Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mario Langue-sale of 98.5FM believes Scherbak is probably on his way out. Says MB has been making a lot of calls. He's at the crossroads: Nikita Scherbak: la direction du Tricolore a-t-elle lancé la serviette ?

Heard another interview from ex-coach Therrien on 91.9FM yesterday and even though I don't value what he says, he was recounting an anecdote where he had once benched Scherbak after he would keep making the same mistake. He was 20 at the time. So he nails him to the bench and after more than a period and a half, he lets him back on the ice. And repeats the same mistakes again. Apparently Scherbak is not very coachable.

Look for Bergevin to trade him for another former 1st round struggling pick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
More likely doesn't understand much. Sometimes it's the hockey IQ that's missing.

He comes across as one of those enigmatic players who is blessed with abilities but can't put it together on account of his hockey IQ. Another drafting mistake in the first round, it hurts.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
He comes across as one of those enigmatic players who is blessed with abilities but can't put it together on account of his hockey IQ. Another drafting mistake in the first round, it hurts.

Well, he was drafted in the end of the first round and it's more gambles at that point. For his skills set alone, it's a not a bad pick.

It's not like there were good players taken after him (the next 15-20 picks)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, he was drafted in the end of the first round and it's more gambles at that point. For his skills set alone, it's a not a bad pick.

It's not like there were good players taken after him (the next 15-20 picks)

I wonder what kind of value he'd have on the market.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I think everyone would agree that the best thing for his career would be to go back to Laval. However, we'd risk losing him through waivers. Can he even reach his potential if kept as a 4th liner or an extra? These are tough questions.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Leverage is not so great for the Habs. Too many options during the next Waiver where teams try to get down to 23 players.

I can't disagree there. If he had any market value, I'd have to believe that he would have been traded before now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can't disagree there. If he had any market value, I'd have to believe that he would have been traded before now.

It's disappointing cause there is a chance he does well on another team. I agree with you, I would target a 2nd round pick cause it gives us a chance to replace the asset. Maybe with Schlemko hurt, it opens up a spot for Scherbak and we can see what the market is once the season starts?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's disappointing cause there is a chance he does well on another team. I agree with you, I would target a 2nd round pick cause it gives us a chance to replace the asset. Maybe with Schlemko hurt, it opens up a spot for Scherbak and we can see what the market is once the season starts?

Especially a 2nd rounder in either 2019 or 2020 -- two deep drafts where I believe you can get great value in the second round.

He was certainly a headache for the team in terms of finding a slot for him. I too believe he has a spot, but it's tenuous. He may just get one final shot until one of the injured players returns.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I liked the pick. At least there was upside. I can swallow this better than BigMac as a pick.

I think with a guy whose game is as an offensive minded skilled forward for him to play with confidence he needs to find success at what he us good at, his offensive game.

I dont see that he can have offensive success playing with Pleks and Chaput. He needs to be with greater skill.

Writing is on the wall though I guess. Russian exodus continues under CJ. Best to do a rehab project for another rehab project as suggested above. Ho- Sang, sure , why not. Though I expect Scherbak would still have to clear waivers with a new team and if he cant crack us, he isnt cracking the Isles. Better a PMD rehab project, but whatever.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In that case, double-ouch. How about a low second rounder from a contending team?

I don't think so, as I don't see why a contender would want him, would think more like teams like Yotes, NYI, NYR, without looking at their rosters. So teams like us, since he's the kind of player we should just ride it out and see what he can do imo. But I have been saying he'll be traded as I bet Julien has a voodoo doll of Scherbak and pokes pins in it every time he makes a defensive mistake.

and that's exactly why we shouldn't trade him now.

agreed.

Reactions: yianik

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think so, as I don't see why a contender would want him, would think more like teams like Yotes, NYI, NYR, without looking at their rosters. So teams like us, since he's the kind of player we should just ride it out and see what he can do imo. But I have been saying he'll be traded as I bet Julien has a voodoo doll of Scherbak and pokes pins in it every time he makes a defensive mistake.

Except that Julien is going to give him the Galchenyuk treatment, I can't imagine how his value is going to be rehabilitated. Maybe if they can slip him through waivers.

If he's really worth so little, then why not waive him? Better than watching the guy deteriorate further. He belongs in the AHL.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

Probably not true. As someone stated his value is Atleast an equally struggling late first round prospect.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Probably not true. As someone stated his value is Atleast an equally struggling late first round prospect.

I would hope that's the case but don't know for a fact.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Except that Julien is going to give him the Galchenyuk treatment, I can't imagine how his value is going to be rehabilitated. Maybe if they can slip him through waivers.

If he's really worth so little, then why not waive him? Better than watching the guy deteriorate further. He belongs in the AHL.

that's why I thought he would be traded, just don't see him getting good linemates. My hope was that they would try a more offensive 4th line and have something like Hudon Peca Scherbak, but I doubt Julien will do that. I just liked Hudon with Scherbak in the AHL and Peca gives them a speedy center.

I don't think his value needs to increase, my hope is that at some point somehow Molson is told by the rest of the investors that he needs to f*** off and go sit in his room. Then they hire a real hockey mind as president. He fires MB so fast his head spins and Julien and the pro scouts go with him.

In the meantime Scherbak is a 13th/14th forward that plays here and there. Over the summer he works more on getting stronger especially lower body. With hopefully a new GM/Coach for '19-'20 maybe he can find a spot in the lineup since we'll likely suck again. Give him a few years to show what he can do while rebuilding and put him in a position to succeed by putting him with guys that can convert his passes.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
that's why I thought he would be traded, just don't see him getting good linemates. My hope was that they would try a more offensive 4th line and have something like Hudon Peca Scherbak, but I doubt Julien will do that. I just liked Hudon with Scherbak in the AHL and Peca gives them a speedy center.

I don't think his value needs to increase, my hope is that at some point somehow Molson is told by the rest of the investors that he needs to **** off and go sit in his room. Then they hire a real hockey mind as president. He fires MB so fast his head spins and Julien and the pro scouts go with him.

In the meantime Scherbak is a 13th/14th forward that plays here and there. Over the summer he works more on getting stronger especially lower body. With hopefully a new GM/Coach for '19-'20 maybe he can find a spot in the lineup since we'll likely suck again. Give him a few years to show what he can do while rebuilding and put him in a position to succeed by putting him with guys that can convert his passes.

Instead of players passing the torch we have the dinosaur mentality coaches passing it , Jacques Martin to Therrien to Julien, same old crap.

Anyway, the torch blew out long ago.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004

I don't think his value needs to increase, my hope is that at some point somehow Molson is told by the rest of the investors that he needs to **** off and go sit in his room. Then they hire a real hockey mind as president. He fires MB so fast his head spins and Julien and the pro scouts go with him.

Agree with most of what you're saying but doubt Habs would keep Nikita as the 13th/14th skater all season. They would prefer he go to Laval and possibly progress under Bouchard, but some team is sure to grab Scherbak off the waiver line so that's not an option.

I can see MB trying to work a trade like the one for Armia, take on some salary and get a decent player or draft pick. No way any team will trade a 2nd for Nikita straight up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->