Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The concept of overpaying a guy who is past his prime to reward him for playing for less than he was worth earlier in his career is totally bizarre to me. Did somebody from the organization actually say that?
Not that I recall, but it was widely understood and commented on in the media. He was a BARGAIN his whole career and the franchise (aka Ted) wanted him to finish his career at Ovi's side and retire a Cap. So they paid him what his career was worth. It's smart; other top players see the way this organization treats its franchise guys and want to be here.

Because Nicky today is what he was even 5 years ago. IF we would release him today I promise you the line for him will be extremely short or even more likely non-existent considering his cap hit versus the product on the ice. I know are you probably the biggest fan of the #19 here, but nostalgia gets you nowhere.
He's not what he was 5 years ago, but he's probably better now than he was 2 years ago. You're paying for continuity, history, and organizational integrity. I get that folks here don't value that, but great franchises understand that it matters.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Guarantee you he would have at least thought long and hard about his future here, if 19 was let go after his 10 year deal expired.
Possibly. But then what would he do? Sign where Becky signs? If not then leaving Caps because Backstrom is no longer there to team that doesn't have Backstrom either doesn't make any sense.
I think the only way he was not resigning is if the team was really bad and had no chance or some kind of rift with the ownership or something.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Possibly. But then what would he do? Sign where Becky signs? If not then leaving Caps because Backstrom is no longer there to team that doesn't have Backstrom either doesn't make any sense.
I think the only way he was not resigning is if the team was really bad and had no chance or some kind of rift with the ownership or something.
Which, crapping on 19 by casting him off then, could have easily created….

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
And there's one other factor here, though probably not as big as those already mentioned: Nicky wants to be an agent when his playing career is over. Negotiating with him in good vs. bad faith could have long-term implications for the franchise.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
So what does everyone think here. Does he need more time? Is he finished as an elite player? Will he walk away if he keeps playing like this the entire season?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He could probably finish this season in a 3C role and retire.

With adequate wings its possible (and I doubt he would retire mid season). With wings like Phillips it will be hard to watch.

Reactions: BallardEra

Block

Feb 14, 2005
He looks like a fringe NHLer at this point. Brings nothing on offense.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
So what does everyone think here. Does he need more time? Is he finished as an elite player? Will he walk away if he keeps playing like this the entire season?
I think that given his situation, new coach with new system and god knows how many other adjustments its unrealistic to expect to see the full picture after only 8 games into the season.
Lets go back a little bit first. Last year it was not even a given that he can return to nhl after undergoing a procedure that only a handful players ever had before him and non have successfully come back from. He if fact back and from all accounts feeling much better and pain free. No one really knows how things will play out but its definitely way too early to make any assumptions. also he is also almost 36, i think either way expectations should be managed.

One thing people should not forget is that his value to this team goes beyond the scoreboard. Obviously one point in 8 games for $9m player is not going to cut it, but he also does not necessarily need to be a point per game player moving forward in order to bring value to this team.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He was done as elite player last season. Deserved a benefit of the doubt as he kept insisting how great he feels after a full summer but it's still the same old.

I'd propably care much more if this team was even close to a contender but right now i don't even mind much that NB19 wants his money and skates (soon-to-be 4C) limited minutes to keep playing.

Reactions: BallardEra

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think it's fairly obvious that #19 should be retired by the Capitals (albeit, so should #12 and #37, yet neither are in the rafters). I think the more contentious issue is whether Nicky will get into the Hall of Fame or not. Incredible career, but no individual hardware and "only" one Stanley Cup. I'd certainly take him over some of the recent additions, but there's precedent for similar players not making it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I know we all talked about it in more callous terms but this sucks hard. I’m surprised he was struggling that bad even though we knew he needed to slip down the lines, he looked visibly better than before.

Must just not be enough, real shame. Was my favorite player of this era and one of the underrated bests

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad