Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's sadly, a first round pick isn't playing and mishandled by this organization, I feel for this guy and it must be frustrating to be sat out and not proving for this management that failed him miserably. Kudos I guess

I'd be curious to know what it is they don't like about the player. Sometimes, there are behind-the-scenes elements that escape us. Is he unmotivated to put the work in, does he have questionable off ice discipline or habits, does he work harder on account of being snubbed so often and at least fight back to try and prove them wrong, etc.

I'm not questioning that the player wasn't handled correctly, esp. that he was subjected to mangler Lefebvre's methods. However, you have to wonder how much of it is on the player and whether this is one instance where he should be moved for someone similar in another organization, who could use a fresh start. He may just have burned his bridges.

Thats not even true TBH. Scherback is a proven elite player in the AHL, teams like having that. Whats holding back a trade is most likely that Bergevin doesnt want to lose value on him.

Then the org. should try and be creative about it. Try and move him for a player equally despised by a competing club but who doesn't need to be exposed to waivers. They may have to add an incentive for that to happen, but it will well be worth it to solve their numbers problem. Beats being forced to hold on to a player they don't appear to value and who is not playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm selfish. I don't want to lose him for nothing. If he can learn to win board battles and not turn the puck over, we'll get to see if he's a player with great hands but no hockey sense, or the whole package. He has high talent level in certain areas - hands, passing. But some have questioned his hockey sense. I'd like to see if he can put it together.
Jessica Rusnak and Chris Nilan were saying on Inside Out this week it is Scherbak's work ethic which has held him back. He makes those long circles instead of starting and stopping, Nilan said the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line not a long loops. On the fore check they criticized him using the long reach instead of digging for the puck. But they did say there is a danger in trading him as his value is low and skill is there. If he straightens out he could be a good one.

Then the org. should try and be creative about it. Try and move him for a player equally despised by a competing club but who doesn't need to be exposed to waivers. They may have to add an incentive for that to happen, but it will well be worth it to solve their numbers problem. Beats being forced to hold on to a player they don't appear to value and who is not playing.
If Bergevin could find another Reilly, Tatar or Byron type. Be good trade for both clubs. Hard to steal a player away from another club but it is his specialty though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm selfish. I don't want to lose him for nothing. If he can learn to win board battles and not turn the puck over, we'll get to see if he's a player with great hands but no hockey sense, or the whole package. He has high talent level in certain areas - hands, passing. But some have questioned his hockey sense. I'd like to see if he can put it together.
Maybe a 2-3 game conditioning stint in Laval is needed. I think at some point injuries may open the door for him. He can’t sit in the press box forever.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Jessica Rusnak and Chris Nilan were saying on Inside Out this week it is Scherbak's work ethic which has held him back. He makes those long circles instead of starting and stopping, Nilan said the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line not a long loops. On the fore check they criticized him using the long reach instead of digging for the puck. But they did say there is a danger in trading him as his value is low and skill is there. If he straightens out he could be a good one.
This is a coaching issue, where by you tell him this, and it's on him to fix his own play.............he has talent around the net, if they could get him to change his play we could have a real good player on our hands.......................and if not, we sell low, again...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He's not a cancer or selfish. My impression is he's a little too happy go lucky though. I think this time in the stands is a reality check for him, about how hard he's going to have to work and how seriously he's going to have to take all aspects of the game if he wants to have a successful career. I think he will get that part. He says he wants to improve in all those areas.

I think he can do it. It's just that learning the finer points that he needs to improve on won't happen overnight. Remember, on the bigger ice surface you have to circle more in order to maintain your speed in order to be able to be able to keep up with the paly/get up and down the big ice surface. There are a lot of bad habits he's going to have to shed, and a lot of new skills along the boards and in tight he will have to learn.

Ultimately for me it comes down to what Scotty Bowman used to say: it's easier to teach an offensive player to play defense than it is to teach a defensive player offense.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Did Nilan verify his Pejorative Sluration, by stealing any other witty historical quotes and applying them to hockey? I love it when the punchdrunk turd starts using quotes, but getting them all wrong. Like when he says 'catch 52', 'a rolling grass gathers no moss' and other gems.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
this is where they need to be a bit better at the asset management game, and highlights MB's lack of vision/leadership.

to platoon him in the press box like this to start the season makes no sense at all... if they've identified that he's not cut out for the culture/style that the organization is focused on building, fine, then move him during the pre-season or even earlier.

all that's happening now is that his value or potential value is decreasing, and the odds of successfully "showcasing" him is getting worse (longer he sits not playing, the harder it will be for him to step in and play well).

we should have showcased him in the preseason and pulled the trigger for the best return we could find within the first week of the season.

at this point, what GM would pay anything but pennies on the dollar, or, send us an equivalent blunder?

Reactions: 417

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Thats not even true TBH. Scherback is a proven elite player in the AHL, teams like having that. Whats holding back a trade is most likely that Bergevin doesnt want to lose value on him.
It is 100% true. You seriously think an offensive player who can't score (0.24 PPG in 29 games) holds value to an NHL club?

Why would a team trade assets for a player who they'll likely put on waivers anyways? It makes zero sense to trade assets for a "proven AHLer" who needs waivers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It is 100% true. You seriously think an offensive player who can't score (0.24 PPG in 29 games) holds value to an NHL club?

Why would a team trade assets for a player who they'll likely put on waivers anyways? It makes zero sense to trade assets for a "proven AHLer" who needs waivers.
Teams have acquired way worse players. Depth is important in the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe a 2-3 game conditioning stint in Laval is needed. I think at some point injuries may open the door for him. He can’t sit in the press box forever.

Are players that aren't coming back from injury allowed conditioning stints without passing through waivers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously he should be given a game or two, whatever the plan is. Would it really be that hard to scratch Deslauriers and his cage for a game?

Julien doesn't trust him. He'll either get in by earning his trust in practice, injuries, or if the team is doing so badly that he might as well try something new. Also, if Deslauriers continues to be ineffective and behind the play, before Plekanec gets back, Scherbak could get a look.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's not a cancer or selfish. My impression is he's a little too happy go lucky though. I think this time in the stands is a reality check for him, about how hard he's going to have to work and how seriously he's going to have to take all aspects of the game if he wants to have a successful career. I think he will get that part. He says he wants to improve in all those areas.

I think he can do it. It's just that learning the finer points that he needs to improve on won't happen overnight. Remember, on the bigger ice surface you have to circle more in order to maintain your speed in order to be able to be able to keep up with the paly/get up and down the big ice surface. There are a lot of bad habits he's going to have to shed, and a lot of new skills along the boards and in tight he will have to learn.

Ultimately for me it comes down to what Scotty Bowman used to say: it's easier to teach an offensive player to play defense than it is to teach a defensive player offense.
Scherbak has been over here for 5 seasons. I don't think the large ice surface can be used as an excuse. He should be use to it by now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Scherbak has been over here for 5 seasons. I don't think the large ice surface can be used as an excuse. He should be use to it by now.

Whatever the case, he was getting away with things in junior and the AHL that he can't get away with in the NHL - whether it's from his roots on the big ice surface or not, he'll have to change some of the ways he plays if he wants to be successful at the NHL level.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I can hardly wait for his first game.....i hope he scores a pair
And why would he ever do that? Honestly, has this kid ever demonstrated at the NHL level that he can be a regular offensive threat? He's shown that he's atrocious without the puck and he's been reported to be totally uncouchable. Can anyone explain to me the root of infatuation with this kid?

Reactions: Vachon23

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
And why would he ever do that? Honestly, has this kid ever demonstrated at the NHL level that he can be a regular offensive threat? He's shown that he's atrocious without the puck and he's been reported to be totally uncouchable. Can anyone explain to me the root of infatuation with this kid?
The kid has boatloads of talent. Some need a little more patience, Scherbak is worth being patient for. This kids going to work out imo.

Reactions: 26Mats and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

How many times have we seen teams giving up on a player just before he puts it together? What a tough situation to be in but that's why management gets paid the big bucks. Figure it out. Exercising intense patience can be painful.

Jul 6, 2016
How is he doing in training sessions ? Is he trying super hard to impress the coaches, or is he just sleeping at the wheel ? Does he show the willingness to compete and get a job ? Does he have a spine ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The kid has boatloads of talent. Some need a little more patience, Scherbak is worth being patient for. This kids going to work out imo.

If I were developing him now, I would tell him not to worry about points. If he can learn to play well along the boards and not turn the puck over from the 4th line, he'll get his shot in the top 9 to produce. Plus, he should already be on the 2nd pp unit.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Did Nilan verify his ******ation, by stealing any other witty historical quotes and applying them to hockey? I love it when the punchdrunk turd starts using quotes, but getting them all wrong. Like when he says 'catch 52', 'a rolling grass gathers no moss' and other gems.
A real life Ricky from tpb

Reactions: Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad