Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
How can Ryan not be better than Suzuki at this point? That isn't encouraging

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
That .
And by the way , he played on the PP with " better linemates " but in the 4 th line he won't get the pressure to produce as a top 6.
For those who wish him to play in the AHL , my opinion is that with his IQ the first thing he needs to work on is the speed of the NHL game . He won't learn this part of the game in the AHL
The AHL is light years faster than Junior hockey. It is a stepping stone, in my opinion only exceptional should skip the league, exceptional as in Conner Mcdavid , Sid exceptional. From what I have seen of the youngster, the NHL is to fast for him, let him build up to the speed without having his confidence hurt.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The AHL is light years faster than Junior hockey. It is a stepping stone, in my opinion only exceptional should skip the league, exceptional as in Conner Mcdavid , Sid exceptional. From what I have seen of the youngster, the NHL is to fast for him, let him build up to the speed without having his confidence hurt.

that's a good point about it being a stepping stone, one we continue to skip with so many of our 20 year old prospects under this management. So far it hasn't worked out too well. I can't say for Suzuki as I haven't seen a full Habs game yet this season. I was against the move just in case it backfires but I hope now that he's up he does great as I really hate the jerking them around the lineup, press box, then back to the AHL that they did so often with others that clearly weren't ready but for some reason will still called up.

Jul 6, 2016
that's a good point about it being a stepping stone, one we continue to skip with so many of our 20 year old prospects under this management. So far it hasn't worked out too well. I can't say for Suzuki as I haven't seen a full Habs game yet this season. I was against the move just in case it backfires but I hope now that he's up he does great as I really hate the jerking them around the lineup, press box, then back to the AHL that they did so often with others that clearly weren't ready but for some reason will still called up.

Is Poehling burnt too ? One NHL game under his belt and the guy is pouting in Laval. I this a generation of spoiled kids who are thinking they deserve everything and fast ?

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How can Ryan not be better than Suzuki at this point? That isn't encouraging

Because we shouldn't extrapolate too much from short sample sizes. Poehling has obviously been derailed since his concussion but the odds are he'll come around to being the player we saw prior to it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is Poehling burnt too ? One NHL game under his belt and the guy is pouting in Laval. I this a generation of spoiled kids who are thinking they deserve everything and fast ?

who's to say he's pouting though, he did have a concussion and he doesn't look right out there. I'm not saying he is or isn't but I have seen a ton of him and he looks off to me, now why I can't say.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Because we shouldn't extrapolate too much from short sample sizes. Poehling has obviously been derailed since his concussion but the odds are he'll come around to being the player we saw prior to it.

I think he's already better and the wrong kid is in the AHL

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I must’ve missed that one.....how was he pouting, like was he literally pouting with lower lip and all or was he crying a river to the media??

serious question

tintinetmilou

Mar 22, 2010
That .
And by the way , he played on the PP with " better linemates " but in the 4 th line he won't get the pressure to produce as a top 6.
For those who wish him to play in the AHL , my opinion is that with his IQ the first thing he needs to work on is the speed of the NHL game . He won't learn this part of the game in the AHL
I agree with that. he needs to get use to NHL speed by playing in the NHL. Playing on the 4th line with pp time is fine.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
People are too reactionary here. Be patient, let him find his way. If after 15 games he’s not improving send him down.

Reactions: habergeon

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm really disappointed so far - I had such high hopes for him coming off of last year. I thought we might have a legitimate superstar in the making on our hands. I'd still give him a few more games and hope he figures it out, but we'll see.

Maybe more time in Laval will help him if not.

For once i don't really blame the coaching staff either - they seem to be giving him good minutes and pp time, he just hadn't produced yet.

Reactions: angusyoung

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I see Nick was the extra forward today at practice. Hopefully they send him down instead of putting him in the press box for an extended period of time.

I’m paraphrasing here, but I remember hearing an interview with Craig Patrick years ago, and he said that he wished he could take rookies and sit them in the press box the entire year (or something like that).

The thinking being that they learn so much just by being around the pro’s, practicing every day, working out, healthy eating, learning defensive play, video sessions, etc., and this would vastly benefit them more long term than actually playing.

My point being some time in the press box won't necessarily hurt a rookies development.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m paraphrasing here, but I remember hearing an interview with Craig Patrick years ago, and he said that he wished he could take rookies and sit them in the press box the entire year (or something like that).

The thinking being that they learn so much just by being around the pro’s, practicing every day, working out, healthy eating, learning defensive play, video sessions, etc., and this would vastly benefit them more long term than actually playing.

My point being some time in the press box won't necessarily hurt a rookies development.
Jesus

Imagine how much more rookies can learn by doing all that AND playing ? Christs.

Reactions: Runner77

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
would really like to know how you know he is pouting ???

Reactions: Runner77

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Maybe having him on a line with Thompson and Byron will have him step up a little more and feel like he has to carry more of the load offensively. I find a lot of the young guys coming up today, when thrown onto a line with good offensive players, tend to defer everything rather than being a little selfish.

He's underwhelmed me, but then again I missed the STL game (where people said he played well). I'm not ready to send him down yet. Give him 5-6 more games and then decide.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Maybe having him on a line with Thompson and Byron will have him step up a little more and feel like he has to carry more of the load offensively. I find a lot of the young guys coming up today, when thrown onto a line with good offensive players, tend to defer everything rather than being a little selfish.

He's underwhelmed me, but then again I missed the STL game (where people said he played well). I'm not ready to send him down yet. Give him 5-6 more games and then decide.

Good point,perhaps playing with them will ease the burden of trying to be sound defensively.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Weber said the something similar yesterday

Reactions: habergeon

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is Suzuki ready to lead a 4th line?

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Byron Domi Weal
Drouin KK Armia
Lehkonen Suzuki Carr
(Lehkonen to win board battles and bring the puck to the net, Carr to finish, Suzuki for his two-way acumen)

or

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Byron Domi Carr
Drouin KK Armia
Lehkonen Suzuki Weal
(Suzuki and Weal had chemistry in the preseason, Domi could be the center to get Carr to finally score 20-30 at the NHL level).

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Is Suzuki ready to lead a 4th line?

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Byron Domi Weal
Drouin KK Armia
Lehkonen Suzuki Carr
(Lehkonen to win board battles and bring the puck to the net, Carr to finish, Suzuki for his two-way acumen)

or

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Byron Domi Carr
Drouin KK Armia
Lehkonen Suzuki Weal
(Suzuki and Weal had chemistry in the preseason, Domi could be the center to get Carr to finally score 20-30 at the NHL level).

Carr?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He's on waivers and I always liked him. Carr or Cousins or Thompson? Am I sure Carr can do the job? No. But I would like to try - especially if Suzuki's ready to lead a 4th line as a center. Carr works hard and can finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->