Nicklas Jensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I too like Jensen on RW more but with Vrbata and Kassian, the top-6 RW spots are filled.

I guess it would be better to just keep in Utica than try to make it work on his off side, unless he takes a big step this summer.

We're all hoping Kassian is ready to take that next step and hold down the 2nd line RW spot...but i don't think it's set in stone. He's not exactly an entrenched top-6 RW in his own right.

I do think that the best bet with the roster Benning is putting together, would be to have Jensen start off down in the AHL and continue building up some offensive confidence and the rest of his game. Playing with a talent like Shinkaruk down in Utica could be great for both of them really. And there will inevitably be injuries, they'll get their chances if they impress down there.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
We're all hoping Kassian is ready to take that next step and hold down the 2nd line RW spot...but i don't think it's set in stone. He's not exactly an entrenched top-6 RW in his own right.

I do think that the best bet with the roster Benning is putting together, would be to have Jensen start off down in the AHL and continue building up some offensive confidence and the rest of his game. Playing with a talent like Shinkaruk down in Utica could be great for both of them really. And there will inevitably be injuries, they'll get their chances if they impress down there.

You might be right about Kassian, but behind Vrbata, he's our best right winger. Burrows isn't taking Kassian's spot unless he has a really good camp and someone pushes him out of his natural left wing.

The 2RW is Kassian's to lose as there isn't really anyone to take it from him right now. There also isn't really any space in the logjam bottom 6 for him.

Kassian has to sink or swim in the top 6. I think it's work building that line around him.

Back on topic: Agreed that Jensen should start in the AHL barring a stellar camp.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I would be very disappointed if Kass didn't break out this year. It's time, he's no longer a kid. I have full faith he will though, expecting him to lead the team in goals (harder to say that now with Vrbata, still sticking to it)

Jensen I think can make the show too, he looked really good in stints, it's a long offseason.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Todd Bertuzzi didn't break out offensively until 25/26.

Kassian just turned 23 half a year ago.

I'm not saying we shouldn't expect much from him, because he has progressed exceptionally well last year - but rather be patient as these guys typically don't blossom early.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Soooooo..... what's the scoop on Jensen? Do people here think he'll make a solid push for a roster spot, or is he AHL-bound, awaiting a call-up?

I see him starting in Utica. Another year under Travis Green's teaching should help his all-around game, though it's interesting how Torts commented that his play without the puck was already better than Kassian's.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

There's no risk in Kassian failing as our 2RW, he needs to be given a legit chance.

If he swims, awesome. If he sinks, who cares, nobody here is expecting us to be a contender anyway. It'll be valuable experience at the very least.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
There's no risk in Kassian failing as our 2RW, he needs to be given a legit chance.

If he swims, awesome. If he sinks, who cares, nobody here is expecting us to be a contender anyway. It'll be valuable experience at the very least.

I completely agree.

As for Jensen, if he has a stellar camp, absolutely let him start the season in Vancouver. If he can't maintain, there is no harm in sending him down for a stint or longer. It a perfect season to let the young guys get some quality ice time both with the big club and on the farm.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Jensen building some momentum in Utica would be a great thing. Ideally him consistently scoring in the ahl would be great. He has two more seasons on his elc so why not ?

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Yeah, no problem with Jensen in the AHL for most of the year. He got a short stint last year, should have lots to develop/work on, and chances to play up with the big club during any injuries. Pretty ideal development situation.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Honestly, with how good of a teacher Green has turned out to be, and with Utica looking very stellar this season, I think Jensen should absolutely start down there. I think he can dominate the AHL this year and take that confidence with him to the NHL.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
We need any scoring help we can get!! he'll have a steep learning curve which would extremely benefit him for late into the season heading towards the playoffs.

He's about the same age category/experience (young scoring wingers) as Pearson and Toffoli and they were awesome, they had the youthful legs and jump that really helped the Kings in the long playoff series.

Jensen should stay with the big club, if anything maybe a month or two in the AHL, then call him up.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
We need any scoring help we can get!! he'll have a steep learning curve which would extremely benefit him for late into the season heading towards the playoffs.

He's about the same age category/experience (young scoring wingers) as Pearson and Toffoli and they were awesome, they had the youthful legs and jump that really helped the Kings in the long playoff series.

Jensen should stay with the big club, if anything maybe a month or two in the AHL, then call him up.
Not even close. Pearson and Toffoli both teared up the AHL for 2 seasons before making an impact with the Kings.

Jensen has just a good half a season in the AHL. He's not even close compared to those two, or even Vey.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Pearson didn't exactly tear it up, 19 goals in 64 games and 17 goals in 41 games, my MAIN point is age and some AHL/NHL experience.

Additionally, this team just wants to get playoff experience next season, not contend vs the hawks/kings/ducks, all the more reason to bring along a young player or two next season like Jensen.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Not even close. Pearson and Toffoli both teared up the AHL for 2 seasons before making an impact with the Kings.

Jensen has just a good half a season in the AHL. He's not even close compared to those two, or even Vey.

Didnt Jensen play against men in Europe? Or am I thinking of someone else... I forget what league he was in...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly, with how good of a teacher Green has turned out to be, and with Utica looking very stellar this season, I think Jensen should absolutely start down there. I think he can dominate the AHL this year and take that confidence with him to the NHL.

It still really depends on how Jensen looks in camp/preseason for me. If he comes in to camp on fire and lights it up on the scoreboard in the preseason, i think you'd be foolish to send him down for example. If he's looking confident and on a bit of a roll to kick of the season, let him build on that in the NHL. Realistically, that may not happen and that's when you send him down...but that should be the determinant, nothing set in stone beforehand.

Of course, you hit the nail on the head in that if he does need to be sent down to get some scoring confidence going and continue rounding out his game...it should be a much better situation for him this year for a lot of reasons. 1)not coming off a pretty major injury. 2)should be identified as a RW right off the bat which could really help. 3)more familiar with the AHL and Utica organization in general. 4)assuming guys like Shinkaruk are down there as well to start the season at least...you're potentially talking about the best linemate Jensen has had an opportunity to play with in the AHL, and just better depth in general with that new wave of "viable NHL prospects" heading in there for this season. Should be a good situation to get on a bit of a scoring roll there for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad