Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thanks for everything you gave this franchise Nick Backstrom. I'm still so happy you got to win a Cup in DC. It goes without saying that everyone knows you did everything you could to get back and be here. Go rest and be with your family. Your retirement ceremony someday soon will be a wet one.

Second greatest Capital of all time. Don't @ me!

defenseman Ed Jovanovski played in just 36 games after having the procedure in 2013, and forward Ryan Kesler never played again after his surgery in 2019. In his return, Backstrom played a total of 47 games before making the decision to step back from the game.

Maybe some day that surgery will save a career, but for now, its not a thing. May save him from being pain free when he plays with his kids though.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I'm emotional. Favorite Cap ever, and it's not close.

He fits right in there with the quiet, classy legends of the area (Monk, Ripken, Green).

The way they scripted it with the dual statements really feels like a calculated recipe for LTIRetirement.

And screw that 'Top 10 Backstrom Moments' video. They got 10 great ones (the slomo footage of that Finals saucer assist is bananas), but this'll forever be my favorite Backstrom moment.

Always in the thick of things, always the smartest guy on the ice, always tougher than he got credit for, always clutch, deceptively great shooter for a "pure playmaker," and on and on.

"But he commits a penalty in that clip!"

Maybe. But that's what clutch guys do -- everything it takes in the moment to get the job done. I f***ing love that moment. Everyone knows he's one of the best passers ever. That clip exemplifies everything else he was that's so overlooked by everyone outside of DC.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Nicky brought so much intelligence, focus, and creativity to his game, on top of being an absolutely world-class, hall of fame distributor of the puck and (until his body broke down) an outstanding defensive center.

He also had a sneaky good wrist shot, great hands around the net and was clutch as hell - as evidenced by his 4 OT playoff goals (as many as Gretzky and only Joe Sakic, Maurice Richard, Patrick Kane, and Glenn Anderson have more). And he was willing to practice the dark arts where necessary, like the time against the Rangers in the playoffs where he crushed Boyle into the boards to free the puck up for Ward to score a game winner with a second or so to go.

What I enjoyed most was watching the guy who was just consistently the smartest player in the ice, doing so much stuff with his head to beat players who may have been more physically gifted - and not just beat them, but make them look bad beat them.

Forget about how it may be ending - just remember how much the guy brought so much to the team and the game. And he did it with so much grace and class and so little ego. Over a 1000 points, a Stanley Cup, set-up man for what may be the league's all time goal scorer. If Adam Oates - who never had a Cup - is in the HHOF (and I think it's right that he is), no question Nicky should be too

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
In all honesty this is very Backstrom like if it's the end. No fan fare no retirement tour for the fans. Just a quiet hey I'm gonna go see how my hip responds and fades behind the scenes. He's never been one out in the limelight and being a quieter personality it always just worked him being in ovies shadow.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I hope Backstrom gets mental health help too because a situation like this can be creep up on someone facing the end of their career passion even if making millions of dollars.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
How great a run has the OV/Backi era been
A Playoff team in all but 2 years, arguably a Top-10 team in 10+ of those years
and then The Big One

Backstrom.Cup.Parade.jpg

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
...and quickly overshadowed by the mess in Ottawa. How fitting.

Pouring one out for a real one. Unless there's a significant strength training idea I've got to believe this is it. Way premature but I wonder if he'd be interested in the management side of things.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Got two tickets to the draft party at Kettler for Backstrom's draft and took my brother and that feels like yesterday.
I thought I remembered being at Kettler for that draft party as well. But my memory is shit and I couldn't remember if I actually went or if I was just confusing it with when I went to the 2007 draft party at Kettler (when the new jerseys were revealed, and Clark + others hilariously got caught under a falling curtain while standing on the stage during the BIG REVEAL).

I even searched for info on the 2006 draft party to try and confirm the details, but couldn't find anything. So thank you for putting my mind at rest. Yes, there was a draft day party in 2006 at Kettler, and I was in fact there, and my memory of watching Backstrom being picked live on television is an actual memory and not a trick of an aging, failing mind.

Reactions: usiel

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Best Caps C ever, AINEC. Taking nothing away from Ovie, without Nicky, 895 isn't even a dream. And you can bet Alex knows it. Here's hoping this doesn't deflate the team to badly.
Hes still on the team and can get team medical treatment while hes still under contract. I hope he takes this new role as a coach like Aaron Rogers is doing with his injury.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Got two tickets to the draft party at Kettler for Backstrom's draft and took my brother and that feels like yesterday.
I went to caps training his rookie season. I got so excited to see him and was of the few people who knew who he was. He seemed shocked he now had fans lol. I took a picture with him but this was before facebook and have no idea where it is now.

Reactions: RandyHolt

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
...and quickly overshadowed by the mess in Ottawa. How fitting.

Pouring one out for a real one. Unless there's a significant strength training idea I've got to believe this is it. Way premature but I wonder if he'd be interested in the management side of things.
He seems really well-suited for it - either in coaching or front office. A guy who thinks the game as well as he does is a natural FO guy

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If any other more discussed star player played with his finger looking the way Backstrom did in the Cup finals the main boards would still be hugging his nuts over just how tough he is.

Backstrom's been quietly and consistently soldiering through some badass stuff and it seems like nobody outside of the locker room (and us) know anything about it.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Ouch this came a surprise after all. Legendary player, possibly the most underrated C of the NHL for the past 15 years. Krya på dig Bäckis!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad