ideal.

I think in small area situations he's a great player to have. Last game he took Maroon out which led to us carrying the puck out of the zone (after Minny had sustained pressure for awhile), and then Maroon getting mad about it cost Minny any possibility of getting back in the game. He basically broke the pressure & ended the game with his sheer strength.

He's Soucy caliber, but brings different elements. If they can find a deal at 4 or under I'd love to have him back.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
4x4 would be my max with the condition that Foote / Gonchar are able to get him to consistently play within his limitations, and this is banking on a strategy that is counting on Willander being a top 4 RHD that's 1-2 seasons away, max (which I think is a gamble but one worth making).

Reactions: HockeyWooot

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Hes been a huge part of that physical presence this team desperately needed when Soucy comes back its one big skilled good skating d love what big z has been so far need one more top d one more big forward yet but he has been solid and a big addition.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Loving the fit so far too. Who knows what'll happen on the business side but let's enjoy having Z while it lasts. Once Soucy is back in the lineup it'll look like we actually have 6 NHLers in the blueline.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I think his camp would point to the Gavrikov deal as a comparable. $5.875 per on a 2 year deal. hopefully he comes in lower than that.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
3-4 years seems fair to me.
I would like to have him for less than 4 mil if possible.
Would love to see him f*** up the flames for the coming years.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think his camp would point to the Gavrikov deal as a comparable. $5.875 per on a 2 year deal. hopefully he comes in lower than that.

It depends if it's a profit-driven decision, but I would wager he gets $5Mish on the open market if he plays at his recent level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad