Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think this could work out for the best. Although he would have had a chance to make an impact on the Leafs, I'd rather having him playing every day in a key role for the Marlies than be hanging out on the third/fourth line for the Leafs. Maybe he would have been able to find a spot in the top 6, but from what I've read it sounds like he's not quite there. I can see the points he's put up but then there's also mention of the turnovers, needing to get stronger, etc. I don't want to rush his development just because we have a hole in our top 6; better to address that through a trade at the deadline unless the team is very confident he is ready.

In the long run it'll probably end up being better for him sure. I just don't like the order of events that led to this and feel bad for the kid.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Think Alex Galchenyuk gets a crack at it before Robertson. Don't have any problem seeing him hone his game before coming up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm frustrated on behalf of Robertson. He skips the WJC to work out and prepare to make the Leafs and as soon as he gets a shot to do so he's knocked out for weeks with an unfortunate injury. Then when he's healthy again that opportunity to play on the Leafs this season is never given back, as the organization is content to let him play for the Marlies. Through no fault of his own and piss poor luck he's lost the chance to make an impact on the big club.

He should have been sent to the WJC where he could have won that gold medal with the US team. I don't think it's wrong that his path to the NHL is longer. The Leafs are the first place team in the NHL and have serious cup aspirations. A kid working hard, making sacrifices should only get him in the conversation of making the team, not a guarantee of a spot. Keep going on the Marlies. The future is bright.

Reactions: Tmart335

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He should have been sent to the WJC where he could have won that gold medal with the US team. I don't think it's wrong that his path to the NHL is longer. The Leafs are the first place team in the NHL and have serious cup aspirations. A kid working hard, making sacrifices should only get him in the conversation of making the team, not a guarantee of a spot. Keep going on the Marlies. The future is bright.
Covid concerns have to be installed in the decision. I don’t mind him with the Marlies one little bit. WJHC’s was a management call that was decent under the circumstances. I’m not sure Robertson was that interested in the risk of going. He was fully NHL focused. There was a article on it back then that he was fine with the call

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
At this point I don't see him being an upgrade on Johnsson or Kappy and for me getting rid of them was necessary for TO to progress.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
At this point I don't see him being an upgrade on Johnsson or Kappy and for me getting rid of them was necessary for TO to progress.
Do you mean for the cap relief it provided? Or you didn't like what they brought to the Leafs?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

At same stage in their career I think Robertsoon is a better goal scorer and has a better offensive upside. He's defnitely more skilled than those two.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Its just that he has stated Nylander isn't going anywhere. So we have to believe him. Why hope for the impossible?
If it comes down to losing Hyman due to being capped out or trading away Nylander's contract I hope to hell he makes the right move and that's to trade Willy away.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If it comes down to losing Hyman due to being capped out or trading away Nylander's contract I hope to hell he makes the right move and that's to trade Willy away.

I think Kerfoot is the one to be moved to make room for Hyman's next contract.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Do you mean for the cap relief it provided? Or you didn't like what they brought to the Leafs?

It's the same type of game, when not scoring not really being an asset even tho the effort is sorta there.

At same stage in their career I think Robertsoon is a better goal scorer and has a better offensive upside. He's defnitely more skilled than those two.

He might be and that would be great, TO's current 3rd line doesn't have a lot of offensive upside but they can influence the game, be assets when on the ice without scoring.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

You do not trade Nylander to keep Hyman. Never mind the fact that Hyman should never make the kind of money where you need to consider trading a 7 mill player to keep him, you can replace Hyman a lot easier than you can replace Nylander.

Reactions: Jeypic

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm frustrated on behalf of Robertson. He skips the WJC to work out and prepare to make the Leafs and as soon as he gets a shot to do so he's knocked out for weeks with an unfortunate injury. Then when he's healthy again that opportunity to play on the Leafs this season is never given back, as the organization is content to let him play for the Marlies. Through no fault of his own and piss poor luck he's lost the chance to make an impact on the big club.

They can't play him on the Marlies forever, but I am sure he is happy to be playing big minutes and working on his game right now instead of toiling in a 4th line role or something. He is not quite NHL top 6 level yet and while he could maybe do some damage in a bottom 6, that chance may be given to him later on in the season.

For now, he has things to work on at the AHL level and I think he appreciates the opportunity he was given to compete for an NHL job instead of going to the WJC.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2019 Draftees

In NHL Currently:

#1 F J.Hughes (NJD): 82gms
#2 F K.Kakko (NYR): 85gms
#3 F K.Dach* (CHI): 73gms (hasn't actually played in the NHL this season yet)
#40 F N.Hoglander (VAN): 29gms
#7 F D.Cozens (BUF): 18gms
#4 D B.Byram (COL): 15gms
#22 D T.Bjornfoot (LAK): 14gms
#9 F T.Zegras (ANA): 7gms

Note: Only one of these guys is currently playing for a playoffs team (Byram for COL), and he's a part time dman getting #6 minutes when he plays, and Colorado is struggling.

In AHL Currently:

#53 F N.Robertson (TOR): 10gms, .90ppg (NHL - 5gms)
#5 F A.Turcotte (LAK): 7gms, .14ppg
#11 D V.Soderstrom (ARZ): 9gms, .22ppg (NHL - 2gms)
#18 D T.Harley (DAL): 10gms, .70ppg (NHL - 1gms)
#19 D L.Thomson (OTT): 8gms, .38ppg
#20 D V.Heinola (WPG): 16gms, .54ppg (NHL - 9gms)
#23 F S.Holmstrom (NYI): 53gms, .36ppg
#24 F P.Tomasino (NSH): 9gms, 1.00ppg
#25 F C.McMichael (WSH): 11gms, .64ppg (NHL - 1gms)
#27 F N.Foote (TBL): 10gms, .70ppg
#28 F R.Suzuki (CAR): 11gms, .55ppg
#33 D A.Kaliyev (LAK): 13gms, .46ppg (NHL - 1gms)
#41 D K.Korczak (VGK): 9gms, .22ppg
#44 F J.Rees (CAR): 10gms, .50ppg
#50 F S.Fagemo (LAK): 13gms, .69ppg
#56 F B.Leason (WSH): 61gms, .34ppg
#57 D S.Bolduc (NYI): 7gms, .71ppg
#59 G H.Jones (MIN): 4gms, .805sv%
#61 D N.Okhotyuk (NJD): 10gms, .10ppg
#69 D J.Ludvig (FLA): 9gms, .56ppg
#79 F P.Dorofeyev (VGK): 4gms, .75ppg
#80 F G.Clarke NJD): 6gms, .33ppg
#81 F C.Schwindt (FLA): 6gms, .17ppg
#82 D M.Vukojevic (NJD) 7gms, .71ppg
#103 D M.Millman (PHI): 7gms, .29ppg
#105 F M.Teply (CHI): 1gms, 0.00ppg
#125 F M.Kastelic (OTT): 7gms, .29ppg
#133 F C.Focht (VAN): 8gms, .38ppg
#141 F M.Primeau (VGK): 2gms, .00ppg
#156 G A.Silovs (VAN): 1gms, .920sv%
#168 F G.Meireless (FLA): 1gms, .00ppg
#170 F A.Khisamutdinov (MTL): 4gms, .25ppg
#171 F L.Burzan (COL): 4gms, .00ppg
#178 W F.Bibeau (NYI): 3gms, .33ppg
#194 D C.Moberg (CHI): 7gms, .29ppg
#201 F R.H-Pinard (MTL): 9gms, .56ppg
#202 G T.Miner (COL): 6gms, .903sv%
#209 F C.Coskey (NYI): 2gms, .50ppg
#212 F T.Aingle (CBJ): 2gms, 1.50ppg
#214 G D.Wolf (CGY): 3gms, .895sv%

Note: Robertson is the youngest player in this draft.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Maybe they're keeping him down there until they're done whatever trades they're going to do this for this season. It's too bad he got hurt, that really derailed things.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When you ask what do I think about this kid, I must assume 1 year out or playoffs. He is the kind of guy who will instantly make any line he is on better. He is a future top 6 guy and the reason we could move Kapanen to make cap room. They may want him to do the year in the minors so they can keep him cheap next year when cap crunch hits. Getting Thornton at 700k and Simmonds at 1.5 million isn't the norm. He will one day have impact and lift any line he is on but he may have to wait.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I can't see Robertson playing unless injuries pile up.

Kerfoot would have to be moved before he gets his chance. Hoping Robertson gets a full season next season.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Pardon my ignorance but if the OHL starts up does he have to go back or is he past whatever requirements and can play in the AHL?

Reactions: Teeder Keon

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Nobody thought Marchand would become as good as he did so you never know. I'm very high on him. He could become as good as Marchand but as a different player and that's my honest guess. Probably in the range of Gallagher to Marchand, but like Marchand his work ethic seems among the best from what I've heard. I say he peaks late and eventually becomes as good as Marchand is today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad