Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It we aren't top 5 it would be pretty damn cool to draft his little brother who is tearing up the OHL, he has the same smarts if not better, WAY better skater, taller, Pure center.

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Suzuki
Lehkonen/Danault - Poehling - Armia/Ylonen

Baby bro's really tearing it up, not sure he doesn't go top 5!

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Baby bro's really tearing it up, not sure he doesn't go top 5!
I agree that he’s top5 material talent, but theres ALOT insane prospect in this coming draft, specially down the middle! He’s so fluid tho. Having the 2 suzuki in the same line would be very good for the marketing, specially when you consider their Hockey IQ and what they could do together!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I was thinking about that too. If his baby brother keeps up this pace, he is a top 5 pick in the next draft.

Nick's being outscored by his younger brother... But to be fair there are 5 players on Ryan's team in the top 30 OHL scorers. Having said that, Ryan does lead his team in scoring.

RankPos#InactiveRookieNameTeamGPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGPPASHGSHASOG
7C61 Suzuki, RyanBAR1151621106061134
24C37 Suzuki, NickOS10791674130054
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nick's being outscored by his younger brother... But to be fair there are 5 players on Ryan's team in the top 30 OHL scorers. Having said that, Ryan does lead his team in scoring.

7C61Suzuki, RyanBAR1151621106061134
24C37Suzuki, NickOS10791674130054
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I value goal scoring power as it typically transitions well into the NHL. Who has the better shot? I'm assuming their skating is similar?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Idk it's close. Suzuki produced more, is better defensively and is a center. Add in that the O is a better league and that OS are a much weaker team and I'm not sure if it's that obvious.

OT but, before anyone posts stupidities, there are more goals scored in the OHL than the 'Q, despite what most "experts" think.

Still Suzuki is really intriguing. The WJC should be fun to follow with Poeling, Suzuki, Olofsson, Ylonen, Ikonen, Primeau, Brook and potentially Kotka, Romanov and Teasdale.

Reactions: savard95

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I value goal scoring power as it typically transitions well into the NHL. Who has the better shot? I'm assuming their skating is similar?

Honestly I haven't seen Ryan play except for a few highlights here and there. I remember when we missed out on Mikko Koivu by one spot and wound up with Komisarek. In general I find Timmins and Bergevin pretty aggressive when he wants a player

But, this year, perhaps more than any, I have absolutely no idea where we'll be drafting. We could make the playoffs, we could nose dive. If I had to put down money on a particular spot, I'd say 13h overall. My heart/gut actually thinks we'll make the playoffs (unfortunately). But my head says that's unlikely.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
OT but, before anyone posts stupidities, there are more goals scored in the OHL than the 'Q, despite what most "experts" think.

Still Suzuki is really intriguing. The WJC should be fun to follow with Poeling, Suzuki, Olofsson, Ylonen, Ikonen, Primeau, Brook and potentially Kotka, Romanov and Teasdale.

I thibnk the Q has become the lowest scoring junior league in Canada which is hilarious lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly I haven't seen Ryan play except for a few highlights here and there. I remember when we missed out on Mikko Koivu by one spot and wound up with Komisarek. In general I find Timmins and Bergevin pretty aggressive when he wants a player

But, this year, perhaps more than any, I have absolutely no idea where we'll be drafting. We could make the playoffs, we could nose dive. If I had to put down money on a particular spot, I'd say 13h overall. My heart/gut actually thinks we'll make the playoffs (unfortunately). But my head says that's unlikely.

Look at the shot totals in your previous post. Nick is clearly a shooter! Based on already having Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Domi, Danault and a few other prospects who can suprise, I prefer to go after a PMD/LD or a goal scoring winger. N Suzuki is a good start and I do think he plays wing in the NHL

I have no idea on where we finish for sure. I have the Habs picking 5-10 range or a wild card spot. It's just too hard to predict

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Look at the shot totals in your previous post. Nick is clearly a shooter! Based on already having Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Domi, Danault and a few other prospects who can suprise, I prefer to go after a PMD/LD or a goal scoring winger. N Suzuki is a good start and I do think he plays wing in the NHL

I have no idea on where we finish for sure. I have the Habs picking 5-10 range or a wild card spot. It's just too hard to predict

The future dcore so far has Mete, Reilly, and Juulsen. So we need 3 more. (Brook and Fleury looking good, but haven't proven anything).

The future "c-core" so far has KK, Domi, and Danault, so we only need upgrades/someone to push Domi to the wing (4th line centers are a dime a dozen). (Poehling looking good, but not a slam dunk).

The future 6 top 9 wingers, so far has Drouin, Gallagher, Lehkonen, and Hudon. (Suzuki, looking good, Scherbak is a candidate, Byron and Tatar are borderline in terms of age).

So I would argue we could use elite talent at all 3 positions and wouldn't hesitate to take a player if I thought they were head and shoulders above all others, regardless of position.

Reactions: savard95

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The future dcore so far has Mete, Reilly, and Juulsen. So we need 3 more. (Brook and Fleury looking good, but haven't proven anything).

The future "c-core" so far has KK, Domi, and Danault, so we only need upgrades/someone to push Domi to the wing (4th line centers are a dime a dozen). (Poehling looking good, but not a slam dunk).

The future 6 top 9 wingers, so far has Drouin, Gallagher, Lehkonen, and Hudon. (Suzuki, looking good, Scherbak is a candidate, Byron and Tatar are borderline in terms of age).

So I would argue we could use elite talent at all 3 positions and wouldn't hesitate to take a player if I thought they were head and shoulders above all others, regardless of position.

I agree we can use talent at all 3 but this is my preference at this point and it has changed slightly from this summer...

1) A goal scoring winger. Someone like Zadina or Svechnikov. We need someone who can score 30-40 goals and help out on the PP. And his name is not Patch. We need someone young to fit our young core

2) A PMD at LD. We are stacked at RD but not so much at LD. A LD who skates well and can shoot the puck.

3) A center better than Kotkaniemi where we can go with ???? / Kotkaniemi / Poehling for many years to come. If the center has similar potential to Kotkaniemi, he better be a goal scoring threat!

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I agree we can use talent at all 3 but this is my preference at this point and it has changed slightly from this summer...

1) A goal scoring winger. Someone like Zadina or Svechnikov. We need someone who can score 30-40 goals and help out on the PP. And his name is not Patch. We need someone young to fit our young core

2) A PMD at LD. We are stacked at RD but not so much at LD. A LD who skates well and can shoot the puck.

3) A center better than Kotkaniemi where we can go with ???? / Kotkaniemi / Poehling for many years to come. If the center has similar potential to Kotkaniemi, he better be a goal scoring threat!

No argument of those 3 points. My comments:

#1) By your definition of young, for sure that won’t come from a UFA pool. I doubt it’ll come via trade so more likely it’ll have to come internally. I don’t think Suzuki will be that goal scorer but if we end up drafting Kakko, that problem is solved.

#2) I would sacrifice #1 if Suzuki or Poehling can get us a true LHD prospect. I am sure Poehling has decent value and since Domi seems to be doing fine and Danault is definitely staying with us two years more, Ryan may be moved. I think he is worth more than Suzuki.

#3) This also has to come from the draft. However, let’s just say we draft Kakko, I can live with Kotkaniemi/Domi/Danault as our top-9 if we can flip a player to fill a LHD spot.

I think Suzuki will end up a winger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

#1) By your definition of young, for sure that won’t come from a UFA pool. I doubt it’ll come via trade so more likely it’ll have to come internally. I don’t think Suzuki will be that goal scorer but if we end up drafting Kakko, that problem is solved.

#2) I would sacrifice #1 if Suzuki or Poehling can get us a true LHD prospect. I am sure Poehling has decent value and since Domi seems to be doing fine and Danault is definitely staying with us two years more, Ryan may be moved. I think he is worth more than Suzuki.

#3) This also has to come from the draft. However, let’s just say we draft Kakko, I can live with Kotkaniemi/Domi/Danault as our top-9 if we can flip a player to fill a LHD spot.

We see it similarly with how we see the current holes and how to address them.

What's your thoughts on Kaliyev? Seems to be a legit option based on where we can pick. 10-20 range

Reactions: sandviper

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Your #1 is the reason I really wish we had gotten Skinner at the price he was traded for. Also, given that Domi was on the block, I wonder if we couldn't have gotten him for a package including some of the following assets: our two early 2nd round picks, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Armia, Shaw, Byron. Would be great to have added Domi to our young core that still includes Galchenyuk. A first line of Drouin Domi Galchenyuk would be sweet. I also would have offered Duclair a contract. I would have seen if he was interested in a two year deal worth 1.5 million per year. The first year he would play in Laval, 20 minutes a night and work on all aspects of his game. Then, after he proved himself he would be in Montreal the 2nd year. Not sure if he would have taken more money, but being in Laval the first year over his current deal of 650k, but playing in the NHL. And lastly I would have offered Perron a deal for 5 million AAV. Being from here he may have come here. The more assets we have at forward, the easier it is to trade to fill our needs on D. There weren't too many good dmen available this summer. There were a ton of high quality wingers available at low prices.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your #1 is the reason I really wish we had gotten Skinner at the price he was traded for. Also, given that Domi was on the block, I wonder if we couldn't have gotten him for a package including some of the following assets: our two early 2nd round picks, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Armia, Shaw, Byron. Would be great to have added Domi to our young core that still includes Galchenyuk. A first line of Drouin Domi Galchenyuk would be sweet. I also would have offered Duclair a contract. I would have seen if he was interested in a two year deal worth 1.5 million per year. The first year he would play in Laval, 20 minutes a night and work on all aspects of his game. Then, after he proved himself he would be in Montreal the 2nd year. Not sure if he would have taken more money, but being in Laval the first year over his current deal of 650k, but playing in the NHL. And lastly I would have offered Perron a deal for 5 million AAV. Being from here he may have come here. The more assets we have at forward, the easier it is to trade to fill our needs on D. There weren't too many good dmen available this summer. There were a ton of high quality wingers available at low prices.

I respect fans who want us to get back into the playoffs but I rather get the missing pieces we need through the draft vs through trades or UFA free agency. I'm only willing to start talking trades and free agency once our future starts to look more promising and we actually have a surplus in assets to use in trades. Cap space appears to not be a problem moving forward.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Is this the new Halak, Ryder, and a 2nd?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I respect fans who want us to get back into the playoffs but I rather get the missing pieces we need through the draft vs through trades or UFA free agency. I'm only willing to start talking trades and free agency once our future starts to look more promising and we actually have a surplus in assets to use in trades. Cap space appears to not be a problem moving forward.

So you wouldn't sacrifice basically a Ylonen or Romanov plus a couple late round picks for 26 year old Skinner? Imo, even if Skinner doesn't resign, he will be worth at least a 1st at the trade deadline.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

We’ll see how this year goes first. If Reilly keep up his play we won’t need a LH PMD anymore. He and Mete can fill the top 4 on the left side for quite a while. Let’s juet hope Reilly keep his play up.

I could also see MB interested in a quantity for quality trade at the draft. We have a lot of depth at a lot of position and I wouldn’t be surprised if we make a trade where we acquire a 25 years old or younger quality piece for quantity at the draft. Think O’Reilly type where the Blues gave a good prospect, 2 middle 6 roster player and draft picks.

With Poehling & Suzuki coming in next year, we will definitely have the assets and depth to make a trade like that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you wouldn't sacrifice basically a Ylonen or Romanov plus a couple late round picks for 26 year old Skinner? Imo, even if Skinner doesn't resign, he will be worth at least a 1st at the trade deadline.

Nope. I hate middle of the pack strategy and trying to fill holes through trades. We have been doing this since 2012. Definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

I like Skinner but not willing to sacrifice prospects. All Skinner does is help us stay in middle of the pack even more and give us false hope.

Reactions: Acadien86

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Ryan as much much better skating in speed and ability. He’s a very fluid skater! In term in shot i’d even say they are pretty much on pair! I think ryan is the better player and has a game that translate better in the NHL! Time will tell, both are very good prospect!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
We see it similarly with how we see the current holes and how to address them.

What's your thoughts on Kaliyev? Seems to be a legit option based on where we can pick. 10-20 range

I think Kaliyev would be a better choice IMO than (Ryan) Suzuki for the draft based on needs. Of course, we'll have to see how the season goes in terms of development and choose BPA next June. Both are really close IMO and I'd be fine with either, though it would be cool to see the Suzukis united.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Kaliyev would be a better choice IMO than (Ryan) Suzuki for the draft based on needs. Of course, we'll have to see how the season goes in terms of development and choose BPA next June. Both are really close IMO and I'd be fine with either, though it would be cool to see the Suzukis united.

Yeah, having both brothers would be cool and I have thought about this as well. I do like the start Kaliyev is on but I guess if he keeps this up, he slips down to top 10 ish vs 10-20 range. I just hope we have options when it comes time for when we pick.

Nothing worse when all your favorite picks are taken right before it's your turn to pick.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

7C61Suzuki, RyanBAR1151621106061134
24C37Suzuki, NickOS10791674130054
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Barrie is an offensive powerhouse for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad