Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Adam Michaels, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vachon23

Vachon23 Registered User

Pacioretty was close to 70 pts tho but yes I understand your point

cphabs likes this.
  2. the

the Registered User

My mistake didn’t read your post properly, I thought you meant Scherbak was KHL bound because he’s a 4th liner.

Sorry

Vachon23 likes this.
  3. King In Glory

King In Glory Getting Schwifty

He's reached 70 once but he was so fast and defensively skilled , I think he would flourish even more in today's NHL(in his prime obviously).

VAN-HAB likes this.
  4. Bacchus1

Bacchus1 Registered User

PK had 60, and he is a D. I find arbitrary point totals useless. I mean, how many points did prize score when he won the Vezna?

It would be nice to draft and develop numerous 7o point players, but the reality is that 33 that fit that description last season, and most of them were picked top 10 of their draft year. Since 2005 we have picked top 10 3 times: Price, Chucky, Kotkaniemi. One was great, one partied out, and one is too early to tell.

Montreal is not a team that can consistently lose to get high draft picks. Fans demand a competitive team every year.

5. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    Fans will come around if the strategy and team build is in a positive direction. Leafs went through 10+ years of misery before they came to their senses and was willing to do a proper rebuild. Habs will go down this road if we are in denial or are not willing to do what it takes to turn our team into a contender. One way or another, it will be forced on us. Better to accept it now vs later IMO. We have certain player we can use to accelerate the rebuild too

PKCowboysOwn and Agalloch like this.
  6. Agalloch

Agalloch EliteProspects

Home Page:
    This is the road to take but for that we need to change our scouting department....

TooLegitToQuit likes this.
  7. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I'm not sure how good or bad our scouting department are. I don't think we are terrible but we are certainly not a top 10 drafting team in the league, that's for sure. I do think we have done very well in the last two drafts though. Time will tell what kind of impact players the cream of the crop are in the future (Poehling, Brook, Primeau, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Romanov, Ylonen, Olofsson). That's 8 very good prospects IMO. Then who knows what the other picks do in development over the next 2 or 3 years once they turn Pro and show us what they can do with less time and space.

I think the key is we need to squash the Middle of the Pack Strategy, Rebound, Pride attempts. Add 2 or 3 more grade A prospects in the right areas of need and this team can be a contender before Price hits 35 and before Weber hit's 36/37.

We are on a critical path at the moment. Top 10-20 pick or a top 5 pick? Very curious to see who is available and what pick we end up getting.

8. Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich Registered User

Home Page:
    I understand your point. But there comes a time when a player needs to make the team. You can't really create a false environment where Scherbak is better than Chaput even though he isn't. Anyway, I don't think it'll end up being a big deal with Scherbak, he's never really done that well.

As for wanting the draft picks to be better - I definitely like the way the drafting has trended better since Bergevin has taken over. He continues to tinker with the scouting - I think they are building a really strong development team. Definitely 2008-2011 was quite bad in terms of drafting with really only Gallagher and Beaulieu having NHL success. We will see how things go moving forward, but Scherbak not developing as hoped does not make me worried in the larger scheme of things. 2013 was quite a good draft for the Habs - 2014 looks worse for sure but there's still some hope it will yield some fruit.

9. Bacchus1

Bacchus1 Registered User

We didn’t sell out for the first time in about a decade last year, and it started a chain of non-sell outs.

We had so much anger and frustration in the press, until people just started not caring.

I think that most people in MTL, smart or not, would prefer a competitive team that makes the playoffs, than a team that sucks for 5 years, and then might be competitive.

You need to more that be really bad to snag a generational player. You need luck and to win the lottery.

10. admiralcadillac

admiralcadillac Registered User

Hope he does well in LA

montreal, Kaperi Spacey and dralaf like this.
  11. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    If you don't try for the lottery win, you will 100% not win.

I understand what the general fan wants. But if I was driving the ship, I'm steering in the youth movement direction and I ignore the fans who get upset over a rebuild cause they will come around when the rebuild starts showing promise. Heck, we are already half way towards the rebuild anyways. Why not use some of the assets we have to accelerate the youth movement.

Time to try a different strategy. We have been doing this "try to make the playoffs where anything can happen plan" for a while now.

12. Bacchus1

Bacchus1 Registered User

I agree that your strategy might work, but you are focused on having an excellent team.

Some people in the organization also want an excellent business. If people come to the games, and they make money, versus re build for 5 years and lose money, then they might chose the former.

There are also people trying to keep their jobs who might see more value in being competitive, including some players. I’m sure there are no players on the team who want to lose for 5 years to maybe build a contender.

You could trade everyone away for picks, fill you roster with AHL journeymen, and build slowly keeping your prospects in the minors for as long as you can. BUT, .... the team loses A LOT of money.

If it happens by accident, or if your attendace sucks anyway, it would be easier. But, in Montreal, fans will demand more.

13. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I think this is the dilemma with how a lot of teams are built. Most trip and fall into prolonged rebuild years. I think we got a very good taste of how to capitalize on an asset like Patch. Byron, Tatar, Petry should be dangled to gauge interest. We can still compete and play entertaining hockey but also add more assets with what we can get in trades and picks.

I understand your point about how the Habs are not willing to rebuild. But this will happen if they continue this middle of the pack strategy. It will take time but it's likely we head down a road like the Leafs did before they came to their senses and hired Shanahan

Bacchus1 likes this.
  14. Bacchus1

Bacchus1 Registered User

I would do that too, for 1sts only, and they must have a potential to be high to medium 1sts. Not really interested in low 1sts.

15. Sorinth

Sorinth Registered User

Pacioretty came very close twice
    Plekanec hit 70 once
    Ribeiro hit 70 three times including an 83 point season
    Koivu hit 70 twice

But what's interesting to note is in the past 2 decades we have been drafting defenceman with our 1st round pick around 50% of the time. I haven't checked the league average but I have a feeling that league wide it skews heavily towards forwards.

EDIT: It was Ribeiro not Ryder. Corrected it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Bacchus1 likes this.
  16. Bacchus1

Bacchus1 Registered User

And a goalie with our 5th overall.

17. zzoo

zzoo Registered User

I'm a bit sad to see Scherbak gone. He deserves a chance here before waiving him.

18. greyboy67

greyboy67 Registered User

The Athletic spoke with Scherbak on his move to LA: Coming to Los Angeles a 'dream' for Kings waiver pickup Nikita Scherbak (Paywall)

In summary, Scherbak loves Los Angeles and is excited by the move. He's also thrilled to be on the same team as his idol, Ilya Kovalchuk—a player Nikita wants to emulate.

The Kings activated Scherbak before the Tuesday game with the Coyotes but he did not play.

Scherbak on what happened in Montreal:

I have a lot of thoughts maybe why or what happened,” Scherbak said. “I’m never going to know exactly what was the main reason why. Everybody was nice. I’m never going to complain. They treat me well.

But I guess I wasn’t in their plans for the future. I think they just moved on, on me. Just things didn’t go well. I’m not exactly sure why exactly I wasn’t playing and why I wasn’t making the lineup.

It’s a fresh start – a completely fresh start – and I’m excited because I have so many people to prove wrong again.

Bon chance, Nikita!

26Mats, dralaf and groovejuice like this.
  19. sheed36

sheed36 Registered User

You must be thinking of someone else since Michael Ryder never hit 70 points even once in his NHL career. Ryder's career high was 63 points which he had in his first season with the Habs. He had another season of 62 points with the Stars and 3 50+ point seasons in the NHL with the Habs and B's.

20. Rockomax

Rockomax Registered User

He's thinking Ribeiro

sheed36 likes this.
  21. Sorinth

Sorinth Registered User

Sorry your right, it was Ribeiro who went on to hit 70+ three times with Dallas.

cphabs and sheed36 like this.
  22. Sorinth

Sorinth Registered User

If true the part I bolded is disturbing. If a player doesn't know what the coach wants from them they're almost guaranteed to fail with that coach. It's reminiscent of the lack of communication we had with Therrien and is always bad to see. When guys are sitting they it's imperative for them to know what they have to focus on.

23. Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels Registered User

Scherbak speaking for the first time as a member of the Kings. Kid is charming, if nothing else.

Habs Icing and Kaperi Spacey like this.
  24. Archijerej

Archijerej Registered User

You can hardly expect him to enumerate the grievances coaching staff had about him. It's pretty obvious what those were and they don't put a good light on Scherbak as a hockey player. But it always has to be on the coaches I guess.

25. Sorinth

Sorinth Registered User

Which is why I said if true. It's quite possible he knows what he needed to do and just didn't want to bring it out. But we've seen in the past cases where the player doesn't seem to really know what the coach wants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.