Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Suzuki has always been cerebral, in junior and the pros. He just thinks the game at a different level. He's looked better lately because he's playing with better players. And yes, that does make a difference.

Playing with Kovalchuk is like playing with a kindred spirt and an obvious elite talent. The difference's are slight, but you go from thinking of putting pucks where you think someone will be, to putting pucks to where exactly they should go and another player is instinctively thinking the same way and going there. Two players can look at the same mass of bodies in front of them, one sees the chaos of an angry sea and chips it in, the other see's a variance of moving swells and reads the current like a pro surfer knowing the perfect wave is coming before it even forms, and feeds to puck there knowing his linemate see's the same thing and will be there.

Suzuki is going to produce no matter who you put him with, but he's going to produce more with higher quality people. That goes for all our skill guy. You can play 15 minutes a night with a guy, but if all he is doing is dumping it in at the blue line and chasing it, well, you aren't going to generate the same type of chances as playing with someone pushing zone entries and forcing D to back off the lines every shift.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Oddly enough, early in the year, I didn't see this quality in Suzuki...I saw a player who was obviously talented but very timid, I saw a player who would defer to veterans on his line almost by default. I saw a player who avoided all physical confrontations in order not to be caught out of position.

Now, the player i've watched over the last 20-25 games, is exactly how you describe above.

I'm sure it's a combination of a lot of things...but I guarantee the factor of playing without the threat of a quick hook hanging over you goes a long way.

Really well said, 417.

I’ve notice that big difference in the last 20-25 games as well. Like you said beginning of the year he seemed very cautious where as now he seems in full control of his game.

It also speaks to his IQ that he was able to adapt so quickly to the situation. To start the year off as a third line/fourth line winger and now just past the mid season mark be essentially a 1b centerman is very impressive.

Still early, long long way to go, but this is the most confident in a prospect I’ve been since the early Subban days.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Really well said, 417.

I’ve notice that big difference in the last 20-25 games as well. Like you said beginning of the year he seemed very cautious where as now he seems in full control of his game.

It also speaks to his IQ that he was able to adapt so quickly to the situation. To start the year off as a third line/fourth line winger and now just past the mid season mark be essentially a 1b centerman is very impressive.

Still early, long long way to go, but this is the most confident in a prospect I’ve been since the early Subban days.
The only thing holding him back from being the 1st line center is Danault. Who believe it or not didn’t make the NHL till he was 22. Just shows how much people over low Danaults importance and then call Kotkaniemi a bust.

What we are seeing from Suzuki is a kid who is learning on the fly and fast. Hopefully Kotkaniemi follows suit going into his 20 year old season.

Center ice of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault would be the best center ice we have had in decades. Providing Kotkaniemi develops which seeing Suzuki do it makes me think Kotkaniemi will too. Different style players though that may require different amount of time

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Suzuki can likely become a PPG Center or better. Kotkaniemi will need the right wingers to come close to that, some who can read where the play will be -- because that's where the puck will be -- and line mates that can score.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Suzuki and Kotkaniemi two potential star center.

The future of MTL is so bright!!!!

Can't wait to see Caufield with that type of center!
Who’s to says we won’t play Caufield at center? Ive witnessed stranger things as a fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
This kid is something else, honestly quite the player to watch. If MB can find him 2 solid linemates next year, he will be close to a ppg. Book it.

Reactions: Redux91

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
No points tonight but a good game and he's using his shot way more. He's been consistent ever since he was moved away from Domi.

Reactions: Redux91

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
This kid is slowly taking over the show. Everything good that happens seems to go through him.

Only thing I worried about him was how he would adjust to the physical aspect of the nhl, but he's a lot stronger on his skates than I thought.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Suzuki has always been cerebral, in junior and the pros. He just thinks the game at a different level. He's looked better lately because he's playing with better players. And yes, that does make a difference.

Playing with Kovalchuk is like playing with a kindred spirt and an obvious elite talent. The difference's are slight, but you go from thinking of putting pucks where you think someone will be, to putting pucks to where exactly they should go and another player is instinctively thinking the same way and going there. Two players can look at the same mass of bodies in front of them, one sees the chaos of an angry sea and chips it in, the other see's a variance of moving swells and reads the current like a pro surfer knowing the perfect wave is coming before it even forms, and feeds to puck there knowing his linemate see's the same thing and will be there.

Suzuki is going to produce no matter who you put him with, but he's going to produce more with higher quality people. That goes for all our skill guy. You can play 15 minutes a night with a guy, but if all he is doing is dumping it in at the blue line and chasing it, well, you aren't going to generate the same type of chances as playing with someone pushing zone entries and forcing D to back off the lines every shift.

Great post

Reactions: Ginger Papa

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Suzuki can likely become a PPG Center or better. Kotkaniemi will need the right wingers to come close to that, some who can read where the play will be -- because that's where the puck will be -- and line mates that can score.

I think Kotkaniemi has more upside than Suzuki

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I think Kotkaniemi has more upside than Suzuki

I think Suzuki is pretty deceptive but Kotkaniemi has an incredible vision for making passing plays, also likely will be better at protecting the puck and at takeaways. Suzuki is just much smarter and a faster learner, they're both going to be great.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Honestly this kid has the potential to become a 80+ 2 way center in the NHL, he's gonna be a beast when he gains more experience (and honestly i see him becoming a 1C in maybe 2 years). Sooo smart & talented.. he's a catalyst type player. To me he's easily the most untouchable player on our roster/pool.

I wish KK was a lock to be a 1C stud like Suzuki is. That's the problem with our drafting/developing we rarely have "no brainer" stud prospects. Everything has to be a struggle or a guessing game, why can't you just make it easy on us once in a while?

Hockey IQ trumps everything. Just look at Danault, he carved a career out of having exceptional hockey IQ and decent skill level (he's a puck possession player which translates well in today's game). Even if you have high IQ and a low~decent amount of skill you can become a versatile NHL'er for a very long time (Thompson). Add skill to the equation and you have an exceptional player, that's what Suzuki is. He's in the same mold as guys like Bergeron/Stone etc.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Honestly this kid has the potential to become a 80+ 2 way center in the NHL, he's gonna be a beast when he gains more experience (and honestly i see him becoming a 1C in maybe 2 years). Sooo smart & talented.. he's a catalyst type player. To me he's easily the most untouchable player on our roster/pool.

I wish KK was a lock to be a 1C stud like Suzuki is. That's the problem with our drafting/developing we rarely have "no brainer" stud prospects. Everything has to be a struggle or a guessing game, why can't you just make it easy on us once in a while?

Hockey IQ trumps everything. Just look at Danault, he carved a career out of having exceptional hockey IQ and decent skill level (he's a puck possession player which translates well in today's game). Even if you have high IQ and a low~decent amount of skill you can become a versatile NHL'er for a very long time (Thompson). Add skill to the equation and you have an exceptional player, that's what Suzuki is. He's in the same mold as guys like Bergeron/Stone etc.
Suzuki had his issues in his draft year and I wouldn't say he was a no brainer up until those OHL playoffs. Seen as a project due to his average size and skating dropped him in the draft. If it weren't for that though, he would have gone too 5 without a doubt.

You're right that hockey sense is the most important thing to look at. Also the hardest to see at first glance. It's what separates the elite from the Lars Ellers.

Suzuki looks like the whole package now that he's dramatically improved his strength and skating.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Suzuki had his issues in his draft year and I wouldn't say he was a no brainer up until those OHL playoffs. Seen as a project due to his average size and skating dropped him in the draft. If it weren't for that though, he would have gone too 5 without a doubt.

You're right that hockey sense is the most important thing to look at. Also the hardest to see at first glance. It's what separates the elite from the Lars Ellers.

Suzuki looks like the whole package now that he's dramatically improved his strength and skating.

I'm talking about the upside they show once they actually play in the NHL, not as prospects (i.e: 1st/2nd year players).

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm talking about the upside they show once they actually play in the NHL, not as prospects (i.e: 1st/2nd year players).
Oh yeah it's pretty crazy how fast he adapted. He's been playing like a borderline 1C only halfway through his rookie season. Haven't seen that since Koivu

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Oh yeah it's pretty crazy how fast he adapted. He's been playing like a borderline 1C only halfway through his rookie season. Haven't seen that since Koivu

Keep Suzuki away from Justin Williams. :sarcasm:

His out-of-the-box ability to generate take-aways against good lines is so nice to see in a rookie year. It's like a walking certificate for high on-ice IQ. He basically fake pumps puck carriers on one side, quick stick over to the other side and leaves with the puck. Wonderful stuff.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I don't remember the last time I felt so optimistic about this organization's prospect pool. When Suzuki has the chance to play with real top line talent (Kovalchuk from the 2000s?) he will be a bonafide #1C. With better linemates I think he easily wins the rookie scoring race this year. If Caufield pans out, the Habs' top line is going to be one of the best in the NHL for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad