Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Doesn't make sense, Hudon has never been even close than being this productive even if you try hard to make him look good, Scherbak is head and shoulder above him AHL wise. Charles is struggling to put up points in the NHL, no way was he ready last season. Looks good but still have so much to learn.

Hudon killed it to start his rookie year, he faded but didn't have a very good team around him either. He was among the top scorers in the entire AHL as a 20 year old, but there was no way he was going to keep up that pace. He's easily been better then Scherbak if you compare their first 2 seasons, it's not even close although not really fair to compare since Hudon was 20 as a rookie and Scherbak was 19 for the first 3 months of the season and he's had injury issues.

Hudon in his first two years had a .76 and .79 ppg, his last year was .88 Scherbak had a .48 and a .62 ppg. It's only been 9 games so it's hard to say what he will do over the full season. He certainly has the skill, frame, speed, skating and passing game to be better then Hudon. But in his fist two years he was certainly behind what Hudon did, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
If a first round pick isn’t producing in the NHL 5 years after drafted , they More than likely never will. I’d love to see a list of first round picks that became productive NHL players five year after drafted
That will be a short list. If by next year Sherbak isnt in Montreal producing , he never will

By putting a 1st round qualifier + 5 year wait time you are really limiting the pool of eligible players. Go beyond the first round and we have some really good examples though. Although every draft seems to have a first round example or close to it.

Jake Guentzel was a 3rd round selection drafted a year before Scherbak. He put up 44 points in 30 games last year in the AHL. Scherbak is on pace for 55 in the same games played. Jury is still out but Sven Andrighetto didn't become a point per game player in the AHL until his 4th pro season.

Anthony Mantha is a first round selction who didn't go ppg in the AHL until his 4th year after draft but admittedly he got called up that year and was very productive in the NHL.

Radak Faska played his first full season in the NHL in his 5th post draft season and is on pace for almost 25 goals.
Mark Jankowski looks to be about to break out and he's 2 drafts behind Scherbak.

Devin Shore, Josh Anderson, Charles Hudon, Alex Kerfoot (although NCAA players makes it murky). are some players breaking out post 1st round.

JT Miller split his 4th year between the NHL and AHL and really broke out in his 5th season. Philip Danault didn't break out until his 6th full season and had a pretty unproductive 5th season. Beyond the 2011 1st Round, Vincent Trocheck didn't become a full time NHL until his 5th year. Ryan Dzingel, and to an extent JG Pageau.

I've probably missed a few, but every draft has some first rounders who develop late and then a couple more players scattered throughout the draft. I don't think the first round qualifier is really relevant here, every draft there are a bunch of "late bloomers", and I see no reason why Scherbak can't be one of them.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Scherbak was always a 4-5 year development project. At the time of his draft he was very raw, and played entirely with skill. He had very little structure to his game. It was expected that it would take a while to refine that skill and develop other parts of his game before being NHL ready.

The people who were quick to label him a bust were the ones who didn't understand this, and simply stat watched without actually watching him play for 2-3 seasons after his draft year. If they would have actually watched him in St. Johns, they would have seen the progress in his development and the flashes of brillince he's always shown in between injuries. He has to get bigger and stronger to become more durable yet, but his game is rounding into form.

Like I've always said since before the draft, he will be a good offensive top 6 player when he establishes himself in the NHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would keep Scherbak in Laval all year. Let him have a dominant season. No need to bring him up this year. He will be part of the top six next season

Reactions: cphabs and Habs100

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Scherbak was always a 4-5 year development project. At the time of his draft he was very raw, and played entirely with skill. He had very little structure to his game. It was expected that it would take a while to refine that skill and develop other parts of his game before being NHL ready.

The people who were quick to label him a bust were the ones who didn't understand this, and simply stat watched without actually watching him play for 2-3 seasons after his draft year. If they would have actually watched him in St. Johns, they would have seen the progress in his development and the flashes of brillince he's always shown in between injuries. He has to get bigger and stronger to become more durable yet, but his game is rounding into form.

Like I've always said since before the draft, he will be a good offensive top 6 player when he establishes himself in the NHL.

One of the things I like about his development, is the look in his eye when he was interviewed recently. He seems dedicated to becoming a better all around player and to know it will take a lot of hard work.

Reactions: NobleSix

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Exactly. Right now Julien is drooling at the idea of getting his hands on the kid and squeezing any ounce of talent out of f him.

What great options we have for his development: work with Julien or work with Lefebvre. How does Bergevin do it.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Scherbak's really bulked up since we drafted him.

I'm looking forward to seeing how big he is at camp next year after another full summer of working out.

I also look forward to seeing whether our new coach and GM will have him play be on the wing of a Galchenyuk centered line.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I would keep Scherbak in Laval all year. Let him have a dominant season. No need to bring him up this year. He will be part of the top six next season
A player like Scherbak will not get into an nhl lineup and become a top 6 player right away. Even on this so-so lineup, that means he would play ahead of Galchenyuk, Max, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, Shaw, Hudon. One will probably be traded but still. Same was said for Lehkonen. Sure top 6. 6pts in 23 games. Complete non-factor this year.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
A player like Scherbak will not get into an nhl lineup and become a top 6 player right away. Even on this so-so lineup, that means he would play ahead of Galchenyuk, Max, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, Shaw, Hudon. One will probably be traded but still. Same was said for Lehkonen. Sure top 6. 6pts in 23 games. Complete non-factor this year.

Scherbak's potential is unknown. Realistic high hopes are that he's Andrei Kostitsyn at his best, but on a consistent basis. He could also be better than that. He could be worse.

The most important thing is that he's given time to develop. I wouldn't mind seeing him spend the entire season NEXT season in the AHL, then let him come to the NHL when he's had more seasoning. I have high hopes for him, not expectations yet, but very high hopes. He has the raw talent.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Are you saying Lekhonen has been a complete non factor this year ? Pretty far from the truth.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Very little chance he has the upside of Galchenyuk, IMO. Second line winger seems like a reasonable hope for him.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Some people are really trying to convince us Scherbak will not be good because he's not in the NHL at 21. Yeah he's 22 but he turned 22 like yesterday or something.

I think some people have some trouble making the difference between elite players and skilled players who are not elite players. Scherbak will never be an elite player but he could be a serviceable top 6 25/50 winger with a better size than the one we have right now. It would actually help us as i personally think the size of our wingers is a problem right now.

Reactions: ottawa

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Some people are really trying to convince us Scherbak will not be good because he's not in the NHL at 21. Yeah he's 22 but he turned 22 like yesterday or something.

I think some people have some trouble making the difference between elite players and skilled players who are not elite players. Scherbak will never be an elite player but he could be a serviceable top 6 25/50 winger with a better size than the one we have right now. It would actually help us as i personally think the size of our wingers is a problem right now.
I think it's been so long since we've had a convincing top-6 forward prospect that certain people forgot how development works. Nikita this year vs Nikita last year is day and night. He's improved on almost everything and that comes with maturity. Do I think he'd produce right now in the NHL? Hell yes, but I want to make sure his game is polished in all three zones and that his confidence is at an all-time high before doing so.

Another thing, and this is all on management, is that they have to put him in a position to succeed. If you want to develop a top 6 player who is over PPG in the AHL, then put him with similarly skilled forwards. Not on the fourth with scrubs. We've done this way to often and it really is ironic that guys like Gallagher or Max succeeded in the top 6 because they were left there for years to develop their games.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Very little chance he has the upside of Galchenyuk, IMO. Second line winger seems like a reasonable hope for him.

I won't say out right he can be better but i really believe his game projects better in the pros than Galchenyuk.

Big reason's skating. Scherbak can fly. If Scherbak continues to fill out he'll also be bigger.

Scherbak's a much better passer. Galch came advertised as a playmaker and he can make the odd nice pass but Scherbak's really impressive in this regard.

Galch has a better release on his shot I actually think Scherbak's shot is close. NS has been using it more of late. If he can continue to gain some confidence with it then he's got the skill to be a pretty good goal scorer.

Raw tool wise...I'd argue for Scherbak. The big thing is the skating which Scherbak has a pretty significant edge. No guarantee that he can even be an NHLer but I like his ceiling A LOT.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
6 points in 23 games kinda says it all

aren't most of those games with Pleks though? lol Only Gallagher can produce with Pleks because he's amazing.

From what I've heard and seen he's played well despite lack of production.

He just works too hard, has too evil a shot and too good of offensive instincts to not be a solid producer in the NHL.

The only worries were his size and skating which have been non issues. Bit of a sophmore slump mixed, with bad luck and playing with a C who's more or less done. Still a big believer in this kid.

He and Hudon are reasons why I think the immediate future isn't as bad as some think. Bit more confident in Lehkonen but I think these guys can be much better and give us more offensive depth. We just need real Centers.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
aren't most of those games with Pleks though? lol Only Gallagher can produce with Pleks because he's amazing.

From what I've heard and seen he's played well despite lack of production.

He just works too hard, has too evil a shot and too good of offensive instincts to not be a solid producer in the NHL.

The only worries were his size and skating which have been non issues. Bit of a sophmore slump mixed, with bad luck and playing with a C who's more or less done. Still a big believer in this kid.

He and Hudon are reasons why I think the immediate future isn't as bad as some think. Bit more confident in Lehkonen but I think these guys can be much better and give us more offensive depth. We just need real Centers.

Add to that young and promising players like Drouin, Galchenyuk, and Scherbak, and the Habs have some real interesting pieces for the offense for years to come.

Lehkonen was also not producing much in the first half of last season. He mostly took off in the second half and into the playoffs (he, Radulov, and Gallagher were the only forwards on the Habs that played great). So maybe Lehkonen is someone who needs some time to get going. It would be best if it's not like this every season. However, it could also be the sophomore slump he's in. He's not the first and won't be the last to go through this phase. I have a lot of confidence in Lehkonen.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
6 points in 23 games kinda says it all

Lekhonen has been one of our best forwards... Sure he's been snake bit, but you can tell he has real talent and he'll be an offensive contributor. Look at his shot percentage and shot generation, its pretty muchguaranteed top 6.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Lekhonen has been one of our best forwards... Sure he's been snake bit, but you can tell he has real talent and he'll be an offensive contributor. Look at his shot percentage and shot generation, its pretty muchguaranteed top 6.
Well I tend to disagree with this, Lehkonen has good speed, he works extremmely hard all the time, great on the forecheck and is good in all 3 zones but his offensive skills such as stickhandling, passing, vision arent top 6 at this point IMO.. I think he is a luxury third liner or borderline complementary 2nd line winger..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well I tend to disagree with this, Lehkonen has good speed, he works extremmely hard all the time, great on the forecheck and is good in all 3 zones but his offensive skills such as stickhandling, passing, vision arent top 6 at this point IMO.. I think he is a luxury third liner or borderline complementary 2nd line winger..

He scored 18 goals as a 21 year old in his rookie year... If that's not a 2nd liner I don't know anything anymore.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Add to that young and promising players like Drouin, Galchenyuk, and Scherbak, and the Habs have some real interesting pieces for the offense for years to come.

Lehkonen was also not producing much in the first half of last season. He mostly took off in the second half and into the playoffs (he, Radulov, and Gallagher were the only forwards on the Habs that played great). So maybe Lehkonen is someone who needs some time to get going. It would be best if it's not like this every season. However, it could also be the sophomore slump he's in. He's not the first and won't be the last to go through this phase. I have a lot of confidence in Lehkonen.

yeah I'm not done with Drouin. He just can't be our go to guy. Put him on the wing next to a legit #1 C and he'll excel.

Scherbak though not a game breaker or a C is definitely a guy who if he can get anywhere near his ceiling is a big net plus for us.

We got really solid guys to compliment top talent we just don't have that top talent.

Hopefully a high pick (don't put it past these bums to ruin a perfectly good tank) and 3 2nd rounders and a ton of cap space (possibly more if they trade who they should trade) and it's not THAT bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad