Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He's on waivers and I always liked him. Carr or Cousins or Thompson? Am I sure Carr can do the job? No. But I would like to try - especially if Suzuki's ready to lead a 4th line as a center. Carr works hard and can finish.

He's on waivers again? poor guy. So Nashville has no use for him? I liked him too,but with Cousins and potentially RP in the picture......

Reactions: 26Mats

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Is Suzuki ready to lead a 4th line?

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Byron Domi Weal
Drouin KK Armia
Lehkonen Suzuki Carr
(Lehkonen to win board battles and bring the puck to the net, Carr to finish, Suzuki for his two-way acumen)

or

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Byron Domi Carr
Drouin KK Armia
Lehkonen Suzuki Weal
(Suzuki and Weal had chemistry in the preseason, Domi could be the center to get Carr to finally score 20-30 at the NHL level).

This Post brings me back to 2015-2016 somehow.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I’m paraphrasing here, but I remember hearing an interview with Craig Patrick years ago, and he said that he wished he could take rookies and sit them in the press box the entire year (or something like that).

The thinking being that they learn so much just by being around the pro’s, practicing every day, working out, healthy eating, learning defensive play, video sessions, etc., and this would vastly benefit them more long term than actually playing.

My point being some time in the press box won't necessarily hurt a rookies development.

Habs have been benching and limiting icetime of their prospects for years.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
So you don't like my Lehkonen-Suzuki-Carr 4th line?

I'd rather have Belzile who also brings some weight and good forecheck than Carr. Plus, you can be sure that this guy would bring his 110% every game.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Suzuki is starting to look more comfortable. It takes time. I see a nice progression last couple of games. he needs to stay engaged and not float. But the skill with the puck is becoming more evident.

patience folks!!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It didn't matter what organization he was in. He didn't develop his 200 foot game, no one wanted him.

LMAO
LMAO When we were done “developing” them... I bet Sergachev says a prayer of thankfulness every morning and night!

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
People grossly over-estimate the fragility of professional hockey players confidence.

Think of it this way: If a prospect is going to have his career ruined because he's playing limited minutes, or in and out of the lineup, or spends a stretch in the press box, the odds were very long that a player with that little mental toughness was ever going to be a success in the NHL.

There's nothing wrong with a player having accountability, earning his ice time, earning his opportunities and learning through practice, film sessions and time in the press box.

The hysterical fringe here that are so desperate to grind their axes about how much they hate management that they want to pretend that prospects are being ruined sound ridiculous.

Also - why is anyone, hysterical or otherwise, passing judgement on a player with such a small sample size? It's laughable.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
People grossly over-estimate the fragility of professional hockey players confidence.

Think of it this way: If a prospect is going to have his career ruined because he's playing limited minutes, or in and out of the lineup, or spends a stretch in the press box, the odds were very long that a player with that little mental toughness was ever going to be a success in the NHL.

There's nothing wrong with a player having accountability, earning his ice time, earning his opportunities and learning through practice, film sessions and time in the press box.

The hysterical fringe here that are so desperate to grind their axes about how much they hate management that they want to pretend that prospects are being ruined sound ridiculous.

Also - why is anyone, hysterical or otherwise, passing judgement on a player with such a small sample size? It's laughable.
Every player is different, and what you say, is as a generalization true. Having said that kids, still in their teens are, in my opinion a different breed. They are still kids and some are quite fragile, not saying that is the case here, but having raised boys I can tell you they are not as confident as they try to project. Some of them anyways.

Reactions: Mrb1p

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Every player is different, and what you say, is as a generalization true. Having said that kids, still in their teens are, in my opinion a different breed. They are still kids and some are quite fragile, not saying that is the case here, but having raised boys I can tell you they are not as confident as they try to project. Some of them anyways.

I think comparing an average teenage boy to the kind of high end athlete that competes at the level where they are playing in the World Junior Championships, in the Memorial Cup, in the NCAA and at the calibre of being drafted in the first round is an apples to oranges scenario.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I think comparing an average teenage boy to the kind of high end athlete that competes at the level where they are playing in the World Junior Championships, in the Memorial Cup, in the NCAA and at the calibre of being drafted in the first round is an apples to oranges scenario.
Why, people are people, just because they are gifted in something doesn't make them immune to self doubt.

Reactions: Miller Time

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Why, people are people, just because they are gifted in something doesn't make them immune to self doubt.

If you've spent any time around professional athletes one thing you will quickly pick up on is that one of the reasons they are among the very best at what they do is because of a strong sense of self and a belief in their abilities and a desire to be the best and continue to put in the work to get better and better. These aren't the kind of people that wilt in the face of adversity and question themselves when things don't go their way.

The guys that do that are the guys that don't make it to the top. When you're dealing with the top 1 percent of hockey player the guys that make it to the National Hockey League, you're talking about highly competitive people that are dogged in their pursuit of excellence and diligent about getting better and better and remaining in that elite group.

I just don't think there's a realistic comparison to average teenage bravado.

Reactions: themilosh

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If you've spent any time around professional athletes one thing you will quickly pick up on is that one of the reasons they are among the very best at what they do is because of a strong sense of self and a belief in their abilities and a desire to be the best and continue to put in the work to get better and better. These aren't the kind of people that wilt in the face of adversity and question themselves when things don't go their way.

The guys that do that are the guys that don't make it to the top. When you're dealing with the top 1 percent of hockey player the guys that make it to the National Hockey League, you're talking about highly competitive people that are dogged in their pursuit of excellence and diligent about getting better and better and remaining in that elite group.

I just don't think there's a realistic comparison to average teenage bravado.

Could not disagree more with this post.

Not sure what elite athlete groups you've been around, but from my experience, there's far more, not less, emotional volatility in people who navigate the razors edge of elite sport.

Reactions: Andrei79

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

This... And in fact, many of the greatest performers reach their heights precisely because they suffer from greater self-doubt & insecurity than the average person... The need to be the best (which fuels a greater willingness to suffer in that pursuit more than the rest) often is a pathological response to heightened insecurity.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Yeah, most people understand this. It's actually rather funny you have to point it out. In fact, kids that age who've always been used to being the best are actually more vulnerable as they almost all hit a wall once they get to the pros. Most aren't actually used to this kind of failure and thinking that they're immune from self doubt or getting their confidence hit is frankly delusional. Athletes have actually come out and talked about it numerous times. Obviously, if you compare an 18-20 year old to how a 5-10 year NHL veteran conducts himself, then you might, erroneously, assume they've always been that way. The truth is most aren't, aside from the odd prodigy.

Reactions: Mrb1p and montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad