Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
These picks are nowhere near the final product. Most people knew kk was a project/pick for the future and that their were more nhl ready players and players further along in their development available in the draft, but many opted for KK anyway.

The fact that he pleasantly surprised last year and struggled some this year does very little to change that. I think a little patience along with some strength and conditioning with this player. I’m still a fan of the pick.
Struggled? He absolutely bombed. He could not even compete with run of the mill plugs like Thompson (35 years old), Cousins, and Weal for a roster spot. That is a very bad sign for your 3rd overall pick. Anyone who is not a blind fanboy is right to be extremely concerned.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Struggled? He absolutely bombed. He could not even compete with run of the mill plugs like Thompson (35 years old), Cousins, and Weal for a roster spot. That is a very bad sign for your 3rd overall pick. Anyone who is not a blind fanboy is right to be extremely concerned.
You've lost perspective.

KK is 6 months older than Kirby dach, a third overall pick from 2019 who has also hit a wall after looking very good in his first 10-15 games. 5 points in his last 31 games.

Go tell Chicago fans they have every reason to be "extremely concerned", they'll laugh you off their board, and with good reason.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You've lost perspective.

KK is 6 months older than Kirby dach, a third overall pick from 2019 who has also hit a wall after looking very good in his first 10-15 games. 5 points in his last 31 games.

Go tell Chicago fans they have every reason to be "extremely concerned", they'll laugh you off their board, and with good reason.

That guy likes to complain -- just look at his screen name.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Kovalchuk - Suzuki - Gallagher
Tatar - Domi - Armia
Drouin - Danault - Lehkonen
Poehling - Thompson - Weise

I wouldn't break up the Danault line, they work great together.

Once Drouin gets back I'd just put him on Domi's wing and hope it gives Domi a bit of a spark offensively, he hasn't exactly been gifted great wingers this years. Then I'd give them Armia for the size and fore-checking ability.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Armia
Kovalchuk - Suzuki - Lehkonen

Would be my top 9.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I think that trading Craig Rivet was one of Gainey's best moves.

One of the best moves from any Habs GM since I've been following this team, for sure.

For the record, I thought Pateryn would be the next Rivet. Of course, the league changed A LOT from Rivet's era.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Once Drouin gets back I'd just put him on Domi's wing and hope it gives Domi a bit of a spark offensively, he hasn't exactly been gifted great wingers this years. Then I'd give them Armia for the size and fore-checking ability.

Drouin - Domi - Armia

Would be my top 9.

I'd definitely go with that as well. Just wonder where Kotkaniemi and Caulfield will fit in at this point down the line? Obviously, Caufield bumps Lehkonen to the 4th line but, who does KK boot and where to?

I personally wouldn't trade Tatar as he's 28th scorer in the league and 8th best LW, just a point ahead of Pacioretty. Then, I consider Tatar higher up than 8th as LW in this league because he's more complete a player than Miller, two ranks ahead of him in current production level (but it's close).

If MON can re-sign him for four years like vegas did with Pacioretty, at 6.25M - 6.5M, MON would have a great LW to help the kids at C progress and would likely, IMO, be part of a couple of long playoff drives before the end of his next contract.

Petry, I'd wait until the next trade deadline because we have absolutely nothing to replace him early next year and Romanov, if he comes over, will need a veteran to play with. Petry would be a good partner for Romanove early on as the rookie concentrates on the D side of his game to get his footing at the NHL level. Petry could concentrate on his offense with a D like Romanov as his pairing partner.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I'd definitely go with that as well. Just wonder where Kotkaniemi and Caulfield will fit in at this point down the line? Obviously, Caufield bumps Lehkonen to the 4th line but, who does KK boot and where to?

I personally wouldn't trade Tatar as he's 28th scorer in the league and 8th best LW, just a point ahead of Pacioretty. Then, I consider Tatar higher up than 8th as LW in this league because he's more complete a player than Miller, two ranks ahead of him in current production level (but it's close).

If MON can re-sign him for four years like vegas did with Pacioretty, at 6.25M - 6.5M, MON would have a great LW to help the kids at C progress and would likely, IMO, be part of a couple of long playoff drives before the end of his next contract.

Petry, I'd wait until the next trade deadline because we have absolutely nothing to replace him early next year and Romanov, if he comes over, will need a veteran to play with. Petry would be a good partner for Romanove early on as the rookie concentrates on the D side of his game to get his footing at the NHL level. Petry could concentrate on his offense with a D like Romanov as his pairing partner.
Petry is having a career year on a terrible team. Who knows how he'll play nexr year. This is the time to get a king's ransom for him: trade him now. We'll still have (be stuck with) Weber.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

get25

Oct 17, 2015

Drouin - Domi - Armia

Would be my top 9.
When Drouin was injured, Suzuki was far from what he has become in this team.
With Suzuki and Kovalchuck we basically added two top-6 in our team. Both are at a pace of 50+ points right now.
Armia and Lehkonen seems more like 40 points pace so on a third line with Domi.
Drouin - Suzuki - Kovalchuck

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

So we don't sell nor upgrade our line up for the next season. Talk about a waste of time for the fans.
We won't make it next year either with the exact same line up. You lose one of your core player for 20+ games and we miss the playoff.

And yet i'm agreeing with you that we can't really trade Petry nor Tatar because they are our top guy on offense and defense ...

such a painful team to be a fan of. Starting to feel the Minnesota pain.

At least I have my boy Big nick energy to make me happy.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
With Suzuki and Kovalchuck we basically added two top-6 in our team. Both are at a pace of 50+ points right now.
With the same linemates Domi > Danault. Danault should go on the 3rd.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

My idea is to spread out the offense and try to get a good mix of everything on the top 9.

In a best case scenario, we're closer to having 3 2nd lines than the prototypical line 1-2-3 anyway.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
My idea is to spread out the offense and try to get a good mix of everything on the top 9.

In a best case scenario, we're closer to having 3 2nd lines than the prototypical line 1-2-3 anyway.
Well first line is clear.
Suzuki - Kovalchuck is good chemistry.
So Drouin - Domi could redo what they did with Armia.

I see where you are going. May very well be what will happen.
Problem is Lehkonen seems to produce more on the left.

Actually, Kovalchuck was pretty good when he played on the right of Danault.

Last edited:

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
I am not thinking Suzuki will be a top center in the NHL, may be a Habs first liner but not in the NHL. I see him getting beat along the boards a lot and he is so so on defense. Pretty good at faceoffs but does not have top speed or first line stick handling skills. Hope I am wrong on this.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I am not thinking Suzuki will be a top center in the NHL, may be a Habs first liner but not in the NHL. I see him getting beat along the boards a lot and he is so so on defense. Pretty good at faceoffs but does not have top speed or first line stick handling skills. Hope I am wrong on this.
20 years old...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You've lost perspective.

Good post! But some Habs fans going to over react like they usually do. And then they wonder why players avoid Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad