Nicklas Jensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
You do realize that Jensen is just completing the first year of his ELC do you not?

Yes.

Which is why I think its absurd to make unlikely projections this early.

A consistent 30-35 goal scorer with a single 40 goal season under his belt would put him in the Kesler/Jeff Carter zone.

I would love for him to become a player of that calibre one day, but its not reasonable to make such projections right now. With the skills he current exhibits, take into account of relatively decent progression, I can see a 30-25 player in the making perhaps by the end of his ELC or when he reaches RFA.

More often than not, players hit bottlenecks rather than blossom into star players. I think its more reasonable to keep expectations tempered in the mean time.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
never really did too well in physics class, did you

I love theoretical physics, which is why I made that reference.

It's hypothetically possible; Horvat and Shinkaruk having 40-50 goal seasons.

But just like time and FTL travel, the feasibility is not observable on the horizon.

Willting*

Too conservative. 50 goals is more realistic imo.

This fanbase is out to lunch, this isn't a high scoring era.

How many 30 goal scorers are there this year? Not many, and the ones with those numbers are first liners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Jensen will be limited by his inability to create his own shot, and his lack of playmaking. Fix these issues and he goes to another level.

Just as an aside, there was some talk here, way back, about Jensen vs. Jurco as the two gamebreakers in the 2011 draft (having that type of ability). High ceilings, but high bust potential. How do people feel about this comparison now? Jurco, to me, definitely carries the puck better and passes better. Jensen has the better shot and a more direct game. Perhaps is better defensively. Your thoughts?

Willting*

Srry sharerfruck, didn't mean to quote that post. I was referencing the posters of the previous page who think Jensen is a 30-40 goal scorer. Besides you're reading my post wrong. Im supporting alphas post albeit it might not appear so.

Willting*

Jensen will be limited by his inability to create his own shot, and his lack of playmaking. Fix these issues and he goes to another level.

Just as an aside, there was some talk here, way back, about Jensen vs. Jurco as the two gamebreakers in the 2011 draft (having that type of ability). High ceilings, but high bust potential. How do people feel about this comparison now? Jurco, to me, definitely carries the puck better and passes better. Jensen has the better shot and a more direct game. Perhaps is better defensively. Your thoughts?

The boom bust for these two players makes sense. Gillis might have been reaching 5-10 spots for Jensen considering jurco went in the Second because of the aforementioned attributes you claim he shares with Jensen.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Precisely my thought on him.

He will make simple passes or passes when he runs out real estate.

He's more of a shoot first, shoot second, and worry later player; which isn't such a bad thing considering he does have one hell of a shot and release.

Jensen is more of a "how do I get a quick shot at the corners below the dot" player than "what's the best way to go about putting the puck in the net" player as of now.

Right now, in a full season, it's conceivable he can pot 15-25 goals with his current skill set.

To take his game to the next level, he needs to improve a lot of things.

I don't think he'll ever be a go to guy defensively; but he should be able to play an adequate 200-foot game.

Would much prefer him to improve his other skills. He's a guy that seems to love playing off the rush, so he has to continue to work on his acceleration, puckhandling at top speeds (including catching tough passes on the fly) and patience with the puck.

He also needs to improve his shot accuracy. Right now, he almost always goes for the "perfect shot", aiming for areas just within the posts and cross bars; those are tough to hit, and missing by an inch or two means missing the net completely. I think that will come with time though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Srry sharerfruck, didn't mean to quote that post. I was referencing the posters of the previous page who think Jensen is a 30-40 goal scorer. Besides you're reading my post wrong. Im supporting alphas post albeit it might not appear so.
Yeah, I caught that afterwards-- My bad

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
I love theoretical physics, which is why I made that reference.

It's hypothetically possible; Horvat and Shinkaruk having 40-50 goal seasons.

But just like time and FTL travel, the feasibility is not observable on the horizon.

Actually, that's not true. NASA is working on a warp drive. :)

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
He also needs to improve his shot accuracy. Right now, he almost always goes for the "perfect shot", aiming for areas just within the posts and cross bars; those are tough to hit, and missing by an inch or two means missing the net completely. I think that will come with time though.

With how many players we've had that shoot for the crest, this is a welcome change. I'd rather have a guy try to pick a corner and miss the net completely than one that makes the 0% play 90% of the time.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
The thread is about Jensen. Not Raymond or Booth or whomever else we're dredging up to complain about. Keep the other discussions to their appropriate threads please.

:handclap: Thank you. I cam here to read about Jensen, and I was like WTF!!, I literally scrolled up after two pages to check the thread title to make certain I was in the right thread.

Now, back to see if anything interesting can actually be found.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I wouldn't mind a future line
Sniper- 2way forward- playmaker with toughness

Jensen-horvat-kassian

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Is Ryder a decent comparable for the type of player Jensen projects to be?

If we're talking high end potential, I would say Jensen projects to be a James Neal type player. I used to throw out the Jeff Carter comparison but that's not really accurate. The more I think about it, the more I realize that there is so much of James Neal in Jensen. Both are just damn good shooters who always look to get into prime scoring areas. Neal isn't flashy or fast, neither is Jensen (not saying he's not a good skater, just that he's not "fast"). Neal isn't an explosive 100 point superstar winger, and Jensen won't be that either. Neal is simply a guy you put on a skilled line to be a finisher and you put on the top PP unit to be the designated sharpshooter, the same kind of role I can see Jensen filling for the Canucks in the future.

Canucksfansince1989

Dec 22, 2013
Now that he's had his 9 games, do you send Jensen back down to the AHL to avoid burning one year of his ELC even during a playoff chase? He had only 12:00 in ice time today (roughly) and was a -2, but the kid can score goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad