Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
He's the one I'm most excited to see play in preseason games... Poehling is a half-known quantity at this point.

Nick's improved skating, combined with some preseason rosters giving him a bit too much time and space, could result in nasty goals and put pressure on the coaching staff to give him 9 games.

Reactions: angusyoung

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
He's the one I'm most excited to see play in preseason games... Poehling is a half-known quantity at this point.

Nick's improved skating, combined with some preseason rosters giving him a bit too much time and space, could result in nasty goals and put pressure on the coaching staff to give him 9 games.

The 9 games cap doesn't really matter in his case as he'll play pro (NHL or AHL), whatever happen in the camp.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hoping to see him develop as a center given how he plays a two way game and given that he’s a RH shot, something the Habs could use. Plus, that’s where he wants to play and the Habs have agreed to it.

I know Suzuki has said that Montreal wants him to play at center. I take it their goal is to eventually run a center line of Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Poehling.

I also recall a few interviews on TSN690 with Guelph's coach and he said that if Montreal asks him to put Suzuki at center for his development, he would do that. Suzuki was either 1C or 2C from that point on.

So you know Montreal stayed in touch with Guelph (as NHL teams do with Junior teams where their prospects play).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know Suzuki has said that Montreal wants him to play at center. I take it their goal is to eventually run a center line of Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Poehling.

I also recall a few interviews on TSN690 with Guelph's coach and he said that if Montreal asks him to put Suzuki at center for his development, he would do that. Suzuki was either 1C or 2C from that point on.

So you know Montreal stayed in touch with Guelph (as NHL teams do with Junior teams where their prospects play).

I like how he was handled. I bet you the Habs learned a thing or two about favouring development.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I like how he was handled. I bet you the Habs learned a thing or two about favouring development.

They also learned with their European prospects, as well. The Sebastian Collberg case served as a good lesson on how to let their European prospects stay in Europe and not want them here for the rookie and regular camps.

Collberg was at the development camp. Then went back to Europe to train and take part in his team's camp. Then Montreal wanted him here for rookie camp. Meanwhile, his European team started their regular season. Collberg was supposed to be a Top-6 player. Instead, while at Habs' camp, he lost his spot in Europe because the guy they put there temporarily did well and kept his spot. So after Habs' camp, Collberg was sent back to Europe. But now that he lost his spot, he was a Bottom-6 player. So his development there was affected. Other than that, you factor in the travel from Europe to North America and back. That is unnecessary. So since then, they would let their European prospects stay in Europe and miss out at rookie camps.

This is why Vejdemo never took part at rookie camps until last year. It's why we don't see Ikonen, Ylönen, Romanov and Khisamutdinov (under contract), Olofsson. And even if Norlinder was healthy, he wouldn't be here.

Reactions: Habsddicted

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They also learned with their European prospects, as well. The Sebastian Collberg case served as a good lesson on how to let their European prospects stay in Europe and not want them here for the rookie and regular camps.

Collberg was at the development camp. Then went back to Europe to train and take part in his team's camp. Then Montreal wanted him here for rookie camp. Meanwhile, his European team started their regular season. Collberg was supposed to be a Top-6 player. Instead, while at Habs' camp, he lost his spot in Europe because the guy they put there temporarily did well and kept his spot. So after Habs' camp, Collberg was sent back to Europe. But now that he lost his spot, he was a Bottom-6 player. So his development there was affected. Other than that, you factor in the travel from Europe to North America and back. That is unnecessary. So since then, they would let their European prospects stay in Europe and miss out at rookie camps.

This is why Vejdemo never took part at rookie camps until last year. It's why we don't see Ikonen, Ylönen, Romanov and Khisamutdinov (under contract), Olofsson. And even if Norlinder was healthy, he wouldn't be here.
None of this should affect a player to the point where he completely falls off the map as a prospect.

Whatever has prevented him from being an NHL player to this point, likely was there before any of that happened and no matter whether or not he attended the Habs camp, the end result would have been the same.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
None of this should affect a player to the point where he completely falls off the map as a prospect.

Whatever has prevented him from being an NHL player to this point, likely was there before any of that happened and no matter whether or not he attended the Habs camp, the end result would have been the same.

Collberg was just a bum ass loser. He couldn't even establish himself in the SHL with any kind of a major role. He's in Austria this year.

Never draft a guy with hard 0's ever again.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Spoken like a fan...

In the athlete world, reality is that there are a myriad of things that can impact progression. Players like PK or Gally, who thrive regardless of obstacles, are the exception, not the rule.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Spoken like a fan...

In the athlete world, reality is that there are a myriad of things that can impact progression. Players like PK or Gally, who thrive regardless of obstacles, are the exception, not the rule.

Nothing impacts progression.

Don't send your kid to school. He will become just as smart as if he did anyways.

Reactions: Miller Time

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Spoken like a fan...
Well that's what I am...but I'm also an athlete who played basketball at a fairly high level, so whatever that slight was/is, it doesn't really change what I said.

Once more, I'll repeat what I wrote...

Missing a few games of his SHL club because he was in North America, shouldn't effect his progression to that point and if it does, he likely didn't have what it took in the first place.

Sure...but participating in a development camp and missing a handful of exhibition games of your parent club, isn't one of those.

In my humble, athletic, opinion.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nothing impacts progression.

Don't send your kid to school. He will become just as smart as if he did anyways.
So in other words...you think if you send your kid to school, and he misses 2 weeks cause he's sick or because you take him on vacation or whatever...that he's doomed for life?

Because that's what we're talking about here...Sebastian Collberg missing a handful of games because he came to North America for a few weeks.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well that's what I am...but I'm also an athlete who played basketball at a fairly high level, so whatever that slight was/is, it doesn't really change what I said.

Once more, I'll repeat what I wrote...

Missing a few games of his SHL club because he was in North America, shouldn't effect his progression to that point and if it does, he likely didn't have what it took in the first place.

Sure...but participating in a development camp and missing a handful of exhibition games of your parent club, isn't one of those.

In my humble, athletic, opinion.

Wasn't a slight, sensitive much?

I did read what you wrote, quoted it and replied...

"Whatever has prevented him from being an NHL player to this point, likely was there before any of that happened and no matter whether or not he attended the Habs camp, the end result would have been the same."

Perhaps you didn't mean what you wrote?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Wasn't a slight, sensitive much?
Well I took "spoken like a fan" as an indication that you meant that I don't have the first hand knowledge of what it is to be an athlete.

So I don't think I'm being sensitive at all.

I did read what you wrote, quoted it and replied...

"Whatever has prevented him from being an NHL player to this point, likely was there before any of that happened and no matter whether or not he attended the Habs camp, the end result would have been the same."

Perhaps you didn't mean what you wrote?
No, I meant what I wrote...

I don't think the scenario he presented, that missing a few weeks of camp thus allowing another player to usurp a position that had been his prior, is what caused Collberg to eventually flop.

Whatever caused his career to go along the path it ultimately did, was likely there before any of this happened.

Such small isolated events can't have that much impact.

I mean, he was in North America attending rookie camp, it's not like the guy was on a 2 week bender. If his position on his SHL team was so tenuous that it allowed another player to push him out, it's likely the coaching staff didn't have much faith in his either way (not to mention allowing him to participate in a rookie tournament right before their regular season).

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well I took "spoken like a fan" as an indication that you meant that I don't have the first hand knowledge of what it is to be an athlete.

So I don't think I'm being sensitive at all.

No, I meant what I wrote...

I don't think the scenario he presented, that missing a few weeks of camp thus allowing another player to usurp a position that had been his prior, is what caused Collberg to eventually flop.

Whatever caused his career to go along the path it ultimately did, was likely there before any of this happened.

Such small isolated events can't have that much impact.

I mean, he was in North America attending rookie camp, it's not like the guy was on a 2 week bender.

A fan wouldn't necessarily appreciate what a slim edge performance success rests on and that even a seemingly small change of course, like the one outlined, can indeed have a dramatic affect on a career trajectory.

That's what I implied, and by your added commentary, appears to be quite accurate... No reason to feel slighted.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
A fan wouldn't necessarily appreciate what a slim edge performance success rests on and that even a seemingly small change of course, like the one outlined, can indeed have a dramatic affect on a career trajectory.

That's what I implied, and by your added commentary, appears to be quite accurate... No reason to feel slighted.
lol you're slick man...i'll give you that.

I'm going to stick to Suzuki and put away my status of fan/athlete as it's irrelevant to the discussion.

Once more, he came to North America to participate in a rookie tournament/camp. Which means his SHL team allowed him to miss the start of the season so he could participate in this, all of this resulted in him starting his SHL season late and having his top 6 spot usurped by a more performing player.

Why did his SHL team allow him to leave in the first place? Is this common practice for players who have no guarantee of making their NHL team?

Did Jacob Olofsson's team allow him to leave their training camp to go participate in the upcoming rookie tournament?

Nah...i'm going to go ahead and assume that it's because they see him as an integral part of their roster this year.

Now back to Collberg...the fact they let him go should be the first red flag...the fact that when he returned, his position was usurped, should be another red flag.

Maybe...just maybe, using my non-athlete, just-a-fan reasoning....

He just wasn't good enough???

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
lol you're slick man...i'll give you that.

I'm going to stick to Suzuki and put away my status of fan/athlete as it's irrelevant to the discussion.

Once more, he came to North America to participate in a rookie tournament/camp. Which means his SHL team allowed him to miss the start of the season so he could participate in this, all of this resulted in him starting his SHL season late and having his top 6 spot usurped by a more performing player.

Why did his SHL team allow him to leave in the first place? Is this common practice for players who have no guarantee of making their NHL team?

Did Jacob Olofsson's team allow him to leave their training camp to go participate in the upcoming rookie tournament?

Nah...i'm going to go ahead and assume that it's because they see him as an integral part of their roster this year.

Now back to Collberg...the fact they let him go should be the first red flag...the fact that when he returned, his position was usurped, should be another red flag.

Maybe...just maybe, using my non-athlete, just-a-fan reasoning....

He just wasn't good enough???

When you start from an assumption, perhaps avoiding black/white conclusions is advisable?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

I get what you're saying and I agree but I don't think the Collberg example is a good one. 417 is right. He just wasn't good enough and if he were, he would have earned that spot eventually. I doubt his club just gave up on him.

Back on topic. I think the habs handled Suzuki perfectly thus far. The extra year in the O proved to be a great confidence booster and I really did see quite a bit of progression in many aspects of his game, notably skating and strength. It was reported that MB went to a few games in the playoffs and the habs have always been in contact. They urged him to work on specific facets of his game and encouraged the coaches to play him at center which seems to be doing him a lot of good.

Full credit to Suzuki for really working on specific areas of his game and not just focusing on points though. It's easy for young players to just do what they're good at or forget that preventing a goal is just as important as scoring one but Suzuki really worked on the areas of his game that needed work.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
When you start from an assumption, perhaps avoiding black/white conclusions is advisable?
Well the very thing we're discussing, Collberg becoming a bust because he missed 2 weeks of hockey in the SHL...

IS an assumption in the first place lol hence why I challenged it.

But then you came in, dismissed the very assumption I challenged by reaching black/white conclusions about me and what I wrote.

ain't that some ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->