Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
This kid is dirty. Hes money on the half wall and his passing is accurate and precise. He was hitting cross ice passes and receiving them like it's nothing. Kids lanky body and weird stride make him deceptive as hell. Definitely needs to work on his core strength but man the kids got some magic hands and can really dish the puck. If given the chance I fully expect him to take over that powerplay half wall eventually. I think he has more offensive potential than drouin but not sure how his skating at even strength will hold up going forward

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This kid is dirty. Hes money on the half wall and his passing is accurate and precise. He was hitting cross ice passes and receiving them like it's nothing. Kids lanky body and weird stride make him deceptive as hell. Definitely needs to work on his core strength but man the kids got some magic hands and can really dish the puck. If given the chance I fully expect him to take over that powerplay half wall eventually. I think he has more offensive potential than drouin but not sure how his skating at even strength will hold up going forward

Heard an interview with Deslauriers this week. He's been skating and playing in informal leagues with Scherbak this summer. Says he's bigger and faster after training hard this summer. Teammates will always say positive things about each other publicly. But if true, this is good news.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

As for the pp, I've been wondering who would take Galchenyuk's spot on the right halfwall for the one timer. I would move Drouin over to Glahcenyuk's spot (since he can shoot the puck and would still be able to make good passes from the right half wall) and put Scherbak where Drouin was.

Pacioertty Gallagher Drouin
Scherbak Petry

With Pacioretty in the high slot, Gallagher in front of the net, Drouin on the right half wall, Scherbak on the left half wall, and Petry up top.

But Muller won't do this probably. Last year it took him half a year to put Pacioretty in the high slot, Gallagher in front of the net, Galchenyuk on the right half wall, Drouin on the left half wall, and Petry/Weber up top, when most of us were calling for it from day 1. When he finally did we literally had the best pp in the league. But losing Galchenyuk hurts.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
As for the pp, I've been wondering who would take Galchenyuk's spot on the right halfwall for the one timer. I would move Drouin over to Glahcenyuk's spot (since he can shoot the puck and would still be able to make good passes from the right half wall) and put Scherbak where Drouin was.

Scherbak Petry

With Pacioretty in the high slot, Gallagher in front of the net, Drouin on the right half wall, Scherbak on the left half wall, and Petry up top.

But Muller won't do this probably. Last year it took him half a year to put Pacioretty in the high slot, Gallagher in front of the net, Galchenyuk on the right half wall, Drouin on the left half wall, and Petry/Weber up top, when most of us were calling for it from day 1. When he finally did we literally had the best pp in the league. But losing Galchenyuk hurts.

Lehkonen likes to shoot from his off wing. Lots of Europeans do actually, but for defensive purposes especially that is not too popular in the NHL.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Lehkonen likes to shoot from his off wing. Lots of Europeans do actually, but for defensive purposes especially that is not too popular in the NHL.
Shooting from the off wing is one of the most lethal ways to score goals/create offence. The goalie is never really sure if a shot or pass is on the way, the way the body is angled in a off wing position is so tough to defend against. There have been some great players that did this in the history of the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

How good is Scherbak's one-timer? How good is his snap shot? Anyone know. Every goal I've see him score has been from in close.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Scherbak Petry

Drouin is better on the left side...it seemed like he scored everyone of his 13 goals shooting from the left point/half wall on the PP last year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Drouin is better on the left side...it seemed like he scored everyone of his 13 goals shooting from the left point/half wall on the PP last year.

True, but how do we know he won't do that or better from the right side, where he has an even better shooting angle?

I do see your point though, if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the other hand, remember when Tiger was on top of the golf world and still reconstructed his whole swing? Drouin may be even more effective on the right side.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
True, but how do we know he won't do that or better from the right side, where he has an even better shooting angle?

I do see your point though, if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the other hand, remember when Tiger was on top of the golf world and still reconstructed his whole swing? Drouin may be even more effective on the right side.
Well that's where he was early in the season when Weber was still playing, they had them playing opposites on the point so that Drouin could feed him one-timers.

Things didn't really work for him there.

But you're also right, perhaps he can adjust there, but I just think he's really good on the left point/left half wall...

Reactions: 26Mats

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Scherbak Petry

I would like to see Hudon in Galchenyuk's old spot, he's got good patience with the puck on his stick and has a good shot.

Scherbak - Gallagher - Hudon
Drouin - Petry

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would like to see Hudon in Galchenyuk's old spot, he's got good patience with the puck on his stick and has a good shot.

Drouin - Petry

Yeah Hudon is good on the pp. And, as you wrote, Pacioretty probably won't be there.

But Scherbak and Drouin on the same side? I'd rather see them on opposite sides. Would be quite a threat to have two players capable of making pinpoint cross ice passes on either side.

But if Drouin isn't as good on the right as he was on the left, he's gotta be on the left.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Drouin - Petry
If Drouin is going to play left point...then it's better to have a left handed Dman playing the opposite point to keep the one-timer option open.

Might be an opportunity for Reilly to be there

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Yeah Hudon is good on the pp. And, as you wrote, Pacioretty probably won't be there.

But Scherbak and Drouin on the same side? I'd rather see them on opposite sides. Would be quite a threat to have two players capable of making pinpoint cross ice passes on either side.

It all depends on how they set up the powerplay, if there is lots of movement it could work (ie Petry and Drouin rotating sides of the point during the PP for one-timers). However, if our PP is like the start of the year where Pacioretty sat on the half boards and Weber sat at the point waiting for passes it wouldn't work.

With Julien as coach I'll just be happy if Scherbak plays a regular shift and gets any PP time to be honest lol.

Reactions: Chr1s97 and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It all depends on how they set up the powerplay, if there is lots of movement it could work (ie Petry and Drouin rotating sides of the point during the PP for one-timers). However, if our PP is like the start of the year where Pacioretty sat on the half boards and Weber sat at the point waiting for passes it wouldn't work.

With Julien as coach I'll just be happy if Scherbak plays a regular shift and gets any PP time to be honest lol.

Absolutely. Scherbak's prowess on the 2nd unit of the pp may keep him in the lineup. Although Max Domi may get the role Scherbak has on the 2nd unit. We'll see.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

And 5 on 5, Scherbak is definitely in my top 6 even if Pacioretty isn't traded and better be if he is:

Pacioretty Danault Domi
Scherbak Drouin Gallagher
Hudon Pleks Lehkonen
Armia Byron/De la Rose Byron/Deslauriers
Shaw, DLR/Deslauriers

Who is better than Scherbak and should be in the top 6?

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Drouin is elite on the half wall on the left side, but Scherbak can be almost as good, as he's shown in the AHL/2nd PP unit. The only way the Habs can have a top 5 PP is with him on the 1st wave. It doesn't matter who plays left/right.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
How good is Scherbak's one-timer? How good is his snap shot? Anyone know. Every goal I've see him score has been from in close.

His snap shot and wrister are lethal. Really nice release. I have no idea about the one timer I haven't watched enough of him in the A. He's got that prototypical Russian snapper wrister tho accurate and heavy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
His snap shot and wrister are lethal. Really nice release. I have no idea about the one timer I haven't watched enough of him in the A. He's got that prototypical Russian snapper wrister tho accurate and heavy

Maybe Scherbak will get Galchenyuk's spot on the pp. Could do wonders for his stats and confidence if he's able to fill the role.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Shooting from the off wing is one of the most lethal ways to score goals/create offence. The goalie is never really sure if a shot or pass is on the way, the way the body is angled in a off wing position is so tough to defend against. There have been some great players that did this in the history of the NHL.

You mean like Kovalev ?

I certainly agree. The goalie is at a disadvantage as the net becomes bigger for the shooter.

Coaches though who are really into the defensive side of things I think don't like it too much because defensively you are at a bit of a disadvantage.

Personally I am good to go with it, I like offense.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

They'll need to figure out something because it appears that Drouin, Domi, and Scherbak are all better in the same spot... Left circle.

Reactions: Chr1s97

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You mean like Kovalev ?

I certainly agree. The goalie is at a disadvantage as the net becomes bigger for the shooter.

Coaches though who are really into the defensive side of things I think don't like it too much because defensively you are at a bit of a disadvantage.

Personally I am good to go with it, I like offense.

I actually wanted to reference Kovalev in my post but I thought it might be a tad unfair to Scherbak, he certainly was one of the greatest to circle from the half wall and unleash a wicked snap/wrister and was every bit as dynamic in his ability to make a beautiful pass from there as well. Protecting the puck in the offensive zone is also easier when one is on the off wing and the ability to drive wide if you will and distract the defenders attention is also something that helps out on offence. Goalies are so adept at covering angles I often wonder why teams do not try players on the off wing more often.

Galchenyuk was also great at this and if I was his coach in Montreal and I did not play him at center I would have him on the right side(his off wing) because of his wicked shot and the extra opportunity that being there would present.

Reactions: yianik

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They'll need to figure out something because it appears that Drouin, Domi, and Scherbak are all better in the same spot... Left circle.

My solution is: Drouin on the right side, Scherbak on the left, and Domi on the left on the 2nd unit.

It's what I would start out with and make adjustments according to results:

pp1
Pacioretty Gallagher Drouin
Scherbak Petry

pp2
Domi Lehkonen Hudon
Reilly Mete/Juulsen

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
My solution is: Drouin on the right side, Scherbak on the left, and Domi on the left on the 2nd unit.

It's what I would start out with and make adjustments according to results:

pp1
Pacioretty Gallagher Drouin
Scherbak Petry

pp2
Domi Lehkonen Hudon
Reilly Mete/Juulsen

Pacioretty likes to be on the right side or in the slot as he has a better angle to hit the net, but he will probably be traded.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Drouin and Sherback will not be on the same unit.

Both loves to play on the left side.

Drouin is using his natural side since Halifax and he was lethal there and he was very good as well in tampa.

It would be a mistake to use those 2 guys on the same unit even one of them would play on the right side:

Both hates to play near the net for a rebound or a deflection...so itf they play on the same unit , you will have 2 players along the boards at 35 feets from the net the entire time

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Can't wait to see him next season. I really like him. He want to work on him this summer, if Drouin and Scherbak are consistent next season, we got two amazing skilled player. Scherbak can be a 60 points player in the future, i believe in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia