Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
They really need to try Robertson with Nylander and JT.

Who knows? What if this line is dynamite?
Nylander/JT haven't been able to consistently score on 5v5 all season. Maybe, Robertson's playstyle will help them out.
Robertson's a shooting threat, can make passes, and, create space.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
There’s not much to dislike about this kid, but its reasonable to acknowledge that he’s young and relatively slight and is liable to need more exposure and development to more veteran play.
It’s a big jump to the best league in the world, so zipping him onto the second line is a big step.
To add, unrelated to NickRob: The same goes for Barabanov and Lehtonen; facing this level of competition for the first time is hard, and each team has different players and styles. Time and repetition and patience matter.
To add for 21-22, also unrelated to NickRob specifically: I’ll be saying the same thing about Lili, Sandin, and Anderson next year.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hmm, just a hair under PPG in his first two weeks in the AHL. This guy is just a little beast.

Question for those watching the AHL in detail. He looked like a guy who was really doggedly hounding the puck and the Overdrive team was joking around that he had a Yakupov like way of looking very busy. Is he calming down a bit, letting the play come to him a little more naturally?

Reactions: hullsy47

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hmm, just a hair under PPG in his first two weeks in the AHL. This guy is just a little beast.

Question for those watching the AHL in detail. He looked like a guy who was really doggedly hounding the puck and the Overdrive team was joking around that he had a Yakupov like way of looking very busy. Is he calming down a bit, letting the play come to him a little more naturally?

Per the comments in the Marlies thread, his puck management has been a bit questionable the last couple of games with some turnovers. Which is to be expected with a kid coming out of junior.

I'd be excited to see him get called up, but a stronger part of me wants to leverage this situation where he can develop in the AHL a little to iron out some kinks in his game before getting called up with the big boys.

The Leafs are performing well and are sorting out the depth they have already. And if we're expecting a 19 year old rookie to help fix Tavares and Nylander's line, I think we have bigger problems (not to mention the pressure :laugh:). I'd like to slow our roll a bit here and ensure he's developed properly, especially because they have the chance to have him in the AHL now and not the O.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Per the comments in the Marlies thread, his puck management has been a bit questionable the last couple of games with some turnovers. Which is to be expected with a kid coming out of junior.

I'd be excited to see him get called up, but a stronger part of me wants to leverage this situation where he can develop in the AHL a little to iron out some kinks in his game before getting called up with the big boys.

The Leafs are performing well and are sorting out the depth they have already. And if we're expecting a 19 year old rookie to help fix Tavares and Nylander's line, I think we have bigger problems (not to mention the pressure :laugh:). I'd like to slow our roll a bit here and ensure he's developed properly, especially because they have the chance to have him in the AHL now and not the O.

I kind of want them to slow the roll on promotion as well. If he isn't ready there's no need to build up expectations and have him fall on his face on the big stage. Nor do we need him coming up and having his stats inflated and have to pay through the nose post ELC!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
what do i think about this kid, well i think hes better than half the forwards that dressed for us the other night, that is what i think about robertson
I agree. I don’t mind him getting reps with the Marlies for however long management decides. He’s doing well with the Marlies picking up assists but not scoring yet. When he went there i wondered how much he would score. His back pressure and defense is very high quality and standout. Not sure if i would like to see him get scoring st the Ahl level before recall or if he could possible perform better with more talented players with Leafs. He’s playing really good.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There is no right answer on if he should play with the Marlies or with the Leafs. It’s never wrong to develop in the Ahl. I’m not sure the talent level he is playing with gets as much out of him as playing left side on Tavares’ line as mentioned. He could likely play left wing on either of our top lines and supply high quality defensive play before you project any scoring. That’s enough to be awarded a try with our top six possibly. I haven’t seen a bad take in the entire thread on him.
I would love to see him get a try in our top six and excel. It would be awesome :)

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Looks like he's at the right level for now.

Ppg 19yr old in the AHL is awesome. But he wouldn't be hurt by some more time there.
I watched some Marlies games and I’m thinking he might be that player that develops better with smarter Nhl players. Not opposed to him staying with the Marlies either. Right up there with top Ahl rookies in scoring. Not many goals yet.
Might be best developed in the Nhl because his defensive game actually doesn’t need much work. It will be curious if management see’s it as development in the Nhl is more a position of success based on lack of Ahl talent for him to play with. My observation leads me to think he’s better served with the Leafs. They might leave him there to see if he starts hammering more goals. Works his arse off still, looks like he isn’t playing tentative after injury too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain14 and zeke

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He had 2 points on two goals last game. He is right there in rookie scoring and could be top scoring rookie with a couple good games that he has in hand on the leaders. 1g/5a/=6 in 7 games so far

The scoreboard doesn't tell the whole story. Last two games he hasn't played well. Several careless giveaways and very weak on his skates. A lot of it is a mental game which is common among rookies. Some people might be saying I'm expecting too much, but considering there's a lot of people who want him in the NHL, I think my expectations are inline with everyone else. I'd keep him down for another couple of weeks atleast but I guess we'll wait and see what Keefe does.

That's a great way to describe it. He definitely has high energy especially on the forecheck, but not that efficient right now. I've said this before, his skill and shot are too good for the AHL, but the rest of his game shows that he's right where he belongs (as a rookie starting out in the AHL).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Honestly, one of the only good things about COVID is that guys like Nick get to play in the AHL. He’s too good for the OHL, but more of a 13th forward at the NHL level, not quite ready, especially physically.

If he can spend the full season with this Marlies, then come back next year bigger, stronger, and more experienced playing against men, he’ll be ready to make an impact with the Leafs from game 1 next season. Even at the start of next season, he’ll only just have turned 20.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I've said it before. While his pedigree may not be on the level of Nylander, I do believe in this kid, and if push comes to shove.

I believe he could be Nylanders replacement in the top 6 if we ever traded him for another defenceman.

I am not saying this is going to happen, just my faith in the kid is all, so I would not lose my mind if what I said came to pass.

There was a time on these boards people truly believed Nylander was better than Marner, I was never part of that crowd. He's a good player, but Marner is great, always been my opinion have no ill will towards Nylander, just think Robertson will be the future and more cost management way to go.

I see Nylander traded regardless in the next year or two. Just my thoughts.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I kind of want them to slow the roll on promotion as well. If he isn't ready there's no need to build up expectations and have him fall on his face on the big stage. Nor do we need him coming up and having his stats inflated and have to pay through the nose post ELC!

Wouldn't that be terrible, having to pay another superior player, superior money?

Maybe keep him in the minors till he's 25 and hope that superior ability is coached out of him by some hack coach, that's the way?

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
I've said it before. While his pedigree may not be on the level of Nylander, I do believe in this kid, and if push comes to shove.

I believe he could be Nylanders replacement in the top 6 if we ever traded him for another defenceman.

I am not saying this is going to happen, just my faith in the kid is all, so I would not lose my mind if what I said came to pass.

There was a time on these boards people truly believed Nylander was better than Marner, I was never part of that crowd. He's a good player, but Marner is great, always been my opinion have no ill will towards Nylander, just think Robertson will be the future and more cost management way to go.

I see Nylander traded regardless in the next year or two. Just my thoughts.
Again with that? Dubas said he will never trade Nylander as long as he’s the GM and Kyle is a man of his words so i highly doubt he’ll ever trade him.

As for Robertson, i think he could really help us in the NHL but we have to do what’s better for his long term development so might as well keep him there if he’s playing good.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Again with that? Dubas said he will never trade Nylander as long as he’s the GM and Kyle is a man of his words so i highly doubt he’ll ever trade him.

As for Robertson, i think he could really help us in the NHL but we have to do what’s better for his long term development so might as well keep him there if he’s playing good.

No hate on the man my dude, I just view him as the most expendable of the forward group for a great D upgrade, I don't want him gone just simply stating my case as to why I would be comfortable if it happened.

As for Kyle and him, Gretzky was traded, let's not get it twisted if the leafs fail this coming playoffs he is 100% gone just to shake things up.

A word is one thing, a contract stipulating no trades is another, hockey is a business, every player knows that, and we treat our players with nothing but the highest of quality in leafs nation (management, not the fans) Marleau came, Thornton after, Spezza, they know it's 1st class.

Once you fail to win a cup, which I'm sure was talked about with Nylander and that handshake deal, after so long, things change.

I'm not saying they are going to, but the league and all players would understand at that point (another failing season) that we would have to make a big change.

Anyways my dude, it's a forum, everybody is entitled to their opinions, it's all good if we don't agree.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Honestly, one of the only good things about COVID is that guys like Nick get to play in the AHL. He’s too good for the OHL, but more of a 13th forward at the NHL level, not quite ready, especially physically.

If he can spend the full season with this Marlies, then come back next year bigger, stronger, and more experienced playing against men, he’ll be ready to make an impact with the Leafs from game 1 next season. Even at the start of next season, he’ll only just have turned 20.
He’s 19. I don’t mind him with the Marlies. It is a positive from covid :). There are many positives from covid actually. Maybe i just look for them and I’m dead wrong but the Canadian division is definitely another positive. He’s not playing a timid game in the Ahl. He poses back pressure like a pro. I’m not sure the Marlies talent level at forward really helps him score more. He’s being the set up guy more than i expected. He’s sucking up the expierence and showing more than scoring. Not opposed to him being there one little bit either.

Reactions: ponder

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
if not for the OHL starting up, I would keep Nick with the Marlies. It is exactly the level he is at. And quite frankly the AHL is a bit more physical, which plays harder into his deficiencies. He loses puck possession often due to the physical nature of the AHL. His skill level is 100% NHL ready, and maybe if he were to come up, depending on who he is lined up with could end up getting more space. But when you look at the root of his deficiencies it is 100% something that will play a factor in the show at the moment. Cycles tend to die on his tape because he is either losing 1 on 1 battles or getting pushed off the puck. Rather easily might I add. The point totals are great, but as some previous posters have said it is a tad fraudulent. #1 a handful of his assists were fluky secondary assists. #2 point totals never tell a true story. I am as high on Nick as anyone on this board, trust me. But he will struggle at the NHL level right now IMO. He will get points just because of his skill, but he will not come into the leafs right away and have the impact that Mitch/Willy/Auston had. I still think he is better off with the leafs vs the petes when the season fires up. He doesn't need to work on his skill and shot, which is what he would be doing in the O. He needs to get stronger, and learn how to compete against men. Which he can do in practice and limited games. I have no problem burning his 1st year ELC to get that development from him. And I certainly wouldn't just Healthy him every game. I'd give him probably 10-15 games depending on when he gets called up. Of course i could be completely wrong, and Nick could absolutely dominate at the NHL level right away, but from what I have seen so far I believe it will take a little time before he becomes that dominating player i think he projects to be

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah that's the thing that makes this an easier call - the OHL opening up will force the leafs to bring him up, cuz going back to the OHL would be useless for him, so might as well milk this AHL window for all its worth.

personally i'll feel much better about him playing for the Leafs if he can legit dominate AHL competition for a bit. So far in the AHL he is clearly very good, and pretty special for a 19yr old, but obviously could improve in some areas.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
There’s not much to dislike about this kid, but its reasonable to acknowledge that he’s young and relatively slight and is liable to need more exposure and development to more veteran play.
It’s a big jump to the best league in the world, so zipping him onto the second line is a big step.
To add, unrelated to NickRob: The same goes for Barabanov and Lehtonen; facing this level of competition for the first time is hard, and each team has different players and styles. Time and repetition and patience matter.
To add for 21-22, also unrelated to NickRob specifically: I’ll be saying the same thing about Lili, Sandin, and Anderson next year.

I think people got a bit carried away and because of the recent impacts of Matthews, Marner and Willie on this team soon after they joined, they expect a huge instant impact.

Robertson has a lot of what is needed to not only make it, but impact games. But he needs a little time in my opinion, to play a role in a team like the Marlies, where he can get used to being relied upon in a mens game.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m going to keep a close eye on his rookie group who are basically all the same age. The Marlies are not a very good team yet. The quality of linemates he plays with are not great.
His defensive play is on point. Thats the most important development curve we likely want to see.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Robertson is playing were he should be. Against men in the AHL for a full season. Let him learn his game and let his body continue to develop. This kid next season will be the real deal. I envision him as a solid top 6 winger that will score 30+ goals a season with 60+ pts yearly.

He has all the tools to be successful in this league. But I think for his development it is best to leave him in the AHL for this season unless all hell breaks out injury wise with the Leafs. Let him continue to progress.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The beautiful part about having a little bit of depth this year is that he can learn to play down in the NHL with no pressure to bring him up. Maybe later in the year we bring him up for a scoring boost in the playoffs, but there's no rush with the team sitting comfortably in a top spot and playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad