Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers earns 2-year contract extension, one-way deal

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
Fair deal. Fair player.

Too many bottom six players though...

At some point, we'll have to realize, we need the players that are currently in our top6, to be bumped down to a bottom 6 role.

Reactions: Nedved and HBDay

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Most people on this board for the last month and a half: "D'Lo better not go, he's one of the only guys who actually gives a s***. MB will find a way to fck this up again"

The same people now: "What's the use for another friggin 4th liner?"

Bipolar fanbase.

A fourth liner is a fourth liner. And we had plenty of those coming and leaving since Bergevin is at the helm. It's hard not to be cynical when you consider the total tire fire this whole organization has been lately.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Kind of hard to say it's a terrible signing while most don't think so.....but it is a terrible signing.
Not that Deslauriers doesn't deserve it, not that Deslauriers is a terrible player.

It's a terrible signing mainly cause it show that Bergevin didn't learn anything.

FIRST
This team has giant holes to fill and every dollars should be thrown at those holes and then you start signing those kind of depth player. What was the rush to sign him today, why not wait until the last week of June where you can evaluate what's out there on the UFA market to fill those holes?

You might say it's just $1M but that amount would have kept Radulov here last season. With those holes, every assets should be directed there first.

SECOND
Pacioretty, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Shaw, Lehkonen, Hudon, Byron, Scherback, Deslauriers
That's 10 wingers under contract for next year. There's 8 spots on a hockey team.

As of now, there's not even room for him. There might be, but MB could've sort this out FIRST and then sign him.

He could and should have wait after the draft cause the way things are going, we have strong chance to add another NHL-ready winger at the draft. That's 11 wingers....and i'm not even counting Carr or McCarron or any other prospect in the mix.

THIRD
As many, many, many move made by Bergevin......this stinks the typical "positive" publicity stunt.
Things are going terrible, TDL is in one week and Bergevin will have to face the medias.
Deslauriers is the flavor of the month and he's another local player and loved by many.

Do the Habs needed to sign a #10 wingers at this time of the year? Absolutely not. No team really need to sign a 10th winger especially midseason, especially a 4th liner.......but most of Habs fans liked it, the french medias loved it and that's why he got sign today.

Deslauriers at $950 000 isn't bad, but i look at the wingers available for next year.....I don't even put him in the line-up unless there's injuries or unless 2 or 3 of them are traded AND that's if we don't draft Tkachuk, Svechnikov or Zadina.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
A fourth liner is a fourth liner. And we had plenty of those coming and leaving since Bergevin is at the helm. It's hard not to be cynical when you consider the total tire fire this whole organization has been lately.

There are dozens of threads created weekly on here that are perfectly suited for expressing our generalized cynism.

This shouldn't be one of them. Deslauriers' deal is perfectly fine, money and term wise.

Reactions: 417

Jul 6, 2016
Kind of hard to say it's a terrible signing while most don't think so.....but it is a terrible signing.
Not that Deslauriers doesn't deserve it, not that Deslauriers is a terrible player.

It's a terrible signing mainly cause it show that Bergevin didn't learn anything.

FIRST
This team has giant holes to fill and every dollars should be thrown at those holes and then you start signing those kind of depth player. What was the rush to sign him today, why not wait until the last week of June where you can evaluate what's out there on the UFA market to fill those holes?

You might say it's just $1M but that amount would have kept Radulov here last season. With those holes, every assets should be directed there first.

SECOND
Pacioretty, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Shaw, Lehkonen, Hudon, Byron, Scherback, Deslauriers
That's 10 wingers under contract for next year. There's 8 spots on a hockey team.

As of now, there's not even room for him. There might be, but MB could've sort this out FIRST and then sign him.

He could and should have wait after the draft cause the way things are going, we have strong chance to add another NHL-ready winger at the draft. That's 11 wingers....and i'm not even counting Carr or McCarron or any other prospect in the mix.

THIRD
As many, many, many move made by Bergevin......this stinks the typical "positive" publicity stunt.
Things are going terrible, TDL is in one week and Bergevin will have to face the medias.
Deslauriers is the flavor of the month and he's another local player and loved by many.

Do the Habs needed to sign a #10 wingers at this time of the year? Absolutely not. No team really need to sign a 10th winger especially midseason, especially a 4th liner.......but most of Habs fans liked it, the french medias loved it and that's why he got sign today.

Deslauriers at $950 000 isn't bad, but i look at the wingers available for next year.....I don't even put him in the line-up unless there's injuries or unless 2 or 3 of them are traded AND that's if we don't draft Tkachuk, Svechnikov or Zadina.

A couple of wingers will be gone soon to get a centerman.....

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Good move here. We need more players with that kind of pride and heart.

For those complaining, you need to pick another target. Seriously. 950k for a 4th liner that hits, skates and chips in goals. Cant ask for more. I could not care less for a 5th or 6th round pick. That pick has 1% odds to make the NHL, let alone be effective.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
A couple of wingers will be gone soon to get a centerman.....

As i said.....you make those trade FIRST. Signing D-Lo could have easily wait until June 26th.

Duchene and most of the hockey world thought he was good as traded last year at TDL....everybody was sure that he wouldn't start the season in Colorado this summer. Don't be so sure of that.

And just out of curiosity...you need to trade at least 2-3 wingers to add D-Lo into the line-up.....which one are you so sure are not there next year?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Most people on this board for the last month and a half: "D'Lo better not go, he's one of the only guys who actually gives a s***. MB will find a way to fck this up again"

The same people now: "What's the use for another friggin 4th liner?"

Bipolar fanbase.
Nobody has questioned numbnut's ability to sign and find 4th line waiver wire players. ND has been a nice addition, but that says more about our team than his abilities, and I'm happy for him anyways. Are you sad your GM is getting trashed?

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Nobody has questioned numbnut's ability to sign and find 4th line waiver wire players. ND has been a nice addition, but that says more about our team than his abilities, and I'm happy for him anyways. Are you sad your GM is getting trashed?

This has nothing to do with being a Bergevin defender. A large portion of what he's done in the last couple of seasons is undefendable. We can trash as much as we want problems with talent evaluation, poor development in the minors, the never-ending inability to find big offensive producers, his infatuation with gritty 4th liners, and so on. There's so much that went wrong with this front staff.

But at some point, the negativity can't radiate onto every single decision made by him and his staff. You have to pick your battles...

I guess 15 years of reading this board is long enough to know that this won't change anytime soon.

Those of us who've been on here long enough know that you've never been a big preponderant of picking your battles with your criticism, so I doubt I'm going to get my point across anyway.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This has nothing to do with being a Bergevin defender. A large portion of what he's done in the last couple of seasons is undefendable. We can trash as much as we want problems with talent evaluation, poor development in the minors, the never-ending inability to find big offensive producers, his infatuation with gritty 4th liners, and so on. There's so much that went wrong with this front staff.

But at some point, the negativity can't radiate onto every single decision made by him and his staff. You have to pick your battles...

I guess 15 years of reading this board is long enough to know that this won't change anytime soon.

Those of us who've been on here long enough know that you've never been a big preponderant of picking your battles with your criticism, so I doubt I'm going to get my point across anyway.
It's a meh move really. Who cares about Dlo. I mean, good for him I guess, he gets financial security for two years, so in that sense I am happy for the guy.
That said, I couldn't care less about him. There are so many more important issues that having him in the line up or not changes nothing.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

FIRST

SECOND

THIRD

One would hope that you don't criticize this signing for the reason of "why would Bergevin do this now"

Maybe this is the start of the rebuild. if your starting from the bottom out you're starting with Price as a goalie and Deslauriers on the fourth line. You could build off that with Carr. And top it with McCarron.

Beyond that I'm not going to speculate line usage but going with the narrative that we lose Pacioretty and building off that bottom foundation you have (in order of bottom line to top line) Shaw, Hudon, Lehkonen, Byron, Drouin, Gallagher, Scherbak, and Galchenyuk.

All of a sudden you start to see hope, a youth movement. Add in the possible NHL ready player we may get this year and you see potential.

Look at Defense with Weber, Mete and Juulsen and you see the seed of something with Weber growing it,

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
One would hope that you don't criticize this signing for the reason of "why would Bergevin do this now"

Maybe this is the start of the rebuild. if your starting from the bottom out you're starting with Price as a goalie and Deslauriers on the fourth line. You could build off that with Carr. And top it with McCarron.

Beyond that I'm not going to speculate line usage but going with the narrative that we lose Pacioretty and building off that bottom foundation you have (in order of bottom line to top line) Shaw, Hudon, Lehkonen, Byron, Drouin, Gallagher, Scherbak, and Galchenyuk.

All of a sudden you start to see hope, a youth movement.
Add in the possible NHL ready player we may get this year and you see potential.

Look at Defense with Weber, Mete and Juulsen and you see the seed of something with Weber growing it,
That is hope to you?..Hope for what? Another bottom finish?
Sorry, but there's no hope in that list of players. I mean, we can't even point to one of those guys and say for sure they're a lock in for 60pts.
I am very high on Mete, I think he has a lot of potential. Am excited to see him develop over the years. Juulsen, meh, a bottom guy.
There is very little excitement in terms of prospects and youngsters, let alone hope. We do not have kids we can point the finger towards and say they'll be our strong core moving forward.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

All of a sudden you start to see hope, a youth movement. Add in the possible NHL ready player we may get this year and you see potential.

When you build a house, you start with the foundation....if you don't have one, you can buy and add as many walls as you want, it won't work. Now, Deslauriers is like a window here. 4th line guy doesn't change many things and he's not part of any rebuild.

But i guess this signing has the exact effect on you the Habs PR were looking for.

prohockey

Jul 2, 2012
nobody probably wanted him
Good for DLo. These players work their butt off. They grind and battle every night and it is a grind. To hear how people on here beat them up and knock them down is absurd. Not sure why those people bother to continue to watch.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
These players work their butt off. They grind and battle every night and it is a grind.

so what?.....that is what they are PAID TO DO!....that is THEIR JOB!

i don't want to hear about how hard their job is, when they are making the money that they are....you sound like MB!

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
When you build a house, you start with the foundation....if you don't have one, you can buy and add as many walls as you want, it won't work. Now, Deslauriers is like a window here. 4th line guy doesn't change many things and he's not part of any rebuild.

But i guess this signing has the exact effect on you the Habs PR were looking for.

When you build a house, yes, you start the build with the foundation, but you also plan and budget for the rest of it too. You don't put 100% of your thought, planning and effort into the foundation and then just worry about the rest of the house later. There is nothing wrong with signing a 4th liner before we address other, more pressing needs - the sequence doesn't signal priority.

As to your concerns about salary that you mentioned in your previous post:

1. If Deslaurier doesn't make the team the habs can send him down to Laval with zero impact on the cap, so there is no risk of this contract becoming burdensome.
2. Despite our larger holes elsewhere, we still need to ice a 4th line, as do all teams from contenders to those in the lottery. You said that $1M was the difference between Radulov staying and leaving, but you miss is that if we don't sign Deslaurier, we still need to sign someone to play in that role and that someone would likely make around the same. Best case scenario is if you can find someone who makes $650K to play on the 4th then you save yourself 300K. Not a big deal, but if that 300K becomes crucial, then (as mentioned) you can always send Deslaurier down and try you luck at finding an NHL capable player willing to sign for 650K.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
When you build a house, yes, you start the build with the foundation, but you also plan and budget for the rest of it too. You don't put 100% of your thought, planning and effort into the foundation and then just worry about the rest of the house later. There is nothing wrong with signing a 4th liner before we address other, more pressing needs - the sequence doesn't signal priority.

As to your concerns about salary that you mentioned in your previous post:

1. If Deslaurier doesn't make the team the habs can send him down to Laval with zero impact on the cap, so there is no risk of this contract becoming burdensome.
2. Despite our larger holes elsewhere, we still need to ice a 4th line, as do all teams from contenders to those in the lottery. You said that $1M was the difference between Radulov staying and leaving, but you miss is that if we don't sign Deslaurier, we still need to sign someone to play in that role and that someone would likely make around the same. Best case scenario is if you can find someone who makes $650K to play on the 4th then you save yourself 300K. Not a big deal, but if that 300K becomes crucial, then (as mentioned) you can always send Deslaurier down and try you luck at finding an NHL capable player willing to sign for 650K.

How many times in the last 5 years did we all thought "That move from Bergevin will be follow by something else it's obvious"....but nothing happen? It's a little bit like that here. If this signing is followed by the trade of many of our wingers, then it could make senses. But right now it doesn't.

1- Deslauriers has to go through waivers before being send down....Habs will keep prospect down instead of exposing their players. His contract isn't a burden, it's just unnecessary at this point in time. It's not like "we're screwed" because of this.

2- As i pointed out. Deslauriers doesn't even figure in my top 8 wingers for next year. We need to ice a 4th line and we already have more than enough wingers under contract to do that. Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Scherback, Lehkonen, Shaw, Hudon, Byron. That's 8.....with Drouin it's 9. If we picked up a Top W at the draft it's 10. If Habs trade Pacioretty for a center, Drouin will take his place on the wing as he should.

It's just so typical of Bergevin of making those signing before taking care of the most important things.
Even inside the organisation.....i think Bergevin should've taking care of Danault ahead of Deslauriers and evaluate what kind of money is left to sign depth players.

We have 0 center sign for next season....then he goes out and sign another depth winger while having already 8-9 wingers under contract?

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad