Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Good riddance, hes just a god awful player.

Only reason it took so long to waive him is because MB was holding out to get an offer and no one did (especially after his conditioning stint), thats how good he is.

How many failed 1st/early 2nd round picks is that under this scouting staff? We still have scouts from the Tinordi and Collberg days too..

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They must be sure that he will not make it.

They were right with Beaulieu & Ghetto to some degree. Lets see if they are with DLR and Scherbak. Very disappointing that these kids struggled to reach their ceiling while with the Habs.

He's doing well in Laval -- any reason he couldn't remain there at this point?

I'd say he is doing OK. But for a 23 year old who is in his 4th year as a pro, you would expect him to be closer to a pt/game level. Let him play AHL all year. If he continues this production, I doubt he gets a NHL contract next year. Some team will offer him a AHL contract though.

McCarron will be next.

They just won't offer him a contract next year. He's going to get a AHL contract offer from somebody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doesn't matter. None of those players are unique in any regard, and if you lose one of them, you can probably find another half dozen in Laval, or you can pick up a similar guy for literally scraps.

Agreed. We should of waived the other 4th line depth and gave Scherbak a few games.

But wait, this is a pride/rebound year man. Habs don't have time to let prospects learn on the job with our middle of the pack strategy where we want to make the playoffs where "anything can happen"

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Agreed. We should of waived the other 4th line depth and gave Scherbak a few games.

But wait, this is a pride/rebound year man. Habs don't have time to let prospects learn on the job with our middle of the pack strategy where we want to make the playoffs where "anything can happen"

Whole situation is more than just 'Scherbak failed' or anything, it's the shadow that lurks around and inside the team that is problematic, and has been for a while.

We can try to point fingers at the kids themselves for their failures, or at the organization for drafting them and failing to develop them, in the end, how many more do we need ?

I'm hopeful for the next 'batch' of prospects, but I was with the 12-13 too.

In the end, it's the mentality, the concept that supports everything that's going on that is failing, hard.

And has been for far too long.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
We'll see how he does in LA - I like this move by Bergevin. He's learning to let guys who don't hack it go. Scherbak looked better last year for stretches, but he certainly didn't make the team out of camp this year. If he doesn't learn to consistently play a 200 foot game I think he will always be of limited use.

They were right with Beaulieu & Ghetto to some degree. Lets see if they are with DLR and Scherbak. Very disappointing that these kids struggled to reach their ceiling while with the Habs.

I think DLR will be a fringe NHLer for a while. Scherbak I'm less confident in his ability to remain in a team's lineup.

Reactions: Vachon23 and Deebs

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
We'll see how he does in LA - I like this move by Bergevin. He's learning to let guys who don't hack it go. Scherbak looked better last year for stretches, but he certainly didn't make the team out of camp this year. If he doesn't learn to consistently play a 200 foot game I think he will always be of limited use.

Who's the last prospect that we 'gave' away for nothing that went to have a good career elsewhere ?

I think Scherbak is done. Willie Desjardins will eat him alive.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I would have liked this move better at the draft table, with Bergevin, who is supposedly so well-versed in scouting and his minions, agreeing at that time, that the player has too many flaws or doesn't possess the minimum attributes the Habs are looking for. There were certainly signs early on what this player is about. He didn't like to train, he never played a 200 foot game. What is of limited use is whoever recommended the player to begin with.

They didn't like anyone else in that draft range? Then, pay to move up or trade the pick for an asset or another draft year but don't settle for a too heavily flawed player.

Up to the Habs to do their homework and tighten up their interview and evaluative process -- they need to learn from this. You can't go on squandering first round picks, even those in the third tier of the first round -- there is still a high enough ratio at that point, for the player to make it to the NHL.

Or maybe, there is nothing to learn. Maybe some of the scouting staff needs to be audited and replaced.

There is absolutely nothing to like from this move. A first round asset was lost for nothing. This is not a viable strategy for any club.

Reactions: groovejuice

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I would have liked this move better at the draft table, with Bergevin, who is supposedly so well-versed in scouting and his minions, agreeing at that time, that the player has too many flaws or doesn't possess the minimum attributes the Habs are looking for. There were certainly signs early on what this player is about. He didn't like to train, he never played a 200 foot game. What is of limited use is whoever recommended the player to begin with.

They didn't like anyone else in that draft range? Then, pay to move up or trade the pick for an asset or another draft year but don't settle for a too heavily flawed player.

Up to the Habs to do their homework and tighten up their interview and evaluative process -- they need to learn from this. You can't go on squandering first round picks, even those in the third tier of the first round -- there is still a high enough ratio at that point, for the player to make it to the NHL.

Or maybe, there is nothing to learn. Maybe some of the scouting staff needs to be audited and replaced.

There is absolutely nothing to like from this move. A first round asset was lost for nothing. This is not a viable strategy for any club.

The management and scouting continue to learn but they will never be perfect. This is a good move in an imperfect world.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The management and scouting continue to learn but they will never be perfect. This is a good move in an imperfect world.

It's a heavily-flawed world that keeps burning out opportunities to acquire assets that have the best chance of succeeding. You are supposed to have the least margin of error with your first round pick, the stats bear it out. The Habs have missed the mark far too many times. Not to mention a second rounder like JDLR, another young player lost for nothing. It's unacceptable.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It's a heavily-flawed world that keeps burning out opportunities to acquire assets that have the best chance of succeeding. You are supposed to have the least margin of error with your first round pick, the stats bear it out. The Habs have missed the mark far too many times. Not to mention a second rounder like JDLR, another young player lost for nothing. It's unacceptable.

I disagree. Prospects disappoint all the time. It's not ideal but it's reality. Juulsen looks good. I feel the Habs future is looking brighter. Too bad about Scherbak, but now he's gone. Time to look to the future.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

The problem is not losing these players (DLR and Scherbak) is to have drafted them in the first place.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think DLR will be a fringe NHLer for a while. Scherbak I'm less confident in his ability to remain in a team's lineup.

What do Kenny Agostino, Michael Chaput, Matthew Peca and Dlo project as? Top 6 players?

None of them apparently could be waived in favor of keeping Scherbak. Third and fourth liners average skill guys who are mostly available across the league, get the nod over a player that was in his early twenties and had scoring ability.

I disagree. Prospects disappoint all the time. It's not ideal but it's reality. Juulsen looks good. I feel the Habs future is looking brighter. Too bad about Scherbak, but now he's gone. Time to look to the future.

I respectfully disagree. It's the job of the drafting experts to at least get the percentages on their side. They have failed at several first round selections over between 2009 and 2014 -- this is the bread and butter of an organization, you can't afford to get too many of these selections wrong. And you don't cut bait with a young skilled player in favor of journeymen, retreads, AHLers and other assorted third and fourth liners who are older and are easily replaceable.

The problem is not losing these players (DLR and Scherbak) is to have drafted them in the first place.

I've said as much. However, once they are in the organization, what could the org. have done to minimize its losses?

There was a point in time between when they were drafted and this season, where their value was more than the interest those players garnered this season.

There was a flaw with how amateur scouting processed and evaluated the players.

Then there was a major flaw in management not having acted in a timely manner to cut bait with these players to at least recoup as much value as they could rather than lose them for nothing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

It's fine to draft a flawed player, and it's true that Scherbak had some flaws, though not sure why you're accusing him of not training, he seems in good health, from the pictures I've seen and his play on the ice. Defensive flaws, sure. What they had on their hands is a skilled package of a player, no matter what you think of the actual player, I'm not sure anyone can disagree with this. Scherbak had potential when he was drafted, of all the agencies, scouts and lists out there, he did not rank lower than 27. He was bad at the start of the 2013-2014 season defensively and he was not physical at all, but he made good strides there, while playing top minutes for the Blades. Why didn't they realize what they had on their hands ? Why do they keep trying to make players something theyre not ? Why is the Habs the only team (Or one of the only) that treats every player equal ? Theres a whole blue collar, earn it attitude around this team and it's just stupid. The media loves it too, RDS and TVA would rather see a team full of Danault than a team full of Domi. It's crazy how bad it's got. A franchise that used to praise players such as Roy, Robinson, Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Geoffrion is now praising the Danaults and Gorges of this world.

Just imagine if Scotty Bowman decided to jam Lafleur on the fourth line for his two first seasons instead of on the opposing wing of Shutt ?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It's fine to draft a flawed player, and it's true that Scherbak had some flaws, though not sure why you're accusing him of not training, he seems in good health, from the pictures I've seen and his play on the ice. Defensive flaws, sure. What they had on their hands is a skilled package of a player, no matter what you think of the actual player, I'm not sure anyone can disagree with this. Scherbak had potential when he was drafted, of all the agencies, scouts and lists out there, he did not rank lower than 27. He was bad at the start of the 2013-2014 season defensively and he was not physical at all, but he made good strides there, while playing top minutes for the Blades. Why didn't they realize what they had on their hands ? Why do they keep trying to make players something theyre not ? Why is the Habs the only team (Or one of the only) that treats every player equal ? Theres a whole blue collar, earn it attitude around this team and it's just stupid. The media loves it too, RDS and TVA would rather see a team full of Danault than a team full of Domi. It's crazy how bad it's got. A franchise that used to praise players such as Roy, Robinson, Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Geoffrion is now praising the Danaults and Gorges of this world.

Just imagine if Scotty Bowman decided to jam Lafleur on the fourth line for his two first seasons instead of on the opposing wing of Shutt ?

Your really comparing Lafleur and Scherbeurk ?

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I've said as much. However, once they are in the organization, what could the org. have done to minimize its losses?

There was a point in time between when they were drafted and this season, where their value was more than the interest those players garnered this season.

There was a flaw with how amateur scouting processed and evaluated the players.

Then there was a major flaw in management not having acted in a timely manner to cut bait with these players to at least recoup as much value as they could rather than lose them for nothing.

You draft someone because of his potential.

But it's clear that while management did like some of his talent, the coaches didn't like things in his game. Coaches are the ones deciding who's playing.

You can't force coaches to play them but the team still believe in these players at some point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin worked phones and called every single GM to see if they were interested in Scherbak. The answer he got was no. Then he said well, he sure clears waivers in this case but bam, he is taken by the Kings. Bergevin jumps out of his chair and said, I knew it! There was interest for him! haha

malton

Feb 17, 2009
You should never let a potential top 6 forward go in favour of keeping everyday 4th liners that are a dime a dozen. Terrible asset management.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You should never let a potential top 6 forward go in favour of keeping everyday 4th liners that are a dime a dozen. Terrible asset management.
Um. How long has this guy been a potential top six forward? How many full seasons has he even played? Sorry but you have to move on at some point. Scherbak wasn’t really pushing anyone out of the lineup, nor has he been healthy long enough to figure out if he was nhl material.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
If Scherbak has no potential at 22 then what makes you think Chaput, Deslauriers or Agostino at 26, 27 and 26 respectively have any. Considering they have all produced next to nothing at the pro level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad