Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov - Protecting Our Investment

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
zadorov is an advanced stats fraud imo. he'll play fine 75% of the game but he gets it in his head he's bobby orr or chris pronger and does something monumentally stupid a couple times a game. i like him fine as a 5th/6th defender who gets limited minutes but the more you play him the more opportunity he has to hurt you

hoping the canucks don't extend him. i think soucy is far better at a far more reasonable price tag and i don't see a contender having both of them on the roster and being good

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
zadorov is an advanced stats fraud imo. he'll play fine 75% of the game but he gets it in his head he's bobby orr or chris pronger and does something monumentally stupid a couple times a game. i like him fine as a 5th/6th defender who gets limited minutes but the more you play him the more opportunity he has to hurt you

hoping the canucks don't extend him. i think soucy is far better at a far more reasonable price tag and i don't see a contender having both of them on the roster and being good
My thoughts exactly.

He's like Ryan Graves in that he would be much better if he played within himself, except that he has a belief that he can execute Bobby Orr or Ray Bourque stuff you don't want him doing. But he has just enough athleticism that once in a while he can pull it off and that's what people remember, not the 10 other times he made some chaotic play.

His extension will be bad. I like the trade as a rental. Don't want to see him next season.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Zadorov was roundly boo'd by the Calgary fans..Obviously, they thought his trade request tanked his value.

Its always interesting that when a team wants to get the financial advantage on a player (using whatever cutthroat tactics possible to get the upper hand) the GM is perceived as 'doing a good job'.....When a player uses all means of tactics for leverage..he's perceived as having no allegiance..or being mercenary.

Reactions: F A N

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Zadorov was roundly boo'd by the Calgary fans..Obviously, they thought his trade request tanked his value.

Its always interesting that when a team wants to get the financial advantage on a player (using whatever cutthroat tactics possible to get the upper hand) the GM is perceived as 'doing a good job'.....When a player uses all means of tactics for leverage..he's perceived as having no allegiance..or being mercenary.

Dan Milstein has been gold for us, Vancouver is a top destination for Russians now.

ChuckFanForever

Jun 5, 2011
I liked the one play where a Calgary player knocked him over from behind, but he still shielded the puck from being stolen... if it were Myers in that situation, you know where that puck is ending up!

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I'm with you guys, odds are there will be a team desperate for blueline help who will give him a Gudbranson contract in July 2024... and we just can't be paying a bottom-pairing D-man that much money with term.

Maybe, though, Tocchet can coach him into being more responsible and he evolves more like Bieksa did, who knows.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm with you guys, odds are there will be a team desperate for blueline help who will give him a Gudbranson contract in July 2024... and we just can't be paying a bottom-pairing D-man that much money with term.

Maybe, though, Tocchet can coach him into being more responsible and he evolves more like Bieksa did, who knows.

Well we have the rest of the year to analyze and make our decision on Zadorov. If he sucks, then we don't resign him, but if he fits in here like a glove and brings the physicality I think we do resign him. Player wants to be here with his friends, I'd think he takes a discount.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well we have the rest of the year to analyze and make our decision on Zadorov. If he sucks, then we don't resign him, but if he fits in here like a glove and brings the physicality I think we do resign him. Player wants to be here with his friends, I'd think he takes a discount.
The management here have been desiring him for quite some time. (not a secret) ..I highly doubt he's only here for a flash in the pan this season.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I like this acquisition, size on the backend is a glaring need. Even he's just a rental that can provide value in the season and in playoffs that's good.

If he proves a good add to the bottom pair maybe we re-up on a team friendly deal. I think it's highly likely he's a LHD replacement of Myers, but doing it better with a bit more jam and at suitable bottom pair price.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Im betting on them re signing him. Our pro scouts with this management have done well and I dont think this will be different. I could see him getting the Gudbranson deal and being 1 of 4 D that will have term and money on the team, the others will be sub 1m/elc’s. If you look around the league its just the way it is these days how to allocate cap space and deal with a diluted talent pool

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I'm fine with a Soucy like (or perhaps slightly above) extension. Either him or Soucy will need to make an effective pairing with Hronek at some point if it's going to work but like Mikheyev and Lafferty he brings a dimension that the team sorely lacks.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i just don't see how you construct a good team with soucy and zadorov making 7-9m between them.

quinn (~8m) - ???
zadorov (~4-5m?) - hronek (~7-9m?)
soucy (~3m) - ???

that's 22-25m for 4 players and then you're probably looking at another 3-6m for a hughes partner (or banking on willander/some bargain find just immediately stepping in)

with 32m committed up front to only 7 players (before resigning pettersson) and at least 6m in goal with a likely cap of 87m that doesn't leave much room to add another winger or another center

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
i just don't see how you construct a good team with soucy and zadorov making 7-9m between them.

quinn (~8m) - ???
zadorov (~4-5m?) - hronek (~7-9m?)
soucy (~3m) - ???

that's 22-25m for 4 players and then you're probably looking at another 3-6m for a hughes partner (or banking on willander/some bargain find just immediately stepping in)

with 32m committed up front to only 7 players (before resigning pettersson) and at least 6m in goal with a likely cap of 87m that doesn't leave much room to add another winger or another center
Tampa pays 25 million now before the cap increase
Canucks right now pay over 26 million.
Next year the total available of the defence cap used now.

QH - 7.75
Soucy - 3.25
That's it.
With the increase not included yet.
Zadorov and Myers equal 9.75 mil just redistribute that, split 9 mil between them. Zod - 4.5 to 5, Myers 3.5 to 4
Cole could retire at 36 saving his 3 mil to be used for Hronek
Hronek - 6 to 7.5 mil, not higher than Hughes
Then the added cap space of 1.5 mil

QH -FH - NZ - TM - CS - GB - ? maybe even EB
Basically the same next year as this

More could be available once Boeser and Garland trade requests are completed.
My thoughts exactly.

He's like Ryan Graves in that he would be much better if he played within himself, except that he has a belief that he can execute Bobby Orr or Ray Bourque stuff you don't want him doing. But he has just enough athleticism that once in a while he can pull it off and that's what people remember, not the 10 other times he made some chaotic play.

His extension will be bad. I like the trade as a rental. Don't want to see him next season.
Love it when fans of other teams try to give advice, Devilish :D see avatar
That's going price. Pretty standard for those types of playoff players. It has been a problem here because it has been so long since a lot of fans have actually watched many playoff games and seen the impact, sorry for the pun, larger players have.

Tarzans not Ballerina's win playoff series.

Of course this is a franchise where most fans were lead around to believing Benning was GREAT for years.
The team finally get decent players and poster want to get rid of them before the season is even half way? Really?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Tampa pays 25 million now before the cap increase
Canucks right now pay over 26 million.
Next year the total available of the defence cap used now.

QH - 7.75
Soucy - 3.25
That's it.
With the increase not included yet.
Zadorov and Myers equal 9.75 mil just redistribute that, split 9 mil between them. Zod - 4.5 to 5, Myers 3.5 to 4
Cole could retire at 36 saving his 3 mil to be used for Hronek
Hronek - 6 to 7.5 mil, not higher than Hughes
Then the added cap space of 1.5 mil

QH -FH - NZ - TM - CS - GB - ? maybe even EB
Basically the same next year as this

More could be available once Boeser and Garland trade requests are completed.

Love it when fans of other teams try to give advice, Devilish :D see avatar

That's going price. Pretty standard for those types of playoff players. It has been a problem here because it has been so long since a lot of fans have actually watched many playoff games and seen the impact, sorry for the pun, larger players have.

Tarzans not Ballerina's win playoff series.

Of course this is a franchise where most fans were lead around to believing Benning was GREAT for years.
The team finally get decent players and poster want to get rid of them before the season is even half way? Really?
No to re-signing Myers. He's having a "decent" season only because it's a contract year. He did the same thing with the Jets when Benning got suckered into signing him.

Reactions: Indiana

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

quinn (~8m) - ???
zadorov (~4-5m?) - hronek (~7-9m?
)
soucy (~3m) - ???

I don't get people's stubbornness to put Hronek on the 2nd pairing on our depth chart? Hughes and Hronek have been arguably the best pairing in the league, ala Makar and Toews good; why are we trying to find another top pairing guy? It's clear we still need a 2nd pairing player, not someone to play with Hughes - we found the partnership!

Perhaps unrelated: I also don't get why people want to see Hronek 'anchor his own pairing before signing long term'. We're not really in a position to make that choice. We have to sign Hronek because he's a good defenceman and we need to keep good defenceman.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I don't get people's stubbornness to put Hronek on the 2nd pairing on our depth chart? Hughes and Hronek have been arguably the best pairing in the league, ala Makar and Toews good; why are we trying to find another top pairing guy? It's clear we still need a 2nd pairing player, not someone to play with Hughes - we found the partnership!

Perhaps unrelated: I also don't get why people want to see Hronek 'anchor his own pairing before signing long term'. We're not really in a position to make that choice. We have to sign Hronek because he's a good defenceman and we need to keep good defenceman.

i'm not trying to imply hronek isn't a top 2 defender but he and hughes are redundant to an extent and pairing them just doesn't make sense to me as a long term thing

hughes puts up good results with pretty much whoever he is paired with. if hronek is actually a top pairing guy you get better results putting him with a weaker player like zadorov or soucy and elevating a second pairing than doubling up with hughes

if the canucks had another clear cut top 4 defender then you can get away with overloading the top pairing with hughes and hronek but putting them together means you get 20-30 elite minutes and 25-35 below average minutes (depending on penalties) instead of getting like 45+ elite to above average minutes

vegas don't play theodore and pietrangelo together

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
There is this nobody youtuber who insists that Flames won the trade, and his arguments are: Luke Schenn had similar return and Flames now have cap space.
:laugh:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The rationale is that Hronek is expected to demand/command a lot of money. If Hronek can be both Quinn’s best partner and anchor a 2nd pairing then he provides more value. Otherwise, if he’s not playing with Quinn then what happens?

There are only so many guys you can devote premium dollars to and that’s what it comes down to. If he is asking for top pairing 45+ point D money he should be able to play like a top pairing Dman who produces 45+ without Quinn.

Reactions: Grantham and Regal

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
I hoped he ends up with the Devils but happy for Vancouver they got him. Gritty guy who can play D.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Its because of the salary cap.

If you can get the 5th best Dpairing by having that pair with a cap hit of 10 mil.

Or you can get the best Dpairing by having that pair with a cap hit of 15 mil.

You should go with option A.

Reactions: bh53

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I like his game even after the NJ game
Same. Probably in the minority here. Felt like he was being dragged down by Myers but liked the way he moved the puck and defended the cycle

Feel like he’d be dynamite on the bottom pair with Soucy

Reactions: Bgav

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad