Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Aube-Kubel new contract 2 x 1.075AAV

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Only way I re-sign Pitlick is if we sell high on Laughton this summer. Which I dont expect. Its too shrewd for Chuck.
They won't trade Laughton because he is another option at C which we need especially due to the uncertainly of Patrick.

Just think, Patrick remains on the shelf and we have an injury to Couts, Hayes or Frost.....with Laughton gone we are back to Giroux at C AND Bunny as #4C.

If we did trade Laughton, we would realistically go after a depth C......and we all know who 2 of them are for options. So I would rather keep Laughton than risk re-signing Thompson or Grant....lol. Even if it costs us a pick.

I just don't think we need to sign another winger at all.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Everything is conjecture at this time. We’ll get clarification by the time that the draft ends. Just a hunch butI think that JVR is leaving town; possibly for a veteran center with an equal salary to a team that needs scoring and won’t mind his defensive shortcomings.
There are going to be openings this year until the newbies get some seasoning in the professional game.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Under this scenario, Tri, is Frost your 3C?
Of course. Though I have said that we would have no "stacked" 1st line and my PERSONAL lines would be:

Lindblom Couts Jake- 2 way "heavy" line
Giroux Frost TK- OZ faceoff line who wants to play with speed
JVR Hayes Farabee- Puck Hog line
Raff Laughton NAK -Damn good 4th line

And we know Frost would still be 3rd...maybe even 4th in ES TOI for our C.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pitlick is better than Bunnaman and Twarynski. Laczynski will need AHL time. Who knows what Sandin will do, but he's probably going to have to start in the AHL. Patrick may never play for this team again. If people beat him out, Pitlick will be easy to trade. But he's an effective bottom-six player who I think gets overlooked because people love the mystery box.

I'm not sure about that next season, Pitlick is what he is, a fast high energy player with below average puck skills and offensive instincts. He's coming off one of his two good seasons (with 2017-18), will be 29 and is injury prone.

If the Flyers didn't have great young forward depth, he'd be a good signing, but I'm not sold that he's better than the alternatives. Sandin is a late bloomer who brings similar qualities (high motor, intense forechecker) and potentially better offensive skills, and after 100 SHL games, doubtful he's coming over to play in the AHL at 24. NAK does everything Pitlick does but better. And Pitlick is a RW only, so he doesn't provide flexibility. Laczynski is a 4 yr college senior who is on the cusp of being a NHL player and can play center as well as RW.

If the Flyers want a veteran bottom six forward to go with Raffl, they should be looking for an upgrade over Pitlick, Thompson or Grant, ideally a veteran on a one year deal who plays center and RW and can be picked up at a reasonable price.

Reactions: pit and Magua

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Of course. Though I have said that we would have no "stacked" 1st line and my PERSONAL lines would be:

Lindblom Couts Jake- 2 way "heavy" line
Giroux Frost TK- OZ faceoff line who wants to play with speed
JVR Hayes Farabee- Puck Hog line
Raff Laughton NAK -Damn good 4th line

And we know Frost would still be 3rd...maybe even 4th in ES TOI for our C.

Thanks, Tri. I am on board with this with the view that Patrick and Frost will be the best-scenario options for "3C" (I like that you aren't overemphasizing tiers), and if both push their way onto the team then it's a happily tough decision. Having Giroux on that line also alleviates some of the faceoff pressure. As well, Bunnaman and Laczynski are viable alternatives for 4C.

The 1C line is obviously talented and (healthy) Lindblom will complement Couturier's Selke-winning (typing that makes me smile) 2-way play. It isn't, however, the offensive dynamo that one covets for a 1C line on a seriously contending team. Look at me selling them short already! I just envision lots of OZ time and high-grade chances that don't find the back of the net. But I'm a pessimist at heart about this team, so grains of salt for everyone.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm not sure about that next season, Pitlick is what he is, a fast high energy player with below average puck skills and offensive instincts. He's coming off one of his two good seasons (with 2017-18), will be 29 and is injury prone.

If the Flyers didn't have great young forward depth, he'd be a good signing, but I'm not sold that he's better than the alternatives. Sandin is a late bloomer who brings similar qualities (high motor, intense forechecker) and potentially better offensive skills, and after 100 SHL games, doubtful he's coming over to play in the AHL at 24. NAK does everything Pitlick does but better. And Pitlick is a RW only, so he doesn't provide flexibility. Laczynski is a 4 yr college senior who is on the cusp of being a NHL player and can play center as well as RW.

If the Flyers want a veteran bottom six forward to go with Raffl, they should be looking for an upgrade over Pitlick, Thompson or Grant, ideally a veteran on a one year deal who plays center and RW and can be picked up at a reasonable price.
I get where you're coming from. But I also think Pitlick is a pretty effective bottom-six wing who had a good playoffs and I wouldn't completely write off bringing him back on a cheap one-year deal. If the team is that confident in Sandin jumping straight into their lineup, though, then fine. I'll agree that there probably isn't room for both Pitlick and Sandin on the NHL roster.

Reactions: renberg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thanks, Tri. I am on board with this with the view that Patrick and Frost will be the best-scenario options for "3C" (I like that you aren't overemphasizing tiers), and if both push their way onto the team then it's a happily tough decision. Having Giroux on that line also alleviates some of the faceoff pressure. As well, Bunnaman and Laczynski are viable alternatives for 4C.

The 1C line is obviously talented and (healthy) Lindblom will complement Couturier's Selke-winning (typing that makes me smile) 2-way play. It isn't, however, the offensive dynamo that one covets for a 1C line on a seriously contending team. Look at me selling them short already! I just envision lots of OZ time and high-grade chances that don't find the back of the net. But I'm a pessimist at heart about this team, so grains of salt for everyone.
Well before cancer hit, Lindblom was on a 30 goal pace.

But I do agree that I could see that line getting lots of chances and our GDT's be loaded with "ugghh...so close" when they are on the ice. Better than not getting any chances at all I guess.

Reactions: BernieParent

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No need to sign Pitlick when the result is:

NAK scratched
Raffl scratched
Pitlick himself scratched
Frost scratched/demoted

And it's not that Pitlick isn't a good 4th liner, he is. But we just signed NAK to be that 4th line RW. Pit isn't a NEED. And a reminder, he signed for 1 million on his last contract 3 years ago. He will be looking for 1.5+

NOW, if they traded Raffl tomorrow for a 4th round pick(just throwing out a number), and wanted Pitlick back at $1.2 million for 1 year and move NAK to LW....then sure, go ahead.

But with Raffl and NAK penciled in to be our 4th line wingers today, Pit licker just doesn't/shouldn't have a top 12 spot available to him. Move on.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
No need to sign Pitlick when the result is:

NAK scratched
Raffl scratched
Pitlick himself scratched
Frost scratched/demoted

And it's not that Pitlick isn't a good 4th liner, he is. But we just signed NAK to be that 4th line RW. Pit isn't a NEED. And a reminder, he signed for 1 million on his last contract 3 years ago. He will be looking for 1.5+

NOW, if they traded Raffl tomorrow for a 4th round pick(just throwing out a number), and wanted Pitlick back at $1.2 million for 1 year and move NAK to LW....then sure, go ahead.

But with Raffl and NAK penciled in to be our 4th line wingers today, Pit licker just doesn't/shouldn't have a top 12 spot available to him. Move on.
Pitlick is not a necessity. But he's also a good bottom six player who is cheap. For a team that has seen the likes of Weise, Vandevelde, Lyubimov and many others, I think some people are being overly dismissive about Pitlick's value as a cheap depth player.

Now, as I said to deadhead, if the Flyers are convinced that Sandin is a lock as a regular, then that probably does take Pitlick's roster spot. But to me, Sandin is an unknown quantity, and it might be better to plan for him starting in the AHL or as a spare forward. Cheap depth guys are pretty easy to trade when other players win their roster spots.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I will add, Tripod, that I don't consider Patrick in future lineups. He's too unreliable to pencil in.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
To add to my earlier "Black Aces" point, because I am sure dementia is eating my brain like candy floss, we can almost certainly expect a more compressed schedule next season. Every team's depth will be tested and this is where to exploit the embarrassment of (potential) riches.

I definitely feel like our embarrassments are going to be exploited either way.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't either.
OK. So I’m looking at:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Hayes-Konecny
Farabee-Frost-Pitlick
Raffl-Laughton-NAK
Sandin

I don’t factor in Patrick. And I don’t factor in JVR, because I’m convinced they’re going to move him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pitlick can't play on the 3rd line, he's an offensive black hole.
It'll be Sandin, NAK or Farabee/Lindblom sliding over.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
OK. So I’m looking at:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Hayes-Konecny
Farabee-Frost-Pitlick
Raffl-Laughton-NAK
Sandin

I don’t factor in Patrick. And I don’t factor in JVR, because I’m convinced they’re going to move him.
That's where we differ.

Until JVR is traded, he is on the team. And in no way do I way Pitlick penciled into the 3rd line. If we trade JVR, don't add a roster spot on a 4th line winger, use it on a 3rd line player at least.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Pitlick can't play on the 3rd line, he's an offensive black hole.
It'll be Sandin, NAK or Farabee/Lindblom sliding over.
Switch NAK and Pitlick, then. That part is inconsequential to me. I was merely trying to illustrate to Tripod why Pitlick on a cheap one-year contract may still have a roster spot.

And, for the record, I absolutely do not believe they will go into next season without the forward group changed via trade.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I’m on record as wanting Pitlick back. I don’t get the number of people who are writing him off. He was legitimately one of their most effective players in the playoffs & won’t cost much. I understand there’s a roster crunch, but he’s not a guy I particularly want to lose. Grant, Thompson, thanks, bye.

Roster space
Cap Space
Lots of youth

The last thing you do right now is pay Pitlik 2 mill per year,,, and Im a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad