Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Pretty comparable talents though Zadina has a bit more of a nose for the net and goes to the dirty area more.

To me Zadina has a better sniper shot (places it well, has a deceptive and quicker release) than Suzuki and he is more of a hard worker type. Suzuki has more raw talent to lean on and hockey IQ, but he is more passive and likes to make the pretty plays over the simple plays. Speed is similar but Zadina uses it more.

Both will end playing in the big league on a top6 no doubt.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
To me Zadina has a better sniper shot (places it well, has a deceptive and quicker release) than Suzuki and he is more of a hard worker type. Suzuki has more raw talent to lean on and hockey IQ, but he is more passive and likes to make the pretty plays over the simple plays. Speed is similar but Zadina uses it more.

I agree and I like both players, but I think every GM in the league would take Zadina just because he plays a more hard nosed game and has just as much talent

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I'd love to see Kotkaniemi setting up Suzuki with a guy like Paul Byron adding speed and veteran wiliness to the line. Or Lehkonen, if Kotka gets faster.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I agree and I like both players, but I think every GM in the league would take Zadina just because he plays a more hard nosed game and has just as much talent
Idk it's close. Suzuki produced more, is better defensively and is a center. Add in that the O is a better league and that OS are a much weaker team and I'm not sure if it's that obvious.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Idk it's close. Suzuki produced more, is better defensively and is a center. Add in that the O is a better league and that OS are a much weaker team and I'm not sure if it's that obvious.

That and I bet people don’t know that Zadina is only 3 months older than Suzuki.

Suzuki was born in August 1999 and Zadina November 1999.

Suzuki was (just like Kotkaniemi in 2018) one of the youngest draftee of 2017. In my book, Suzuki > Zadina

Reactions: Runner77

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
That and I bet people don’t know that Zadina is only 3 months older than Suzuki.

Suzuki was (just like Kotkaniemi in 2018) one of the youngest draftee of 2017. In my book, Suzuki > Zadina
I think both will be very good players. Neither are clearly better than the other. Suzuki just has more tools imo.

Reactions: Runner77

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

you mean suzuki is 3 month older than zadina!

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I think zadina has the much better chances at becoming a better player on his shots alone. But other than his shots, I'm very skeptical what kind of player he will become. Not a good skater with weak one on one abilities.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I don't really care about Zadina, since we didn't draft him. I just hope Suzuki is at least a 30 goal, 30 assist player. He has the potential to be that or more. Imagine we got such a player for their full 15 year career in exchange for a washed up Pacioretty that only has about 3 or 4 good years left and may never hit 30 goals again. It's perfect.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
you mean suzuki is 3 month older than zadina!

That’s correct

I don't really care about Zadina, since we didn't draft him. I just hope Suzuki is at least a 30 goal, 30 assist player. He has the potential to be that or more. Imagine we got such a player for their full 15 year career in exchange for a washed up Pacioretty that only has about 3 or 4 good years left and may never hit 30 goals again. It's perfect.

I don’t really care about Zadina either. All I said is if Suzuki was born 2 months later he would’ve been drafted in 2018 instead. He barely turned 19 when the trade happened.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That’s correct

I don’t really care about Zadina either. All I said is if Suzuki was born 2 months later he would’ve been drafted in 2018 instead. He barely turned 19 when the trade happened.

yeah sorry I wan't trying to be antagonistic with my post. and you make a good point. I just want to appreciate Suzuki for what he is and look forward to seeing his development.

Also, it's impossible for me to compare high level prospects until they play at the NHL. Even big time Kotkaniemi over Zadina didn't really know how Kotkaniemi's game would translate to the pro level until we saw him in preseason. He didn't even look so good in the rookie tournament, but showed his abilities in the preseason. With time he should be a true two way center - true as in not just good defensively but also extremely good offensively. It's hard for me to know what will become of Suzuki or Zadina at the pro level until I see a bigger sample size at the pro level.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
yeah sorry I wan't trying to be antagonistic with my post. and you make a good point. I just want to appreciate Suzuki for what he is and look forward to seeing his development.

Also, it's impossible for me to compare high level prospects until they play at the NHL. Even big time Kotkaniemi over Zadina didn't really know how Kotkaniemi's game would translate to the pro level until we saw him in preseason. He didn't even look so good in the rookie tournament, but showed his abilities in the preseason. With time he should be a true two way center - true as in not just good defensively but also extremely good offensively. It's hard for me to know what will become of Suzuki or Zadina at the pro level until I see a bigger sample size at the pro level.

It’s just that a lot of people compared him to other 2017 draftee and I think it’s not fair. He clearly wasn’t ready and we saw that in the pre season games but he showed some good flash against NHL level competition so I’m not really worried about his game translating well to the NHL. He’s barely older than Zadina & Tkachuk. I’m more inclined to compare his development against these two rather the others (older) players drafted in 17.

I remember Martin Lapointe said two years ago that Juulsen was a sure shot NHL D (in his draft +1) and that we just didn’t know his ceiling yet. I think it’s the same with Suzuki. He’s a sure shot NHL player, we just don’t know where his development is going to bring him. I think it’s somewhere between 40-75 points 2-way winger

Reactions: 26Mats

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

You mean Suzuki is only 3 months older haha

Didn't know that though that's cool. Suzuki is really young

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Zadina just has more jam in his game. He scores ugly goals too, and they all count. Also I think both are wingers myself.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can't speak about Zadina, but it's interesting to try and figure where Suzuki's NHL upside is. He's just so smart and creative, can beat you with his shot or passing as both are top notch. He can slow things down and has the confidence to try things that most players wouldn't. That said he's not that big, while he looks to have improved his speed and skating, we'll see where his game is at next camp. I really hope they don't rush him but since it's the mantra of the Habs, I'm guessing they will.

Reactions: Andrei79

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
It we aren't top 5 it would be pretty damn cool to draft his little brother who is tearing up the OHL, he has the same smarts if not better, WAY better skater, taller, Pure center.

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Suzuki
Lehkonen/Danault - Poehling - Armia/Ylonen

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It we aren't top 5 it would be pretty damn cool to draft his little brother who is tearing up the OHL, he has the same smarts if not better, WAY better skater, taller, Pure center.

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Suzuki
Lehkonen/Danault - Poehling - Armia/Ylonen
If all the center pan out, that would be a disgustingly good lineup.

Reactions: savard95

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
That’s correct

And he would not have been drafted at 13 but easily top 7 , or even top 5 seeing how the 18 draft went with centres. As had he been in that draft he would have gone before hayton in my opinion .

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If we keep Domi at center beyond this year, then we likely develop Suzuki as a winger.
We would have Domi/kotkaniemi/poehling/danault as centers.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If we keep Domi at center beyond this year, then we likely develop Suzuki as a winger.
We would have Domi/kotkaniemi/poehling/danault as centers.

At the Junior level Suzuki is an elite scorer. Hopefully his smarts à la Bossy-lite will allow him to score at the NHL level too, if he has someone to get him the puck (Trottier role). I'll be happy if he scores half what Bossy did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad