Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks blueline just got a lot tougher to play against.....Let's face it, the last 10 games or so, it's apparent how teams are attacking the Canucks.

They're throwing in pucks behind the d-men, and then winning puck battles along the end-boards and starting those endless cycles that usually result in either a penalty or a goal. With Zadorov, a lot of those cycles will be stopped in their tracks.

Now if he can only convince Myers to use his 6'7" frame to do some heavier work along the boards, and the Canucks might have their own 'twin towers' back on the blueline.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

At the very least, he has a lot of connections to the Canucks and should fit in very quickly.

for sheer hilarity, i want us to start an OT on the PP with garland and hog up front, zaddy and myers on D. then i want garland to be kicked out of the circle and one of the D has to take the faceoff.

you guys know what i’m talking about right?

1701539962424.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i’ll be honest: a small part of me is hoping for gonchar and foote to pull an absolute miracle here and magically unlock a legit top 3 dman hiding in zaddy like jason garrison’s late 20s transformation. or hell dream big and hope for late 20s sheldon souray.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Really like the guy. As someone who watches a good amount of Calgary games because of family reasons, I agree with his shortcomings. He is better than Myers, but "doing too much" is definitely the flaw. How worthwhile it is to keep him on the roster will depend on contract demands, how well he fits into Tocchet's system (I like bringing him over from a recently-Sutter coached Calgary team - has the same benefit of acquiring guys like Cole and Soucy from well coached backends), and whether or not he can add something more to his game in his late 20s/early 30s. He's certainly gotten better in his time in the league, and if you take his comments at face value, his coachability and strong work ethic could be responsible.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I really liked Zadorov too even before I knew he was getting traded to the Canucks. I really admired his stance against his home country. How he does not support Russia invading Ukraine. How it's a suicide mission. I thought his comments showed a lot of courage considering a lot of NHL players are terrified of their home country, and for good reason.
Also think it was awesome that Zads wore the pride jersey without hesitation. Shows what type of guy he is, and I think his leadership and character will be a welcomed addition on this team.

Also hoping Zadorov will make opposing teams forwards terrified to crash the net. Looking forward to game night tonight, and seeing Zads for the first time in a Canucks uni.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I really liked Zadorov too even before I knew he was getting traded to the Canucks. I really admired his stance against his home country. How he does not support Russia invading Ukraine. How it's a suicide mission. I thought his comments showed a lot of courage considering a lot of NHL players are terrified of their home country, and for good reason.
Also think it was awesome that Zads wore the pride jersey without hesitation. Shows what type of guy he is, and I think his leadership and character will be a welcomed addition on this team.

Also hoping Zadorov will make opposing teams forwards terrified to crash the net. Looking forward to game night tonight, and seeing Zads for the first time in a Canucks uni.
How about if the Nux get Barrie, they played together when Barrie had his best years.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
When asked, "What is best in life?"

Zadorov replies, "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Nice to hear that he is an atypical Russian...

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Alright we have Zadorov now, its time to go get our other NIkita back out of Russia. Been about 6 years of me saying I want to see the giant Nikita's playing together.

I don't expect it to be a good pairing, but it'd be really entertaining.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
How did he look?

Pretty good, logged over 17 minutes and finished +2. You can see the Myers-type flailing from the big limbs at times, but he didn't ever look too frantic in his first game. He made a few good plays at the blueline, and I like how he uses his size in front of Demko.

I say the big win is he wasn't too visible in terms of brain farts.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Without getting in the "politics", I'll just leave it as you said; it takes real balls to state his opinion publically like that. Regardless of how good he'll be for us on the ice, off the ice, he seems to be far better person.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The impression I get is that when he makes a mistake it’s a loud one. Give away in front of the net, blown coverage, etc. very obvious stuff. Myers’ also makes these mistakes but he also is constantly making the wrong decision on every play even if it didn’t result in a negative. He’s always doing little things wrong that kill possessions or zone time, flubs breakouts, or extends the opponent’s time in the offensive zone.

That’s difference between the two. Both make loud mistakes but Zadorov limits, or doesn’t make, the constant little mistakes that Myers does.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The impression I get is that when he makes a mistake it’s a loud one. Give away in front of the net, blown coverage, etc. very obvious stuff. Myers’ also makes these mistakes but he also is constantly making the wrong decision on every play even if it didn’t result in a negative. He’s always doing little things wrong that kill possessions or zone time, flubs breakouts, or extends the opponent’s time in the offensive zone.

That’s difference between the two. Both make loud mistakes but Zadorov limits, or doesn’t make, the constant little mistakes that Myers does.

Yep. The Myers and Zadorov comparison is superficial at best. Zadorov drives possession; Myers does not.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
He is the anti-chaos Rhyno. Loved how calm and simple he played. Really good underlying numbers last game, probably the least leaky of all our D that game. Seems to be very intelligent with low panic.

Surviving the Myers pairing is the first step, and he looked good.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
He is the anti-chaos Rhyno. Loved how calm and simple he played. Really good underlying numbers last game, probably the least leaky of all our D that game. Seems to be very intelligent with low panic.

Surviving the Myers pairing is the first step, and he looked good.
This is key for a player like him. I remember watching him on the Avs and he was Myers-esque in that he tried to do too much and got caught out of position.

He's a monster if he just plays a simple, physical game which it seems like he's gotten too now in his career.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1