Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers earns 2-year contract extension, one-way deal

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
True the Habs have bigger fish to fry. But they need to sign 4th liners either way. Might as well sign the guy that's here right now.

If D'Lo is ready for an extension, you tell him to wait until the Top-6 is fixed first? He's good at what he does and it was probably an easy negotiation.
yeah, seems to me these are the types of deal you get out of the way first.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Perfect 4th Liner who hits, scores the occasional goal, protects teammates and kills penalties. No brainer

Reactions: Runner77

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
It just means that Marc Bergevin is the GM of this team until further notice.
Though I don’t think he is going anywhere signing a 4th liner extension certainly is not indicative of that.

Gauthier made moves at the deadline and was let go in the offseason no?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yes lets make sure to lock up the plugs rather than make any significant changes to this shit team.

Reactions: Et le But

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would have gone longer term, but am satisfied with this. I would like to see Carr and Deslaurier on the wings of the 4th line all year.

What numbers could they put up over a full season?

I would of given him a 3 or 4 year deal too but he likely would be asking for more AAV. We were able to get Byron for 3 years at $1.17M when he was age 27. Deslaurier is also age 27 next year. I think he's a solid piece and I like his game. He keeps it simple and finishes his checks. He provides some scoring on the 4th line and is smack in the middle of his prime where he has matured into who is is today. I would of given him a $1.2M deal for 3 or years if he would of taken it.

I expect him to continue to finish his checks and be one of the leaders in the league in hits. While he is able to score 5-10 goals and maybe 20 pts

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I would of given him a 3 or 4 year deal too but he likely would be asking for more AAV. We were able to get Byron for 3 years at $1.17M when he was age 27. Deslaurier is also age 27 next year. I think he's a solid piece and I like his game. He keeps it simple and finishes his checks. He provides some scoring on the 4th line and is smack in the middle of his prime where he has matured into who is is today. I would of given him a $1.2M deal for 3 or years if he would of taken it.

I expect him to continue to finish his checks and be one of the leaders in the league in hits. While he is able to score 5-10 goals and maybe 20 pts

Yeah i wouldn't have give 3 or 4 years for a guy who had a good month in his entire career.

He got 1 points in his last 12 games....he's a good 4th liner mainly cause he's really physical, but let's not blow things out of proportion here. He was the flavor of the month but if we look at his body of work his entire career, even 2 years is pushing it.

Reactions: Et le But

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
watch him start to ****ing suck now

I wanted a longer term deal. But keeping a player hungry is a legitimate reason to go shorter. This is a pretty short term deal.

If he starts to suck he'll be in the stands or in Laval and won't get another NHL contract. He still has plenty of incentive to play hard.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You sincerely don't feel that this organization has historically prioritized acquiring/locking up role players?

Not saying this is what happened here necessarily, but would it really surprise you? It's been MB's MO his entire tenure.
I sincerely believe this organization has bigger issues and priorities at play than the recent signing of Nicholas Deslauriers yes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah i wouldn't have give 3 or 4 years for a guy who had a good month in his entire career.
He got 1 points in his last 12 games....he's a good 4th liner mainly cause he's really physical, but let's blow things out of proportion here. He was the flavor of the month but if we look aat his body of work his entire career, even 2 years is pushing it.

You missed showing that it was $1.2M and not a $2M+ type contract. If it don't work out, you end up having a solid asset for the AHL where his salary can be burred. Byron had 18 pts in 62 games and he got a 3 year deal. It's a similar type move. I would of had no problem giving him a 3 or 4 year deal at something just over $1M. He's age 27 next year and a 4 year deal takes him to 30.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You missed showing that it was $1.2M and not a $2M+ type contract. If it don't work out, you end up having a solid asset for the AHL where his salary can be burred. Byron had 18 pts in 62 games and he got a 3 year deal. It's a similar type move. I would of had no problem giving him a 3 or 4 year deal at something just over $1M. He's age 27 next year and a 4 year deal takes him to 30.

If you give 3-4 years for a plug....you'll end up giving 8 years to guys like Lehkonen
Galchenyuk got 3 years.....

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Love the overall attitude in this thread.....good signing and perfect term. 3yrs would've been too much, really like this deal, player plays with the CH tattooed on the heart

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Dime a dozen guy, if i'm being generous, and he has done nothing to warrant a 2 year contract. We have no top 6, who cares about the bottom six? we're as bad as the oilers.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You sincerely don't feel that this organization has historically prioritized acquiring/locking up role players?

Not saying this is what happened here necessarily, but would it really surprise you? It's been MB's MO his entire tenure.
Price long term
Subban long term
Pacioretty long term
Gallagher long term
Petry long term
Drouin long term

Seems we've signed a lot of core players long term

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Dime a dozen guy, if i'm being generous, and he has done nothing to warrant a 2 year contract. We have no top 6, who cares about the bottom six? we're as bad as the oilers.
Which top 6 forward do we have right now deserves a long term contract??

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
No problems with this signing. Term and AAV are fine. With McCarron, DLR, Carr, and LShaw having expiring contracts, I wonder if one of them is the odd man out now.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Would you prefer they trade for Kane and Grabner and try to make a run for it?

Season is dead. Might as well sign an energy guy for under a million. If he doesn't work out he's nothing to put in the minors.

Reactions: jaffy27

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I was fine when we picked him up, and fine when there were rumors he was on the move.

And I'm fine with him signing for 2 years at that value. Heart and soul guy, hitter, loves this team and a good addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad