Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Ok, just thought I should clarify since he’s not just an IQ guy, he’s an IQ guy with a high skill level.

Absolutely. Both are very much complementary with him.

He'll use his puckhandling skills with deception to force Ds to make decisions. And when they do, he's so skilled (and smart) that he'll either create space for a linemate or open up a shooting lane for himself. It's high end stuff, but it just needs to be complemented with some other skills so that he can be a 60 point+ guy in the NHL.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Absolutely. Both are very much complimentary with him.

He'll use his puckhandling skills with deception to force Ds to make decisions. And when they do, he's so skilled (and smart) that he'll either create space for a linemate or open up a shooting lane for himself. It's high end stuff, but it just needs to be complemented with some other skills so that he can be a 60 point+ guy in the NHL.
I think just his intelligence, skating, and skills will be enough for him to be very productive in the NHL myself but do agree there are aspects to his game that a little to be desired. For one, he’s definitely soft.

But I do think he’s too good for the OHL so kinda sucks since he can just kind of coast out there and still dominate- which is stagnating his development. Really want to see him playing in a highly competitive and physical environment and see how he reacts because that’s the NHL. Hopefully we see that for him at the WJC as I think it’s what he needs and he’s just not getting it now.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think just his intelligence, skating, and skills will be enough for him to be very productive in the NHL myself but do agree there are aspects to his game that a little to be desired. For one, he’s definitely soft.

But I do think he’s too good for the OHL so kinda sucks since he can just kind of coast out there and still dominate- which is stagnating his development. Really want to see him playing in a highly competitive and physical environment and see how he reacts because that’s the NHL. Hopefully we see that for him at the WJC as I think it’s what he needs and he’s just not getting it now.

Yeah, you have to think that if Hudon could pace for 35 points with Plekanec on an awful team, Suzuki should at least be a 50 point player.

I'm not a fan of him being back in the OHL either. There's still some stuff that he could try to apply, but there's no perogative to do it as he can score points the junior way. If he could play in the AHL, he wouldn't have a choice but to work on these things.

Reactions: Bloumeister

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, you have to think that if Hudon could pace for 35 points with Plekanec on an awful team, Suzuki should at least be a 50 point player.

I'm not a fan of him being back in the OHL either. There's still some stuff that he could try to apply, but there's no perogative to do it as he can score points the junior way. If he could play in the AHL, he wouldn't have a choice but to work on these things.
Agreed 100%

Reactions: Andrei79

i am papa bear

Dec 2, 2014

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

That was hardly intentional on Suzuki’s part lol. But he can take a hit. Got destroyed once tonight on a 5 on 3 zone entry where the Dman left his ice to crunch him and he finished his shift and didn’t miss a shift or seem worse for wear.

But I do recall he won the OHL equivalent to the lady byng for least penalties, so that should tell you that he is kind of soft (but highly intelligent as well).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That was from last year. We probably have something more recent.

Loving how he's come out of the gate. The question is -- did he really need another year in juniors?

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I dont get the hes too small comments.
He is tremendously talended and smart but has to get stronger and a bit faster as many 19 yrs old kids... his speed\strength isnt overall bad but will need to get better for the NHL, there is no hurry, even if he spends 1 year in the AHL its allright, no need to rush him...

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
That was from last year. We probably have something more recent.

Loving how he's come out of the gate. The question is -- did he really need another year in juniors?

I wish the NHL could come to an agreement with the CHL to allow each team with one underage spot where they can send a CHL eligible prospect to the AHL instead. There are some prospects who really dont benefit from being sent back to the CHL. Detroit got lucky Zadina's deal with the Mooseheads resulted in him being eligible to go to the AHL instead of back to the Q.

Reactions: Runner77

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I wish the NHL could come to an agreement with the CHL to allow each team with one underage spot where they can send a CHL eligible prospect to the AHL instead. There are some prospects who really dont benefit from being sent back to the CHL. Detroit got lucky Zadina's deal with the Mooseheads resulted in him being eligible to go to the AHL instead of back to the Q.

Been saying this for years. They need an exemption list for in betweeners. Think Cody Glasss or Morgan Frost etc also belong in Juniors? It’s more for the junior leagues benefit to have these high skilled players stuck in their league than it is for these players development IMO.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
That was hardly intentional on Suzuki’s part lol. But he can take a hit. Got destroyed once tonight on a 5 on 3 zone entry where the Dman left his ice to crunch him and he finished his shift and didn’t miss a shift or seem worse for wear.

But I do recall he won the OHL equivalent to the lady byng for least penalties, so that should tell you that he is kind of soft (but highly intelligent as well).

Used to be that winning that award / equivalent, just marked the guy as a major softie. Now though, very few players have fights in their score sheet and minor penalties are usually for hooks and slashes, not roughing. So now to me it really just means the guy is always in position so that he doesnt take a lazy type of penalty, and that the guy has discipline.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Used to be that winning that award / equivalent, just marked the guy as a major softie. Now though, very few players have fights in their score sheet and minor penalties are usually for hooks and slashes, not roughing. So now to me it really just means the guy is always in position so that he doesnt take a lazy type of penalty, and that the guy has discipline.

Completely agree. There’s a difference betweeen being soft and not taking dumb penalties. There are a lot of great examples of guys who can play hard but stay within the rules. Think Pavel Datzyuk was soft or Martin St. Louis? Or nominees like RoR, Barkov, Tarasenko or Kopitar?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Been saying this for years. They need an exemption list for in betweeners. Think Cody Glasss or Morgan Frost etc also belong in Juniors? It’s more for the junior leagues benefit to have these high skilled players stuck in their league than it is for these players development IMO.
The problem is that it's those super-talents that attract fans at the arena. There's no way CHL teams would accept such a deal unless its for a ridiculous price.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The problem is that it's those super-talents that attract fans at the arena. There's no way CHL teams would accept such a deal unless its for a ridiculous price.

I’m aware that’s the issue. NHL isn’t punching too hard if at all against it either. Need talent to develop talent. Doesn’t mean that it doesn’t or can’t impede growth of a handful of prospects every year. Some kids would be far better off in the AHL and slowly transition to a mans league rather than be thrown in the fire of the NHL straight out of the Junior ranks.

It’s like forbidding honour rule students from going to College in order to excel in highschool for one more year.

Reactions: Andrei79

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
The current deal is a courtesy to junior hockey and I am not even sure it would pass a court test as it basically disallows a 19 years old the right to earn a paycheck as a pro for some monopolistic reasons.

I am pretty sure they could amend it without paying a ridiculous price.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
how would you guys compare Suzuki to Zadina? Style wise and who's better...wise.
Suzuki is further in development, he isn't far from the NHL, I'd say Zadina atleast need one more year after this years development so maybe Suzuki has skills, speed, and vision and Zadina is on that stage of improving those what Suzuki has.

IMO

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If the CHL accepted prospect to be recalled during the season, like we are doing with the AHL. It would attract a lot of the best prospects in their league. It's a win-win for everyone

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If the CHL accepted prospect to be recalled during the season, like we are doing with the AHL. It would attract a lot of the best prospects in their league. It's a win-win for everyone

Insurance would probably be a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad