Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
I watch him closely since draft year, always been one of my favourites.
The kid got it. He is now excellent everywhere on the ice, head always up, back checking, skating and reading the play extremely well.

Such a great personality, a funny guy but mostly a very smart young man.

I have high expectations for Scherbak this season and I have absolutely no doubt the coaches like him a lot already. Julien is no different than others, as much as possible if you work and do what he is waiting from you you'll play.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I watch him closely since draft year, always been one of my favourites.
The kid got it. He is now excellent everywhere on the ice, head always up, back checking, skating and reading the play extremely well.

Such a great personality, a funny guy but mostly a very smart young man.
his
I have high expectations for Scherbak this season and I have absolutely no doubt the coaches like him a lot already. Julien is no different than others, as much as possible if you work and do what he is waiting from you you'll play.
I really hope he takes a huge step this season. Very talented and very likable. I hope he came ready to fight for a spot

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
If Nikita doesnt pan out its going to be MB and CJs fault. He has all the tools to be a top 6 player, if not more.
He has the skills but he needs to be stronger on his feet and battle more. That is all that is holding him back and coaches (or managers) can't teach that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He has the skills but he needs to be stronger on his feet and battle more. That is all that is holding him back and coaches (or managers) can't teach that.
Bogus, he needs the puck on his stick to score goals and set up plays. Would you ask Drouin or Pacioretty to battle more? Stick Danault or DLR or Domi in the middle or Byron on LW and let him set shit up. Hes there to produce offense, not grind.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Bogus, he needs the puck on his stick to score goals and set up plays. Would you ask Drouin or Pacioretty to battle more? Stick Danault or DLR or Domi in the middle or Byron on LW and let him set **** up. Hes there to produce offense, not grind.
Yes. Drouin actually does battle a heck of lot more than when he was in junior. He had to learn that and strengthen is lower body before playing regularly in the NHL. So did Pacioretty.
You have to stay on your feet if you want to keep the puck. McCarron has a similar problem and he needs to be a grinder.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
For this season, I'm not worried about his point total. As long as he can round out his game enough to belong (and hence not get benched regularly by Julien), I think the offense will come soon after.

As much as I hated the way Julien used Chucky, some of the things Chucky was still doing with the puck were pretty ridiculous. He's too good of a player and has too good hockey sense to still be doing that. I would have loved to have worked with him. No way that can't be fixed in his game. No way.

Yes. And especially if they had started 6 years ago.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I want to see him in the top 6 for a nice while:

Domi - Danault - Gallagher
Tatar - Drouin - Scherbak
Lekhonen - Plekanec - Armia
Byron - Shaw/Peca - Hudon

Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Rielly/Schlemko - Lernout
Benn

I can see this team finishing anywhere between 10-14th in the East. At least we get to see what our kids can do...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If they trade Scherbak it means that they are intent on ridding this team of any remaining skilled players, he should be on one of the top 2 lines for the whole season. This is a bottom feeder of a team, let the kids play. I say this but I am also very mindful of the fact that Julien will probably stick him on the 4th line with two low talent plugs. God, I long for the day when things take a turn for the better for this team.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I want to see him in the top 6 for a nice while:

Domi - Danault - Gallagher
Tatar - Drouin - Scherbak
Byron - Shaw/Peca - Hudon

Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Rielly/Schlemko - Lernout
Benn

I can see this team finishing anywhere between 10-14th in the East. At least we get to see what our kids can do...

I don't think Drouin and Scherbak complement each other very well, just like Drouin and Chucky didn't mesh well either. I want to see Scherby with Tatar, though.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
If they trade Scherbak it means that they are intent on ridding this team of any remaining skilled players, he should be on one of the top 2 lines for the whole season. This is a bottom feeder of a team, let the kids play. I say this but I am also very mindful of the fact that Julien will probably stick him on the 4th line with two low talent plugs. God, I long for the day when things take a turn for the better for this team.
Ya! Let the kids play!
-trade Scherbak and DLR so they can play Ward and Pleks.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Funny because Galchenyuk had one of the best one timer to passing ratios in the league and we used a guy that cannot pass and cannot one time there.

Pacioretty is not a playmaker by any stretch and passing is definitely not his strength, but saying he couldn't pass is not accurate either although I agree with the premise of your post. Chucky should have been on the half wall every chance we got, he was dynamite from there.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Funny too because Max was the worst passer on the team. Scherbak might be the guy

The thing about Max is, he publicly said at some point that last year: I DON"T WANT TO BE ON THE HALF-WALL. I want to be in the high slot so I can use my shot. It's not like Max was hogging the position - he knew it wasn't the right place for him.

He also basically said: WHY THE F DID YOU GET RID OF RADULOV??? When he said he tries to carry the puck more instead of giving it to Radulov, finding open space, and snipping it home.

He knew what his strengths were and who he needed to play with. Too bad management didn't clue in.

Reactions: Tyson

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The thing about Max is, he publicly said at some point that last year: I DON"T WANT TO BE ON THE HALF-WALL. I want to be in the high slot so I can use my shot. It's not like Max was hogging the position - he knew it wasn't the right place for him.

He also basically said: WHY THE F DID YOU GET RID OF RADULOV??? When he said he tries to carry the puck more instead of giving it to Radulov, finding open space, and snipping it home.

He knew what his strengths were and who he needed to play with. Too bad management didn't clue in.
He shouldve went in the coachs office and broken a few sticks on Therrien and CJs head because they never realized it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pacioretty is not a playmaker by any stretch and passing is definitely not his strength, but saying he couldn't pass is not accurate either although I agree with the premise of your post. Chucky should have been on the half wall every chance we got, he was dynamite from there.
He cant pass on the halfwall, you need to have nigh-elite vision and hands to be effective there.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

LTKP. Let The Kids Play. I think you amongst others, nailed it. No point adding or relying upon mediocre players that eat away valuable TOI. The team as constituted and on a rebuild, and with Weber out, is likely eliminated by Christmas. LTKP.

Reactions: OldCraig71

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I don't think Drouin and Scherbak complement each other very well, just like Drouin and Chucky didn't mesh well either. I want to see Scherby with Tatar, though.

I can see that but I would at least try it on the PP.

Perhaps this would be a better top 9?

Domi - Drouin - Gallagher
Tatar - Danault - Scherbak

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can see that but I would at least try it on the PP.

Perhaps this would be a better top 9?

Domi - Drouin - Gallagher
Tatar - Danault - Scherbak

I like that. But don't be surprised if Julien has Armia with Drouin and Domi (since he likes a defensive guy on each line) and Gallagher back with Plekanec. I also think Julien will have Byron and maybe Hudon ahead of Scherback, sadly.

Reactions: King In Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad