Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Will he ever play? Factoring Hudon that doesn't deserve to be in the press box. 15 forwards can't work.

Truth be told, I think it will work over the course of the season. Due to injury or fatigue, Scherbak is going to make his way onto the lineup and hopefully he'll do what it takes to stick there. This high tempo game is going to make for a long season and spots will open up soon enough (See Plekanec, Shaw, Deslauriers, etc.)

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
We need to give him some games. Surely he can't be a big downgrade from Shaw or Dlo. Having him rot is not smart at all.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
From everything I've seen and read, Scherbak is developing into Galchenyuk 2.0. He has a skill set good enough to be a difference maker....sometimes. But only sometimes. The rest of the time? Invisible, ineffectual, even detrimental.

Now this could be way off because you always have to remember that the Habs propaganda ministry will systematically trash any player they decide they no longer like, but even allowing for the fact that Julien probably has no use for players like him, if Scherbak was playing so good he couldn't be ignored we aren't having this discussion right now. He's just not making anything out of his opportunities.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
From everything I've seen and read, Scherbak is developing into Galchenyuk 2.0. He has a skill set good enough to be a difference maker....sometimes. But only sometimes. The rest of the time? Invisible, ineffectual, even detrimental.

Now this could be way off because you always have to remember that the Habs propaganda ministry will systematically trash any player they decide they no longer like, but even allowing for the fact that Julien probably has no use for players like him, if Scherbak was playing so good he couldn't be ignored we aren't having this discussion right now. He's just not making anything out of his opportunities.

What kind of narrative has Galchenyuk as invisible, ineffectual, even detrimental???? Behind Gallagher, he was our best player last year. He didn't completely solve his problem of turning the puck over, but he made strides last year. I was looking forward to him continuing to tighten up his defensive game under Julien. He was far from a negative. Look at Drouin - he's having a great start - but that doesn't mean he's completely turnover free.

Scherbak hasn't accomplished nearly as much as Galchneyuk. But, from all reports, he's got a good attitude and is willing to learn. If he learns he learns. If he doesn't he doesn't. We will see when there are injuries and he gets his chance.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Well, back to Everett's time, Scheby wasnt so effective at learning things too. I think 90% of the panel here smells the bust that he bcomes. I would be happy to grab a late 2nd pick.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
He'll need some regular ice time for that. Letting him stagnate hurts both his game and his trade value. I honestly don't understand the mentality that allows that to happen.

We have swinged and missed so hard to find centers that we have now an hard time to find space for al thèses wingers. Hudon and Scherbak pay the costs

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
We have swinged and missed so hard to find centers that we have now an hard time to find space for al thèses wingers. Hudon and Scherbak pay the costs

That happens when trying to find the best possible lineup. But keeping them without playing them is self inflicted wounding. Play them or trade them.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Inside out today said poor work ethic is why he never given a shot. Don't know all they meant though. Said Habs don't want to send him down because likely will lose him. Because know skill is there. Sounds like another Galchenyuk. Catch 22 situation. I doubt we will come out of this one. Because at some point we either play hiim or lose him

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
9 games without playing at all. If you are not going to play him then waive him. He may not be good enough but he deserves a chance somewhere. This is ridiculous

He’s too slow and soft for the NHL.
Maybe you should actually watch him play because he is not too slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Runner77

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Inside out today said poor work ethic is why he never given a shot. Don't know all they meant though. Said Habs don't want to send him down because likely will lose him. Because know skill is there. Sounds like another Galchenyuk. Catch 22 situation. I doubt we will come out of this one. Because at some point we either play hiim or lose him

they are waiting for a similar situation swap.
it's early season, teams are still testing out players, of course 9 games without playing is bad.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
The fact that he hasnt been traded yet means he doesnt have much value on the market.
The fact he hasn't played yet means he doesn't have much value in a trade as well. Not many teams are interested in an unproven skill forward who MIGHT be AHL fodder and needs waivers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The fact he hasn't played yet means he doesn't have much value in a trade as well. Not many teams are interested in an unproven skill forward who MIGHT be AHL fodder and needs waivers.
Thats not even true TBH. Scherback is a proven elite player in the AHL, teams like having that. Whats holding back a trade is most likely that Bergevin doesnt want to lose value on him.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Problem is hes going to fill in a game and play 10 minutes and suck, and Voila! He sucks, ship him out.

The ship has sailed, waive him. Hes not going to play and theyre just wasting a players career.
Yeah, it would make much more sense to reduce other players' minutes, hand them over to Scherbak and watch him float around, being outmuscled off the puck and keep making the same mistakes over and over again. That's development!

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, it would make much more sense to reduce other players' minutes, hand them over to Scherbak and watch him float around, being outmuscled off the puck and keep making the same mistakes over and over again. That's development!
Yup, better for his development to stay in the stands, that way he doesnt make mistakes, ever... right ?

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
It's sadly, a first round pick isn't playing and mishandled by this organization, I feel for this guy and it must be frustrating to be sat out and not proving for this management that failed him miserably. Kudos I guess

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
9 games without playing at all. If you are not going to play him then waive him. He may not be good enough but he deserves a chance somewhere. This is ridiculous

I'm selfish. I don't want to lose him for nothing. If he can learn to win board battles and not turn the puck over, we'll get to see if he's a player with great hands but no hockey sense, or the whole package. He has high talent level in certain areas - hands, passing. But some have questioned his hockey sense. I'd like to see if he can put it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad