Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Very hard to say right now. There will be up and down but he seems like a cerebral player who need time to adjust but ever time we've put him in a role, he took some time to adjust and then start being great. 4th line, winger, PP, center it's all the same, there was a learning curve which is good to see.

Now they have to stop playing yo-yo with him and keep him at center and give him some good wingers, good ice-time and PP time and see how things will improve.
With the news that KK is staying in Laval for awhile and with Drouin coming back (hopefully against the Blue Jackets today) we'll have:

Tatar Danault Gally
Kovalchuk Suzuki Armia
Drouin Domi Lehky.

That's a pretty good top nine and I'm more than happy with the centers.

Reactions: DangerDave

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
here in Montreal (or habs fan from anywhere) we have a fascination on trying to force players to stay since we seek so much that elite prospect.

I compare devellopement to having a ripe fruit.. some fruits take more time some less.. in any case.. most of the time you just need to be a bit patient to have the full flavour but cuting a fruit when its not ripe may have some short, medium, long to permanent damage.

lets be patient please. I know its hard in this market tough.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Did I say Kotkaniemi is a bust?

It is a horrible pick in hindsight when Quinn Hughes is looking like a stud #1 LD that would’ve fit like a glove next to Weber, and beyond.
These picks are nowhere near the final product. Most people knew kk was a project/pick for the future and that their were more nhl ready players and players further along in their development available in the draft, but many opted for KK anyway.

The fact that he pleasantly surprised last year and struggled some this year does very little to change that. I think a little patience along with some strength and conditioning with this player. I’m still a fan of the pick.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Very hard to say right now. There will be up and down but he seems like a cerebral player who need time to adjust but ever time we've put him in a role, he took some time to adjust and then start being great. 4th line, winger, PP, center it's all the same, there was a learning curve which is good to see.

Now they have to stop playing yo-yo with him and keep him at center and give him some good wingers, good ice-time and PP time and see how things will improve.

Those of us who don't suffer a Bergevin-induced stroke in the next couple will be lucky enough to see Suzuki "adjusting" to sharpshooter extraordinaire Cole Caufield on his right. To see a near-retirement Kovy on LW for that line would be all kinds of fun. We're only supposed to win something in 2026 anyway, according to Emperor Molson.

Reactions: Milhouse40

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
here in Montreal (or habs fan from anywhere) we have a fascination on trying to force players to stay since we seek so much that elite prospect.

I compare devellopement to having a ripe fruit.. some fruits take more time some less.. in any case.. most of the time you just need to be a bit patient to have the full flavour but cuting a fruit when its not ripe may have some short, medium, long to permanent damage.

Wtf are you even talking about? This is the Suzuki thread not the Kotkaniemi thread.

Suzuki is staying in the NHL no matter what happens. He's an NHL player.

Reactions: tooji

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Well said - where a prospect looks 3-4 years after a draft vs long term are usually very different. How good did Mike Richards look 4-years after the draft vs 10+ years. It happens all the time.

Reactions: Andrei79

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Last year, many people were saying that Suzuki would never be an NHL C, he'd be a LW.

It's hard to tell which fan predictions are meaningful and which are not.

Hey, fans are no different than scouts and if anything we should get it right even less often (we don’t get paid to do it, after all).

I think most people didn’t think Suzuki would be a center, most scouts included. Lots of people said the same about Claude Giroux, for example.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hey, fans are no different than scouts and if anything we should get it right even less often (we don’t get paid to do it, after all).

I think most people didn’t think Suzuki would be a center, most scouts included. Lots of people said the same about Claude Giroux, for example.

Right, the reason that fans are not being paid to scout is often that they're bring paid more than scouts to do different higher quality and higher skill jobs. Scouting isn't neurosurgery or patent law, it doesn't necessarily attract the brightest minds. Meanwhile a lot of fans on here are pretty smart.

It's equivalent to how many bloggers, who write as a hobby, are often more insightful than paid journalists like Jack Todd.

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Right, the reason that fans are not being paid to scout is often that they're bring paid more than scouts to do different higher quality and I get skill jobs. Scouting isn't neurosurgery or patent law, it doesn't necessarily attract the brightest minds. Meanwhile a lot of fans on here are pretty smart.

It's equivalent to how many bloggers, who write as a hobby, are often more insightful than paid journalists like Jack Todd.

You’re point is very true, just saying that as a whole most of the time fans/scouts are wrong.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
One other aspect of his game improving at an insane rate is in the faceoff circle. In his last 19 games, Suzuki is winning more than 50% of his draws... 51,5% to be exact. It's very rare for young offensive centers to excel in that aspect of the game which shows how fast Suzuki is learning.
He is improving which totally makes sense.
The upgrade from OHL to NHL is a significant step up.
Taking a few months to get there is quite impressive.
Look at Domi or KK FO...

Bergeron did improve from year one to the next.
As Tourigny was saying: ROR.
Problem with ROR is that he played many years ona depleted Buf team... Won't happen with Suzuki, he will be surrounded with very good players.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Right, the reason that fans are not being paid to scout is often that they're bring paid more than scouts to do different higher quality and higher skill jobs. Scouting isn't neurosurgery or patent law, it doesn't necessarily attract the brightest minds. Meanwhile a lot of fans on here are pretty smart.

Wow. A bit high on yourself? I guarantee you that most (not all) scouts are definitely more insightful than you are when evaluating talent.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad