Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
His game reminds me a bit of Alex tanguay. Pretty solid defensively. Smooth skater. But his pass first mind set might make him too easy to defend. Guy gotta shoot and take those one timers from Domi

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If you've spent any time around professional athletes one thing you will quickly pick up on is that one of the reasons they are among the very best at what they do is because of a strong sense of self and a belief in their abilities and a desire to be the best and continue to put in the work to get better and better. These aren't the kind of people that wilt in the face of adversity and question themselves when things don't go their way.

The guys that do that are the guys that don't make it to the top. When you're dealing with the top 1 percent of hockey player the guys that make it to the National Hockey League, you're talking about highly competitive people that are dogged in their pursuit of excellence and diligent about getting better and better and remaining in that elite group.

I just don't think there's a realistic comparison to average teenage bravado.
I dont think there is a one rule for all.
Confidence and self-doubt aren't just a thing teenagers struggle with.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
One things for sure, we got serious problems in drafting kids and then having them play in the AHL and then the NHL. Whatever the reason, this was clearly not anywhere near the problem when Timmins first got here, in the '03 to '07 drafts. Since then we have almost nothing to show for the past 7 or 8 years. Last year 87.7% of of all NHLers had played in the AHL at some point.

So either it's drafting, development, management rushing kids that aren't ready, coaching at both levels, players. But it's an issue and we can only speculate as to what is at the root of the problem.

I do think hockey is so much mental, I watch tons of our teams AHL games. I see a 20 year old rookie in McCarron light it up to start out his pro career, almost a point per game. Later gets called up, doesn't do anything, gets sent back and can't even match his month totals for the rest of the season. He looked like a different player. So something was wrong. Last year with Bouchard he was playing some of his best hockey, the two years before that he looked lost out there like he didn't know what he was supposed to be a gritty physical tough guy or a point producer.

Leblanc looked so good in Hamilton as a 20 year old rookie, gets called up next year he's under a new coach in the AHL who puts him on the 3rd line, he looks like a shell of himself.

I've always said I believe that everyone involved shares some of the blame, to what degree I don't know. Clearly MB felt he needed to address this and he went and hired a new coach for the AHL so we'll see what that does.

I don't have an agenda, I just want the team to win a cup again in my lifetime and it's very frustrating when it feels like that may not happen. I can fully admit I don't care for the owner after he threw the Randy's under the bus, I don't care for Julien even though I met him at a Habs development camp in his first go round and he was really nice but I would prefer to see what Ducharme can do as head coach. I have mixed feelings on MB, he's made some good trades but I just don't know if he can fix this and turn us into a contender or not.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
One things for sure, we got serious problems in drafting kids and then having them play in the AHL and then the NHL. Whatever the reason, this was clearly not anywhere near the problem when Timmins first got here, in the '03 to '07 drafts. Since then we have almost nothing to show for the past 7 or 8 years. Last year 87.7% of of all NHLers had played in the AHL at some point.

So either it's drafting, development, management rushing kids that aren't ready, coaching at both levels, players. But it's an issue and we can only speculate as to what is at the root of the problem.

I do think hockey is so much mental, I watch tons of our teams AHL games. I see a 20 year old rookie in McCarron light it up to start out his pro career, almost a point per game. Later gets called up, doesn't do anything, gets sent back and can't even match his month totals for the rest of the season. He looked like a different player. So something was wrong. Last year with Bouchard he was playing some of his best hockey, the two years before that he looked lost out there like he didn't know what he was supposed to be a gritty physical tough guy or a point producer.

Leblanc looked so good in Hamilton as a 20 year old rookie, gets called up next year he's under a new coach in the AHL who puts him on the 3rd line, he looks like a shell of himself.

I've always said I believe that everyone involved shares some of the blame, to what degree I don't know. Clearly MB felt he needed to address this and he went and hired a new coach for the AHL so we'll see what that does.

I don't have an agenda, I just want the team to win a cup again in my lifetime and it's very frustrating when it feels like that may not happen. I can fully admit I don't care for the owner after he threw the Randy's under the bus, I don't care for Julien even though I met him at a Habs development camp in his first go round and he was really nice but I would prefer to see what Ducharme can do as head coach. I have mixed feelings on MB, he's made some good trades but I just don't know if he can fix this and turn us into a contender or not.

Bad culture... Starts from the top down, pretty difficult to build a successful culture with a leader like MB at the top.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Bad culture... Starts from the top down, pretty difficult to build a successful culture with a leader like MB at the top.

It appears to me that they view players like a more or less infinite resource. ''If you don't do the job, I'll find someone else who will.'' Their view point is very much that it's up to the player to do everything. There is a kernel of truth in that, but it's not the whole story. Our view point should be to manufacture the talent we need, not select it. This is the viewpoint that small european clubs have, because they have to: if they don't do well, they face relegation and a huge financial hit. If our players disappoint, no matter, there's another draft every year, and there's UFA, the waiver wire, and trades.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You honestly dont know that yet?
What makes you think he might be able to do that? Because he made a few good trades?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He needs to be more selfish. He's always looking for a pass. He's playing not to make any mistakes and I hate it.

I wish he had better skating... I think his problem is similar to Kotkaniemi where there creativity is not at full display cause they can't find the open space with their skating. I think Suzuki has good skating on the fly and he he does have explosive speed when he needs it but down low when he is not moving is his problem cause he is not strong enough yet.

I agree he needs to be more selfish but right now, he can't afford to be cause he time and space is gone in seconds. Being more selfish applies to a lot of players on our roster. Gallgher, Armia, and Tatar are really the only selfish players. I'd like to see Mete more selfish too... he has the vision and legs to really break out and be dangerous

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I wish he had better skating... I think his problem is similar to Kotkaniemi where there creativity is not at full display cause they can't find the open space with their skating. I think Suzuki has good skating on the fly and he he does have explosive speed when he needs it but down low when he is not moving is his problem cause he is not strong enough yet.

I agree he needs to be more selfish but right now, he can't afford to be cause he time and space is gone in seconds. Being more selfish applies to a lot of players on our roster. Gallgher, Armia, and Tatar are really the only selfish players. I'd like to see Mete more selfish too... he has the vision and legs to really break out and be dangerous
We'll see. Not much to really criticize him on last night and he's been looking better every game. Hopefully this trend continues because he looks like he could become a special player. Best player on the ice last night.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We'll see. Not much to really criticize him on last night and he's been looking better every game. Hopefully this trend continues because he looks like he could become a special player. Best player on the ice last night.

I think he will become a special player for us but this year? I hope he proves me wrong. He is certainly committed to get better and do what it takes to get there. It's a positive sign

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His game reminds me a bit of Alex tanguay. Pretty solid defensively. Smooth skater. But his pass first mind set might make him too easy to defend. Guy gotta shoot and take those one timers from Domi

Not so sure Domi is the right guy for him to play with but on our roster not sure who is? Down the road, I'd like to see this but of course things will change. I think Suzuki and Poehling should share the 2C role on the same line.

When do you think this roster takes a leap forward? 2 or 3 years from now?

Domi / Kotkaniemi / Drouin
Poehling / Suzuki / Caufield
???? / Danault / Gallagher
Lehkonen / ???? / Armia

* Ylonen, Teasdale, Evans, Pitlick, Hillis, McShane, Oloffsson, Ikonen
* It would be smart to trade Tatar and Byron at some point in the next two seasons

Romanov / Petry
Struble / Brook
Mete / Juulsen

* Fleury, Kulak, Harris, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Leguerrier
* It would be smart to trade Weber this season... if we can get a fair return
* Chariot is a good signing and bridge for when some of the LD's will be ready. Let him walk after 3 seasons

* Hopefully we can get Petry signed to 2 or 3 years when he is a UFA at 33. Edler just signed for 2 years as a 33 year old UFA to stay with the Canucks. Offer him a high AAV for 2 years and I think he stays.

Price
* Primeau, Dichow

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What's the ceiling for Suzuki this season?

35 pts ?

Ceiling I guess depends on his work and improvement as well as the opportunities given to him from the staff. I do think 35pts would be great though. Personally, I don't think he'll hit 30, but would be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: Runner77

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Ceiling I guess depends on his work and improvement as well as the opportunities given to him from the staff. I do think 35pts would be great though. Personally, I don't think he'll hit 30, but would be happy to be wrong.

KK had 34 pts last year. I'm sure Suzuki can have 35pts... he looks more ready than KK right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad