Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Didn't Galchenyuk start playing better last year when he started playing with Scherbak? I made the same case for playing Drouin on Galchenyuk's wing. Now we have a bunch of play makers on the team with Sherbie, Domie, Drouin but no goal scorers. :facepalm:
Lekhonen and Weber are the only players that can take a one timer on this team now. Chuck and Scherb played beautifully together, as expected.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you look at his past injuries, strength appears to be an issue. If he is going to play a 82 game schedule and gain development momentum, he needs to stay healthy. He has only one season where he has played almost a full season since turning Pro.. 3 seasons ago.

I also hope he gets the opportunity but I am skeptical with our management. They seem to think we have a legit shot at making the playoffs and they will run with mature players who are responsible. Hence, the reason why they brought back Pleky.

I am very interested to see how Drouin, Domi, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Hudon, Danault, DLR, Juulsen, Mete, Reilly play this year. We need them to keep growing.
There aren't many mature players" on this roster at forward...

I mean you have Plekanec, who I have no doubt they'll be using for 16 mins a game...but beyond that, maybe Paul Byron, Andrew Shaw?

I don't expect Max Pacioretty to be back at all.

So while I share your concerns about management/coaching staff as it relates to opportunities for younger players, I don't think they have a choice this year with the way the roster is set up.

The majority of forwards on this team heading into this year are 25 and under.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's a good point I have to say. I really did like the Scherbak and Galchenyuk combo. If Patch is back and we end up trading him at the deadline, maybe a Patch/Danault/Scherbak line would be a good one?
Hardly believe so, Paciorettt creates off the rush mostly, Scherback is good in that role too. Hed thrive with someone that cac one time it.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'd play him with Lehkonen and Peca on the 3rd line. Lot of speed, and Peca and Lehkonen are okay in their own zone and can cover for Nikita. That leave Hudon with Plekanec, with whom they played all right in the past.

Drouin was a PPG at the end of the season playing with Gallagher and Byron so I'd let them together.

Byron - Drouin - Gallagher
Domi - Danault - Armia
Lehkonen - Peca - Scherbak
Hudon - Plekanec - DesLauRiers

Reactions: smirob

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There aren't many mature players" on this roster at forward...

I mean you have Plekanec, who I have no doubt they'll be using for 16 mins a game...but beyond that, maybe Paul Byron, Andrew Shaw?

I don't expect Max Pacioretty to be back at all.

So while I share your concerns about management/coaching staff as it relates to opportunities for younger players, I don't think they have a choice this year with the way the roster is set up.

The majority of forwards on this team heading into this year are 25 and under.

Pleky, Byron, Shaw, Danault. Julien will put them in the top 6 more than we like. Those who think/want Pleky will be a 4th line center will be surprised. I agree our line-up is full of players age 25 and under but Julien is the coach. He will run with whatever players that show they can play a responsible game. So Scherbak might score a beautiful goal or set someone up but if he makes a mistake (Galchenyuk type risk move), he will be quickly on the 3rd or 4th line.

Don't matter to me honestly, I want another top 5 pick. This try for the playoffs is not working for me. Even if we make it, we lose in the 1st round.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we can try Sherbie at Center? He’s a great playmaker and likes to enter the zone with speed.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
I believe that what Scherbak need to do the most next season is to be involve and create offense every game, exactly what Hudon did last year. I don't really care about his numbers, as long as he plays to be held in the line-up constantly would be a huge gain for him and for the team. If that happens, his numbers will be there naturally, like 30-40 pts if he plays full year. Hopefully in the 50's one day!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pleky, Byron, Shaw, Danault. Julien will put them in the top 6 more than we like. Those who think/want Pleky will be a 4th line center will be surprised.
Oh I won't be surprised, I fully expect it...i'm just providing my own opinion that it shouldn't be that way.

I agree our line-up is full of players age 25 and under but Julien is the coach. He will run with whatever players that show they can play a responsible game. So Scherbak might score a beautiful goal or set someone up but if he makes a mistake (Galchenyuk type risk move), he will be quickly on the 3rd or 4th line.
Or rather...he'll run with whatever players have attained the magical 'veteran' status which enables them to play horribly and make the same repeated mistakes without consequences.

Yes

Don't matter to me honestly, I want another top 5 pick. This try for the playoffs is not working for me. Even if we make it, we lose in the 1st round.
Matters to me because next year, of all years, is the year we should be turning our roster over...not playing more retread veterans into the ground.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh I won't be surprised, I fully expect it...i'm just providing my own opinion that it shouldn't be that way.

Or rather...he'll run with whatever players have attained the magical 'veteran' status which enables them to play horribly and make the same repeated mistakes without consequences.

Yes

Matters to me because next year, of all years, is the year we should be turning our roster over...not playing more retread veterans into the ground.

Something tells me our management is due for another humbling season. They focused on pour attitude this off season as reasons for our bad season and I really do think they are trying to make the playoffs where "anything can happen". They should of took the more conservative approach this off season with there communication to the fan base and said we are going to go with a youth movement with a small mix of veteran presence. I just wonder how much Bergevin and Julien are on same page today and how this changes as time moves forward. Both have 4 years left in their contracts I believe. It's stupid with setting too much expectations on this next season. A lot of their communication to fans should be a youth movement and testing them with opportunity. Opportunity being a long span of games, not one game and then demoted.

Not expecting much and my personal focus as a Habs fan is how the kids perform. This is what matters at this stage of our team make-up. I also would like to see Price limit the soft goals allowed. This drives me nuts!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Something tells me our management is due for another humbling season. They focused on pour attitude this off season as reasons for our bad season and I really do think they are trying to make the playoffs where "anything can happen". They should of took the more conservative approach this off season with there communication to the fan base and said we are going to go with a youth movement with a small mix of veteran presence. I just wonder how much Bergevin and Julien are on same page today and how this changes as time moves forward. Both have 4 years left in their contracts I believe. It's stupid with setting too much expectations on this next season. A lot of their communication to fans should be a youth movement and testing them with opportunity.
Well look at how the roster is composed heading into this year...sure seems like they're going with a youth movement & a small mix of veteran presence.

I don't need them to verbalize it, I can read the tea leaves. I actually think they've done a good job of setting realistic expectations heading into this year, I mean, saying the playoffs is a goal isn't wrong, you do want to set a standard for your organization, even if the talent on paper, states otherwise. You don't create the optics that losing is acceptable, I don't think you ever do that, regardless of expectations.

Then again, were likely to see Plekanec be our most used C again this year...so....who the F knows.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well look at how the roster is composed heading into this year...sure seems like they're going with a youth movement & a small mix of veteran presence.

I don't need them to verbalize it, I can read the tea leaves. I actually think they've done a good job of setting realistic expectations heading into this year, I mean, saying the playoffs is a goal isn't wrong, you do want to set a standard for your organization, even if the talent on paper, states otherwise. You don't create the optics that losing is acceptable, I don't think you ever do that, regardless of expectations.

Then again, were likely to see Plekanec be our most used C again this year...so....who the F knows.

I understand that you don't advertise a losing season and you keep this to yourself. However, I just wonder what Julien wants to do vs Bergevin/Molson. I really do think they are not as much focused on the future as much as we try to justify they are behind the scenes. Not trying Galchenyuk at center and only giving opportunity to DLR after Pleky was traded are two big examples. Heck, I would of even played Fucale a few games to give him some NHL games before we moved on from him. Might of meant a few more loses and we get Dahlin and we get to see what Fucale can do with a NHL roster vs a depleted AHL roster. What did we have to lose with experimentation?

Not sure Julien is the right coach for us moving forward. This next season will be interesting. Will there be a bit of rebound or will it be another bottom 5 finish? I think Julien is going to play vets whenever he can. Weber, Byron, Shaw not ready to start the season is a good thing as it forces his hand.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I understand that you don't advertise a losing season and you keep this to yourself. However, I just wonder what Julien wants to do vs Bergevin/Molson. I really do think they are not as much focused on the future as much as we try to justify they are behind the scenes. Not trying Galchenyuk at center and only giving opportunity to DLR after Pleky was traded are two big examples. Heck, I would of even played Fucale a few games to give him some NHL games before we moved on from him. Might of meant a few more loses and we get Dahlin and we get to see what Fucale can do with a NHL roster vs a depleted AHL roster. What did we have to lose with experimentation?

Not sure Julien is the right coach for us moving forward. This next season will be interesting. Will there be a bit of rebound or will it be another bottom 5 finish? I think Julien is going to play vets whenever he can. Weber, Byron, Shaw not ready to start the season is a good thing as it forces his hand.
Oh I fully expect this team to shoot for a 10th place Eastern Conference finish

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Yeah, CJ could draw the hate real fast next season.

If you assume Price gets back to form, Patches gets traded, even with some young guys putting up better numbers ( outside of someone showing they are top line ), we are going to have an anemic offense. Can you imagine if we are unable to score ( expect the expected ) and CJ has a guy like Scherbak on the 4th line or Young Skill Forward X with Plekanec ? People will lose what is left of their minds. Especially if Chucky shows he is even a just passable 2C. Then it will be open season on CJ decision making.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, CJ could draw the hate real fast next season.

If you assume Price gets back to form, Patches gets traded, even with some young guys putting up better numbers ( outside of someone showing they are top line ), we are going to have an anemic offense. Can you imagine if we are unable to score ( expect the expected ) and CJ has a guy like Scherbak on the 4th line or Young Skill Forward X with Plekanec ? People will lose what is left of their minds. Especially if Chucky shows he is even a just passable 2C. Then it will be open season on CJ decision making.

I'm prepared for anything but my patience level is higher than others. Our last two coaches were former Habs brought back. It's time for a new young coach with fresh ideas. Lets just hope we don't lose Ducharme cause we hold onto Julien for too long.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Do you think Scherbak is more comfortable as a LW or RW?

Many coaches prefer wingers to be on their strong side, but we will likely have at least one guy play on their off wing.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He can play both but clearly wants to play RW. I agree.

Has he come out and said that? Just curious. I see him as a RW also, just wondering what the options are. I watched quite a bit in the AHL, but can't remember if he also played LW... I do remember watching him play a bit of C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Has he come out and said that? Just curious. I see him as a RW also, just wondering what the options are. I watched quite a bit in the AHL, but can't remember if he also played LW... I do remember watching him play a bit of C.

Not that I know of. I think at this stage he will play either wing cause he wants ice time. I just think he played RW most of his career so I'm guessing if he had the choice, he would play RW.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Good article with Scherbak on Habs' website. He stuck around Montreal this year instead of heading back to Russia. He says he's working on his skating and his lower body strength to help him with board battles and in front of the net.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I believe he has the raw talent and high upside to be a top 6 winger and play driver. I hope Julian will understand this and give him an opportunity and let him grow. AHL numbers are fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad