Nicklas Jensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
People might not like it or consider it good enough but guys like Raymond are absolutely 2nd liners in this league...

Production-wise yes, but do you really want a small perimeter player that falls down every 5 seconds on your 2nd line? Especially in the playoffs?

I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the prospects we have in our pipeline to fill out our 2nd and 3rd lines than I ever have. I'd much rather have a guy like Jensen on our 2nd than Raymond, that's for sure. Small sample size so far yes, but even if he can continue to put up half his production, at least he's a bigger body and can look dangerous skating into the slot without falling down.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Production-wise yes, but do you really want a small perimeter player that falls down every 5 seconds on your 2nd line? Especially in the playoffs?

I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the prospects we have in our pipeline to fill out our 2nd and 3rd lines than I ever have. I'd much rather have a guy like Jensen on our 2nd than Raymond, that's for sure. Small sample size so far yes, but even if he can continue to put up half his production, at least he's a bigger body and can look dangerous skating into the slot without falling down.

Yep. Raymond is a good player on a bad team, but a bad player on a good team.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

I don't really want him back. I'm merely pointing out that whether people like it or not, guys like Raymond, Samuelsson, Demitra, etc. are legitimate 2nd liners. And average 2nd liners at worst, not just bottom of the pile ones. The claim I was responding to was that the only 2nd liner we had was Kesler.

That said, we should take this to another thread if we people want to have this conversation.

Jake

Feb 28, 2002
Oxford, UK
www.pseudoart.dk
A bit off topic, but it's a curiosity. I was looking at Nick's dad, Dan Jensen's stats, and realized he had played 3 seasons against Jannik Hansen in the Danish league. Jannik was playing the mens league from age 15 to 18, when he was drafted. Dan Jensen retired that same year.

In fact, if Dan Jensen had taken another year, they would probably both have been on the National Team in 04-05.

Sources:
Dan Jensen
Jannik Hansen

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
A bit off topic, but it's a curiosity. I was looking at Nick's dad, Dan Jensen's stats, and realized he had played 3 seasons against Jannik Hansen in the Danish league. Jannik was playing the mens league from age 15 to 18, when he was drafted. Dan Jensen retired that same year.

In fact, if Dan Jensen had taken another year, they would probably both have been on the National Team in 04-05.

Sources:
Dan Jensen
Jannik Hansen

Awesome. It's like a six danegrees of separation-type thing going on.

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
Watched part of the game last night, thought Jensen was really good.

Was strong on the puck, battled hard against the boards, was good in positioning coming back. Helped create 2 chances in the short time I watched.

EDIT: By no means does this mean I'm buying into the 30/30 hype. But he's improved a lot as a young player since a disappointing AHL season last year.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Didn't Raymond have like 32 points in his first 45 games or something? Now he's at 43-ish in 72 games. Sounds like basically the classic Raymond season from the past 3-4 years. Start hot, then wear down and disappear.

I mean, contrasted to David Booth, at least he shows up before disppearing, I guess ;)

Hopefully Jensen got all his disappearing out of the way for his career with that 50+ game stretch in 2013...

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I still say he peaks out at 25/20 and has a few steady 20/20 seasons.

Why is that bad? I don't think it is for a late 1st.

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
I still say he peaks out at 25/20 and has a few steady 20/20 seasons.

Why is that bad? I don't think it is for a late 1st.

don't know how you would put him that low with what we have seen of him. He clearly has a great release, has great speed and there's no reason to think he wouldn't have a cap of 30 goals+ and 50+ points, doesn't mean he will, but saying his cap is 20-20 is definitely an overly conservative estimate.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
No. Just no.

How do you know? A 2nd rounder like James Neal has been able to score 40 goals in this league just by having the same qualities as Jensen: a lethal shot and ability to consistently get into the scoring areas. It's early, but I see no reason to completely rule out the possibility of Jensen one day scoring 30-40 goals.

25Bieksa3

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
No. Just no.

Anson Carter potted 30+ with the Sedins. Anyone with the right linemate can have a crazy good season. If Jensen sticks with the Sedins in a full 82 game schedule and injuries are kept to a minimum you have to admit he'd be able to produce more than Anson frickin' Carter.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
No. Just no.

what are you basing this assumption on? out of the 30-goal scorers so far this year, 7 - more than half - were drafted outside of the top 20. goal scoring talent is not determined at the draft, and numbers are very contextually sensitive coughkunitz. will Jensen be a league leading scorer? probably not. is there any reason he cannot possibly be?

no.

edit: incidentally, jensen has the 5th highest goals per 60 for all skaters with more than 5 games played!

stats are fun.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
How do you know? A 2nd rounder like James Neal has been able to score 40 goals in this league just by having the same qualities as Jensen: a lethal shot and ability to consistently get into the scoring areas. It's early, but I see no reason to completely rule out the possibility of Jensen one day scoring 30-40 goals.

I didn't rule it out.

I was responding to a poster who is blithely optimistic about everything and anything Canuck, consistently setting unrealistically high benchmarks for prospects and players.

Jensen may score 40 one day is like saying Horvat and Shinkaruk may score 40 one day. It's also like saying time travel or faster-than-light travel is on the horizon.

It's all in the realm of possibility, but it's silly to make such suggestions when he only scored a grand total of 3 goals in the big deal, while not yet exhibiting attributes of a 40+ goal scorer. Hell, he doesn't even look like a 30-35 goal scorer at the moment. That's not to say it's impossible, but anything beyond 30 goals would require exponential and unprecedented growth by Jensen.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Anson Carter potted 30+ with the Sedins. Anyone with the right linemate can have a crazy good season. If Jensen sticks with the Sedins in a full 82 game schedule and injuries are kept to a minimum you have to admit he'd be able to produce more than Anson frickin' Carter.

Anson Carter was once good enough that he was the main piece traded for Jagr (Carter for Jagr at 1/2 price in fact!).

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver
I don't know why anyone would think 30-40 goals would be a stretch. He quite clearly has the skills and smarts to be a consistent 30-35 goal scorer and perhaps hit 40 in a career year. Nobody knows yet if he will, but I think that's a reasonable projection.

If he plays on the right team with the right linemates, he could be around 40 goals consistently for his prime years. That would probably be the upper limit of his potential... many players never reach their full potential but some do.

Wetcoaster

I didn't rule it out.

I was responding to a poster who is blithely optimistic about everything and anything Canuck, consistently setting unrealistically high benchmarks for prospects and players.

Jensen may score 40 one day is like saying Horvat and Shinkaruk may score 40 one day. It's also like saying time travel or faster-than-light travel is on the horizon.

It's all in the realm of possibility, but it's silly to make such suggestions when he only scored a grand total of 3 goals in the big deal, while not yet exhibiting attributes of a 40+ goal scorer. Hell, he doesn't even look like a 30-35 goal scorer at the moment. That's not to say it's impossible, but anything beyond 30 goals would require exponential and unprecedented growth by Jensen.
You do realize that Jensen is just completing the first year of his ELC do you not?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Anson Carter was once good enough that he was the main piece traded for Jagr (Carter for Jagr at 1/2 price in fact!).

IIRC, Jagr was seen as a selfish pouter at the time, and was making like 11mil/yr. The Caps had to pay half his salary to get anyone to take him. That trade wasn't about Carter.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It's a stretch because he's hot right now.

If you are aware of his Grabner-like cold streaks, then 25-30 goals in a more realistic projection.

My opinions of his project will change depending on how much he improves during the off-season.

If he can add new skills to his offensive arsenal, improve on his current skills, skating, and/or get stronger, then it becomes more realistic to say "perhaps we have a 30-35 goal scorer in the making".

In the mean time, he is what he is; a hot rookie riding shotgun with Henrik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad