Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers earns 2-year contract extension, one-way deal

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Which top 6 forward do we have right now deserves a long term contract??

I want them traded, and I want them to rebuild the team. they're not winning anything with this garbage line up. MB still believes in this team, and thinks it's a bad year. He's going to 'retool' in the off-season, and at best we're a bubble team. Deslauriers isn't a piece that gets us over the hump. Let Carr play in his spot, or any young guy trying to make it, if he doesn't want 1 year.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
True the Habs have bigger fish to fry. But they need to sign 4th liners either way. Might as well sign the guy that's here right now.

If D'Lo is ready for an extension, you tell him to wait until the Top-6 is fixed first? He's good at what he does and it was probably an easy negotiation.

Well that's not really my point...

He got a 2 years deal, are the Habs going to be the kind of team where who is or isn't playing on the 4th line is going to matter within 2 years?

They could have used Dwight King or Garth Murray instead of Deslauriers all season long and they would still be a the bottom of the standing this year and D-Lo is much better than both. But does it make a difference in the current context? Nope. So is it going to make a difference next season? Or the one after that? I know the Habs brass are expecting a quick turn around, I'm just not that optimistic.

Does signing D-Lo hurt the team? No. Does it help? No, at least not with the current state of the team. And yeah, this is just a routine deal... but the philosophy applied to these deal by the Habs is almost cliché at this point.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I want them traded, and I want them to rebuild the team. they're not winning anything with this garbage line up. MB still believes in this team, and thinks it's a bad year. He's going to 'retool' in the off-season, and at best we're a bubble team. Deslauriers isn't a piece that gets us over the hump. Let Carr play in his spot, or any young guy trying to make it, if he doesn't want 1 year.
Deslauriers and Carr are both 26......I'll standby for your next excuse

BTW....I like Carr

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Would you prefer they trade for Kane and Grabner and try to make a run for it?

Season is dead. Might as well sign an energy guy for under a million. If he doesn't work out he's nothing to put in the minors.

In point of fact, if Kane is available for a decent price, I would trade for him and make sure I resign him. One of Bergevin's best trades was Petry for a 2nd and then resigning Petry. I think he intended to do the same with Vanek, but Vanek proved not to be worth the money he was going to have to be re-signed for.

Bergevin also got Danault and a 2nd for Weise and Fleischmann near the deadline. So overall (last year NOT included) he's been good at the deadline.

If there's another Petry type player who is undervalued, I'd risk a 2nd for them and try to resign them. The more assets we have the better position we'll be in to try to land the pieces we need.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Deslauriers and Carr are both 26......I'll standby for your next excuse

BTW....I like Carr

sorry, didn't mean to connect age. I'm just saying Deslauriers isn't worth 2 years, and if he doesn't want a one year deal, almost anybody can fill that spot. it's not a pressing need. whether it's Carr or a young guy in the ahl.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
sorry, didn't mean to connect age. I'm just saying Deslauriers isn't worth 2 years, and if he doesn't want a one year deal, almost anybody can fill that spot. it's not a pressing need. whether it's Carr or a young guy in the ahl.
Ya but 2yrs isn't cap crippling.....it's really negligible. Guy wants to be here and is signed to a minimum salary, not much to hate here.

He truly plays like Gallagher but without the talent.....I'm all for that!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It's like the GM bought a nice set of rims for his piece of sh!t car.

A good move, but i don't really care. The team is still awful. I like to scrutinize the 4th line signings when the team is good.

So true.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Ya but 2yrs isn't cap crippling.....it's really negligible. Guy wants to be here and is signed to a minimum salary, not much to hate here.

I'm more worried about our top 6 and the state of our defense. With our without Deslauriers the habs are not going to move too much up or down in the standings. MB plays hard ball with our best talent and gives bottom six multi year deals.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I was fine when we picked him up, and fine when there were rumors he was on the move.

And I'm fine with him signing for 2 years at that value. Heart and soul guy, hitter, loves this team and a good addition.

This.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Would be easier to move on if our GM would actually do moves to improve the top 6 rather than the bottom 6.

Ha ha ha .

Not funny.

I know. That s why I said let's move on
MB needs to focus

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I agree, I like to see a guy like Deslauriers on a 4th line, he is versatile in that he can kill penalties, is a decent skater and is a big body that will not shy away from the rough stuff. One D-LO is more useful than the group of DLR, Froese and McCarron.

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he's been a good pickup for Redmond, would have rather seen him at 800K then 950K but 150K won't matter if we are near the bottom of the league in cap space again.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Would be easier to move on if our GM would actually do moves to improve the top 6 rather than the bottom 6.
I don't get it...does signing a depth player prevent him from doing other meaningful moves?

Reactions: Habs100

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't get it...does signing a depth player prevent him from doing other meaningful moves?
NO.

But the wait for next summer is starting to get old. Very old. I wont congratulate him for anything until he does something significant for this team. I don't give a flying **** about moves not improving the team.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
NO.

But the wait for next summer is starting to get old. Very old. I wont congratulate him for anything until he does something significant for this team. I don't give a flying **** about moves not improving the team.
Probably cause it's Feb 19th lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad