Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
So true, I wish they would stop living in the past.

It's been a generation since this team was a dynasty. More like an expansion team nowadays.:(

I wish we were as good as an expansion team , when was the last time we got to see Habs hockey in June?

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So true, I wish they would stop living in the past.

It's been a generation since this team was a dynasty. More like an expansion team nowadays.:(

Yeah. I think BG actually left a few embers still glowing in the torch, but Therrien farted on it and it blew out his second year here.

Reactions: Benning

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Scherbak hasn't earned anything. He will need to play his way up the line-up like everyone else. I think a year with Pleks would actually be very good for him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Setting up your skilled players up for success is what should be done.

I do agree though that Scherbak shouldn't be handed anything. Given opportunities when the time is right? Abosultely. But if he's not one of the top 12 fowards going into the season, he shouldn't be dressed. He should definitely not be let go of though. I would keep him over Shaw, Chaput, and D-lo - and I like D-lo. If he's kept around, he will get his shot.

Drouin Kotkaniemi Domi
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Hudon Peca Lehkonen
Byron Plekanec Armia
Scherbak, DLR

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I believe people are giving up on him too easily. Once he gets going and comfortable at the NHL level he can be a top 6 winger.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I am basing it on his very average camp. I don’t see him making it and being productive at the NHL level. This is based on watching him closely since last year. Management deserves a large chunk of the blame

Why?

He is a player we actually let simmer in the AHL and didn't rush. Issue with Scherback is injuries, he has been injured every season.

Only thing we can blame management is that they didn't trade up to get ahead of Boston and grab Pasta.

But Scherback was always a boom or bust prospect, he is just becoming the bust rather than the boom portion.

Reactions: Fixxer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why?

He is a player we actually let simmer in the AHL and didn't rush. Issue with Scherback is injuries, he has been injured every season.

Only thing we can blame management is that they didn't trade up to get ahead of Boston and grab Pasta.

But Scherback was always a boom or bust prospect, he is just becoming the bust rather than the boom portion.

He was always a raw talent that would need time to be molded. His offensive game has come along. Now it remains to be seen if Julien can mold him into a player that doesn't turn the puck over and isn't a defensive liability. If he can do so, we have a player on our hands - the offense will surely only get better and better.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Too early to give up on him now. The talent is there. He reminds me of the Kostytsins in that his hockey IQ isn't necessarily high but if he simplify s his game, he can be effective

Reactions: Fixxer and sharks9

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He was always a raw talent that would need time to be molded. His offensive game has come along. Now it remains to be seen if Julien can mold him into a player that doesn't turn the puck over and isn't a defensive liability. If he can do so, we have a player on our hands - the offense will surely only get better and better.

I agree problem is there is lots of young guys who are doing more with each shift they get. Scherbak is going to have to impress CJ to jump over guys like Hudon/Lek/Domi/JK/Peca even Shaw.

He still had 2 goals in the pre season and the Habs are a team that can use goal scoring. But Scherbak has lots of players competing with him and I think he is going to have to take it upon himself to get the love of the staff rather than expecting them to just give it to him.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Scherbak needs to play on the top-9. He can only earn a spot if one winger gets injured or is sick. Shaw and Hudon are arguably top 9 but they're playing on the 4th line...

Jul 6, 2016
Scherbak needs to play on the top-9. He can only earn a spot if one winger gets injured or is sick. Shaw and Hudon are arguably top 9 but they're playing on the 4th line...

Scherbak could play with Hudon and Shaw on the 4th. Shaw can center that line. He's very good on faceoffs.

In the stands: Plekky and Peca.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Scherbak could play with Hudon and Shaw on the 4th. Shaw can center that line. He's very good on faceoffs.

In the stands: Plekky and Peca.

I believe that skilled players should not play on the 4th line. Hudon and Scherbak doesn't belong there. I believe 4th line players should be grinders that put pucks behind the opposing dmen and harass them all night long. Players like Ryan Reaves, D-Lo, etc. So when they had a strong shift in the opposing zone, you can change them up for your skilled forwards against an opposing line/pair that is tired/banged up.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
I believe that skilled players should not play on the 4th line. Hudon and Scherbak doesn't belong there. I believe 4th line players should be grinders that put pucks behind the opposing dmen and harass them all night long. Players like Ryan Reaves, D-Lo, etc. So when they had a strong shift in the opposing zone, you can change them up for your skilled forwards against an opposing line/pair that is tired/banged up.

Right now, there is no place for him on the top-nine. I think he would gladly play 4th line than sitting in the stands.

4 fast skating and hard forechecking lines seems to be a good solution too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I've been saying I think he gets traded or if there's not much interest maybe they try and sneak him through waivers but I would be surprised if they did this.

If I were the Habs, I would look at Scherbak like DLR last year, where he's not really ready for the NHL and would benefit from another year in the AHL to work on things but since you can't send him there, just carry him on the roster since it's not like we are going anywhere. Let him train all year with NHLers, get someone to work with him on how to be a better player without the puck, over the summer make sure he's working hard on improving his lower body strength. Then see how he looks next year.

So because we have too many forwards for now, guys like Hudon, Scherbak, Peca, etc... might have to rotate in the and out of the lineup, 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad