Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Can be a one off. It happens. I think Lek tops out as a 40pt guy.
it could be but he's got pedigree. He broke an SHL playoff record as a 20 year old kid.

Mind you 40 pts ain't bad. I think his ceiling is close to Gally's production wise.

I definitely wouldn't assume that season was an aberration.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
it could be but he's got pedigree. He broke an SHL playoff record as a 20 year old kid.

Mind you 40 pts ain't bad. I think his ceiling is close to Gally's production wise.

I definitely wouldn't assume that season was an aberration.
Every time I read your post I feel like it's a post I could've written. Because of you I have nothing to add on some many subjects.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I won't say out right he can be better but i really believe his game projects better in the pros than Galchenyuk.

Big reason's skating. Scherbak can fly. If Scherbak continues to fill out he'll also be bigger.

Scherbak's a much better passer. Galch came advertised as a playmaker and he can make the odd nice pass but Scherbak's really impressive in this regard.

Galch has a better release on his shot I actually think Scherbak's shot is close. NS has been using it more of late. If he can continue to gain some confidence with it then he's got the skill to be a pretty good goal scorer.

Raw tool wise...I'd argue for Scherbak. The big thing is the skating which Scherbak has a pretty significant edge. No guarantee that he can even be an NHLer but I like his ceiling A LOT.

agreed, well said. One thing that will drive posters crazy is the dumb shit he does from time to time. Just random wtf moments that make you wonder what the hell he was thinking. But where i really want to see him improve is lower body strength. He's got to make a lot of improvement there, just way too easy to knock off the puck although I haven't seen a lot of him this year so far since he was out of the lineup so much.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Lekhonen has been one of our best forwards... Sure he's been snake bit, but you can tell he has real talent and he'll be an offensive contributor. Look at his shot percentage and shot generation, its pretty muchguaranteed top 6.
Still not producing which I believe is the measuring stick

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
During the summer training youth camp , NS was a little nonchalant on his way of thinking and playing. Scherbak seems at this time that in his mind, he had nothing to prove. Because his talent spoke in his favor.

There is one of the highlights that I remember about him during this camp.

It happened when he spent too much time to keep the puck. By doing some moves to impress the gallery. Someone stoles the puck (Juulsen?). It created a turnover and then a goal.

Since that time with the situation that he has endured, Nikita became more humble. Things fall into the right place on putting his feets into the ground. As well as by questioning on himself and not blaming the other people.

A specific regular physical program must be applied for him. It will help him to be a complete player. This is one of the stuff (physical side) that I want to see him improving into the next season with the seniors.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Drouin-Galchenyuk-Sherback

This would be nice to see...

It would be. But I'm with other posters who point out the priority should be developing Scherbak as best as possible over winning now. Scherbak can't lose by getting more and more seasoning in the AHL before he comes to the NHL full time. Better that he learns to play in all situations and plays 20 minutes a night in the AHL than getting jerked around and playing 10 minutes a night in the NHL.

I can wait until 2019-2o20 to see him in the NHL if that's what's best for his long term development.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It would be. But I'm with other posters who point out the priority should be developing Scherbak as best as possible over winning now. Scherbak can't lose by getting more and more seasoning in the AHL before he comes to the NHL full time. Better that he learns to play in all situations and plays 20 minutes a night in the AHL than getting jerked around and playing 10 minutes a night in the NHL.

I can wait until 2019-2o20 to see him in the NHL if that's what's best for his long term development.

Pretty certain starting next season he needs to clear waivers, which given his play, would not happen.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

I agree. Would love to see those 3 play off of eachother's skill and vision in the near future under a new coach.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Pretty certain starting next season he needs to clear waivers, which given his play, would not happen.

I thought it was the year after, but I just checked again and you're correct. So we'll definitely be seeing Scherbak on the team next year unless he's traded.

Will be interesting to see if McCarron can crack the 4th line.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I bet he gets called up for Tuesdays game.

Bergevin and Julien are thinking "it's not over yet, we can still make the playoffs, maybe Scherbak can get us over the hump." Then after his first defensive mistake, he's playing 10 minutes a night.

airlouche

Jan 24, 2008
Laval
I saw him with the Rocket, he's a good player. I understand there is a big step between Ahl and NHL but I think he can bring something to the Habs. He's not a savior by any means but if he can 'entertain us' and bring hope for the future...

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Gallagher is still a guy a smart GM would trade and maximize his value. There will be nothing left of him by the time we are ready to compete.

He's one guy I'd hate to trade but you're bang on with this. He also has a great contract and he's highly regarded around the league. Lots of teams would put bids for him. I could see the Devils going after him to be their new Brian Gionta.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He's one guy I'd hate to trade but you're bang on with this. He also has a great contract and he's highly regarded around the league. Lots of teams would put bids for him. I could see the Devils going after him to be their new Brian Gionta.

The hope with any of our veterans is that a contender is ready to give up the future for a chance to win the cup this year.

Too bad Dorion already gave up a top prospect for Burrows last year, and gave up so many futures for Duchene. The guy's a tool, perhaps the only GM in the league worse than Bergevin.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The hope with any of our veterans is that a contender is ready to give up the future for a chance to win the cup this year.

Too bad Dorion already gave up a top prospect for Burrows last year, and gave up so many futures for Duchene. The guy's a tool, perhaps the only GM in the league worse than Bergevin.

I don't think Dorion is a very good GM, but when a guy like Eugene Melnyk is calling the shots, it takes whatever ability he does have out of the equation.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Gallagher is still a guy a smart GM would trade and maximize his value. There will be nothing left of him by the time we are ready to compete.

It really depends if you want to go full re-build. I wouldn't bank on him breaking down. Yes, common wisdom says with his style of play that it's inevitable but that's not where I'd put my money. He's too important and is still too young to really worry about that.

If we can get a good high pick and make good use of that cap we could be a completely different team fairly quickly and he'd be one of the last players I'd trade. We'd probably get a good haul for him though.

He's a future C imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad