Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers earns 2-year contract extension, one-way deal

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Probably cause it's Feb 19th lol

The arguement you've made here has been made since the Armstrong/Bouillon signing and the meaningful moves since then are limited to getting Vanek as a rental and signing Radulov for 1 year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The arguement you've made here has been made since the Armstrong/Bouillon signing and the meaningful moves since then are limited to getting Vanek as a rental and signing Radulov for 1 year.
So what you're saying is the reason why they haven't been able to add top 6 players (other than Radulov and Drouin) is because of all the depth signings they've done?

You can't honestly believe that

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
So what you're saying is the reason why they haven't been able to add top 6 players (other than Radulov and Drouin) is because of all the depth signings they've done?

You can't honestly believe that

No one, and I mean literally no one, is saying that.

His lack of meaningful moves are unrelated to his depth moves, but depth moves is all you can expect from this guy at this point.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Well that's not really my point...

He got a 2 years deal, are the Habs going to be the kind of team where who is or isn't playing on the 4th line is going to matter within 2 years?

So if it doesn't matter who is on the 4th line these next two years, it should't matter that they signed him now that he was ready to sign.

They could have used Dwight King or Garth Murray instead of Deslauriers all season long and they would still be a the bottom of the standing this year and D-Lo is much better than both. But does it make a difference in the current context? Nope. So is it going to make a difference next season? Or the one after that? I know the Habs brass are expecting a quick turn around, I'm just not that optimistic.

It's your prerogative not to be optimistic. But even if a 4th liner is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, they do matter in the context of a game. And if you have one that plays the position well and he's right next to you ready to sign, then do it. It's not like management puts everything else on the shelf while they're in talks with Deslauriers' camp.

Does signing D-Lo hurt the team? No. Does it help? No, at least not with the current state of the team. And yeah, this is just a routine deal... but the philosophy applied to these deal by the Habs is almost cliché at this point.

If MB doesn't address the Top-6 (particularly center) or Top-4 (particularly LD), it would be yet another failure on his part. But even then, I wouldn't fault him for extending Deslauriers. Your 4th liners can play a bigger part if they are actually good players. If I see a Deslauriers and a Carr on the 4th line, I'm not breathing in a paper bag hoping they survive this shift. I would if it was a King or a Murray, though.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No one, and I mean literally no one, is saying that.

His lack of meaningful moves are unrelated to his depth moves, but depth moves is all you can expect from this guy at this point.
Ahhh I see...got it

Thanks for clarifying

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm more worried about our top 6 and the state of our defense. With our without Deslauriers the habs are not going to move too much up or down in the standings. MB plays hard ball with our best talent and gives bottom six multi year deals.
Top 6 is a little harder to organize then a bottom 6.......if you have a bottom 6 player that you want to keep, why wait?

Top 6 is also addressed more frequently around the draft then trade deadline, especially for a tanking team.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
NO.

But the wait for next summer is starting to get old. Very old. I wont congratulate him for anything until he does something significant for this team. I don't give a flying **** about moves not improving the team.
If you don't give a flying f*** then why complain?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I don't care about the move. I care about people trying to sell this as a good move though. It's neither bad or good.
Ahhhhh.......it's not a put you over the top move but as we all know, 4th liners ALWAYS come up with big goals in the playoffs and I believe that he's that type of player.

Now if we don't make the playoffs next year he'd be good trade bait for a 4th rounder. It's a can't lose move IMHO

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
whoopty doooo

giphy.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree, I like to see a guy like Deslauriers on a 4th line, he is versatile in that he can kill penalties, is a decent skater and is a big body that will not shy away from the rough stuff. One D-LO is more useful than the group of DLR, Froese and McCarron.

He brings attributes that are lacking on this team. It's a low-hanging fruit, good housekeeping kind of move that most organisations routinely attend to.

Of course, on a team that is cratering so badly and given the GM's propensity for making announcements involving bottom players, no question it will also play as fodder for where this GM's priorities should be at. But, in the end, the fact that Bergevin signed Deslauriers doesn't mean that another more significant deal has been held back. It's just optics.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Glad he stays. One of the very few players that deserve to wear the sacred jersey.

So much for the imminent trade! lol

Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You'd rather him sign 4th liners for 1.5m$ then?

Why should that be an option? Most GMs would not even consider that, goes against the whole precept of paying your best players first and foremost in a cap system -- saving on bottom player salaries is the smart thing to do.

Reactions: groovejuice

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Why should that be an option? Most GMs would not even consider that, goes against the whole precept of paying your best players first and foremost in a cap system -- saving on bottom player salaries is the smart thing to do.
Well then why ridicule the GM if he paid a 4th liner for 950K?

I mean, we should have a feast on Lamoriello for signing Martin for 2.5m$ per.....and he's not even playing now LOL

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Hopefully, Bergevin is getting some minor housekeeping in order while waiting to be replaced after the TD or at the end of the season.

That's my fervent hope. Bergevin can finish out his contract scouting in Kazakhstan.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Bergy, showing the other GM's how GM'ing is done! Getting ready for the blockbuster trade!
tefDMad.gif

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Most people on this board for the last month and a half: "D'Lo better not go, he's one of the only guys who actually gives a s***. MB will find a way to fck this up again"

The same people now: "What's the use for another friggin 4th liner?"

Bipolar fanbase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad