Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
For some reason I always forget about him when I think about the potential lineups for this year. It's weird, since he's a former 1st round pick too.

Looking forward to see what he can do this year. Hopefully he can play quite a few minutes in the top six.
That's because he's never really been given a fair chance ;)

Reactions: Le Tricolore

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Tons of 22 years old?

Also, he played like 3 minutes on average, on the fourth line, with Byron Froese.

Who cares about defensive game, let him focus on offense.

He looked dangerous playing with offensive players. Drives the net well.

His defensive game isn't bad. I think he needs to be reliable defensively, to get ice time.

I think Domi-Drouin-Gallagher,
Pacioretty-Danault-Scherbak, Lehkonen-Plekanec-Armia

Is a good top 9. Not great. But able to outchance opponents. I think he and Hudon can alternate, push each other.

If Patches comes in to camp playing for a payout, Scherbak can be a 20 goal, 40 point player riding shotgun.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Scherback has a better PPG by something like .65 for last season, one is busting, the other is already a top 6 player.

Svechnikov is busting at 21 ? Come on...

He didn't have the best of seasons last year, but had a way better 20yo season than Scherbak did.

Nikita didn't prove anything so far in the NHL, besides flashes of brilliance, and Ducharme is -the- reason I'm hopeful in his case, he does have a clue how to work with offense-first players, unlike Julien.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He didn't have the best of seasons last year, but had a way better 20yo season than Scherbak did.

Nikita didn't prove anything so far in the NHL, besides flashes of brilliance, and Ducharme is -the- reason I'm hopeful in his case, he does have a clue how to work with offense-first players, unlike Julien.
Injuries slowed Scherback down, hes much better than Svechnikov.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

you have to look at Scherbak's year in context. He got injured in the WHL playoffs, it was a major knee injury so he couldn't train in the summer. Came to camp and his skating wasn't close to 100%, then gets injured for say a month or so then comes back and in his first game back he gets a concussion and is out a couple months. So mid season he comes back having barely played and no off-season and the brain trust opts to take a RW and move him to center days after coming back from being out almost all season.

Scherbak is 10 months older but they played almost the exact amount of AHL games (140 Scherbak/131 Svech) but Scherbak has the higher ppg and in the NHL they both have the same ppg (Svech .25, Scherbak .24137)

Want My Dach x 77

Sep 2, 2010
vancouver, bc
There was a few times last season when it was a certain camera angle and with the jersey tucks I thought Scherbak was galchenyuk , I was a huge Galchenyuk fan , when I saw a few of the plays Scherbak made and some nights outplaying chucky on the same line , It was one of those moments I had a feeling we were trading Galchenyuk.... Scherbak and Galchenyuk play a very Simaliar style (even tho chucky has a better shot ) and We had to much of the same jam last season. I think with the right line mates he could hit 45 plus points this season . Man in all honesty our offense could be very potent this year with just a few surprises from the young guys and we have enough of these guys it seems like it’s inevitable a few turn some heads . Combined that with a Carey price rebound ,victor mete progression and a fast healed 100% ready Weber we could make a little more noise then some expect

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Love the kid but I definitely believe he'll be a throw in on the Paccioretty trade. Russian, not a defensive stalwart, yup he's out the door.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I see Scherbak as almost a litmus test.

Whatever you want to call what is happening in Montreal it is pretty clear that our hope for a Cup lies in the future, and except for Price, non of the older vets fit the time frame. It's all on the youngsters on the team and the prospects that will come in.

So Scherbak has been derailed by injuries but came on last year, and we see his skill in abundance. He probably has the best potential of being a 1st line winger of the AHL graduates. Also fun to watch. But defensively , needs work.

Now we have enough depth that we can play skill guys in the top 9. Does Scherbak play with skill, which he must in order to be successful, or does he play with grinders and have to work himself up ? Or do we even keep him ?

The answers will help tell me whether it is the same old crap. Now of course there will be other indicators with other players, but Scherbaks usage will be pretty telling. And I am assuming he comes in with effort etc.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I see Scherbak as almost a litmus test.

Whatever you want to call what is happening in Montreal it is pretty clear that our hope for a Cup lies in the future, and except for Price, non of the older vets fit the time frame. It's all on the youngsters on the team and the prospects that will come in.

So Scherbak has been derailed by injuries but came on last year, and we see his skill in abundance. He probably has the best potential of being a 1st line winger of the AHL graduates. Also fun to watch. But defensively , needs work.

Now we have enough depth that we can play skill guys in the top 9. Does Scherbak play with skill, which he must in order to be successful, or does he play with grinders and have to work himself up ? Or do we even keep him ?

The answers will help tell me whether it is the same old crap. Now of course there will be other indicators with other players, but Scherbaks usage will be pretty telling. And I am assuming he comes in with effort etc.

We have so many bodies that even if he plays on the 4th line he probably won't play with grinders...

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We have so many bodies that even if he plays on the 4th line he probably won't play with grinders...

We do, you are right. The line is not of much importance as much as the talent.

But who plays with Pleks ? To me Byron does not need to be with skill guys as he can pretty much do his thing on any line, with anyone, so dont let him take a spot from a young guy who could otherwise play with more skilled players. Etc.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Does this mean CJ is going to use Scherbak on the 4th line for 6 mins a game and/or make him a healthy scratch every other game and then say it's because he's "inconsistent"?

Cause giving certain players inconsistent icetime/roles and then criticizing them for being inconsistent seems like a very Montreal Canadiens coach type of thing to do.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
A 1st round pick should be playing with the teams best players, top line minutes and PP.

The guy was drafted really late in the first round, stop selling him like he's some generational talent...

Often those picks don't even make the NHL...

There's nothing wrong in slowly graduating him.

We do, you are right. The line is not of much importance as much as the talent.

But who plays with Pleks ? To me Byron does not need to be with skill guys as he can pretty much do his thing on any line, with anyone, so dont let him take a spot from a young guy who could otherwise play with more skilled players. Etc.

Byron is playing on the left wing usually, so he's irrelevant...

If Scherbak can show he's ready for the big show he can easily be on the second line right away as after Gallagher there's nothing set in the stone on the RW.

He will probably fight against Armia for that second line RW position.

Does this mean CJ is going to use Scherbak on the 4th line for 6 mins a game and/or make him a healthy scratch every other game and then say it's because he's "inconsistent"?

Cause giving certain players inconsistent icetime/roles and then criticizing them for being inconsistent seems like a very Montreal Canadiens coach type of thing to do.

Come on man, why do you need to exaggerate? There's enough exaggeration already on this board...

He averaged 13:23 TOI this season...

Just stop...

Deslauriers and DLR averaged around 12 minutes of ice time...

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
So wtf are you actually claiming for? A losing environment like in Laval last season that you all were livid about? Can you ****ing decide yourself for once ffs!?

A losing environment? Yes of course that exactly what we want from the habs this season. The more games they lose the better or are you wanting them to finish just outside of a playoff spot? Look at Toronto, they were bad for a couple of years and that didn't ruin their players, in fact they are better for it. What you don't want is a perpetual losing environment like in Edmonton. Telling Scherbak that he's no better than a 4th liner I don't know what kind of message that sends.

Who might that be?

Scherbak and Gallagher are both RW.

I don't know. It's like trying to build a puzzle with square pegs and round holes. You can't play Nikita with Danault because he's not a skilled guy and Plekanec is a blackhole offensivley. You can play Scherbak with Drouin but again Scherbak is more of a playmaker as is Drouin. We had a shooting center that actually had good chemistry with Scherbak but he's gone.

Reactions: jaffy27

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
A losing environment? Yes of course that exactly what we want from the habs this season. The more games they lose the better or are you wanting them to finish just outside of a playoff spot? Look at Toronto, they were bad for a couple of years and that didn't ruin their players, in fact they are better for it. What you don't want is a perpetual losing environment like in Edmonton. Telling Scherbak that he's no better than a 4th liner I don't know what kind of message that sends.

So where's the logic? You want those kids to play in a losing environment all of a sudden while you claimed for Lefebvre's head for years because that team was not winning? I'm not even surprised...

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
So where's the logic? You want those kids to play in a losing environment all of a sudden while you claimed for Lefebvre's head for years because that team was not winning? I'm not even surprised...

Newsflash! Habs will be a losing environment next season whether you like it or not. Just put the kids in a position to succeed. People have literally been asking this for years. Is this too much to ask?

Reactions: jaffy27

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Newsflash! Habs will be a losing environment next season whether you like it or not. Just put the kids in a position to succeed. People have literally been asking this for years. Is this too much to ask?
Well, apparently you cant develop in losing environment! That dogma changed all of a sudden?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Well, apparently you cant develop in losing environment! That dogma changed all of a sudden?

Pacioretty developed in a losing environment just fine. He scored his first 33 goal season in 2011-12 alongside Erik Cole on the first line... not the 4th line.

You can develop in a losing environment as long as you have a coach that can continuously correct your mistakes. As much as I don't like Julien I think he can do this. Therrien was not a teacher, he was more of a drill sergeant and Lefevbre was just bad. At least on the coaching side the team is much better than it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->